PDA

View Full Version : Darned Instability

Player0
06-23-2002, 09:47 PM
Hi guys,

I've developed an instability on my KX7 that I simply can't pin down. Not sure if its damaged ram or something else. One of my thoughts is that since im now forced to use DDR slots 1 and 4, that this could be the cause of my problems over 200mhz.

I seem to run Prime95, 3dmark, n64 emu, sandra...they run fine, no problems that I can see. Except that entirely randomly, my video will go out, or the machine will hard freeze, with no indication from Prime or anything that there is a problem. Also, when I boot up the PC, my windows icons look funny. If i use the TweakUI Rebuild Icons utility, this fixes things until my next reboot.

Can anyone test/confirm if there are stability issues using DDR in 1 and 4? Especially Corsair XMS3000 256m units? Its one of the few things I cant rule out on my own at the time being. I may have to make special adjustments to the BIOS in order to accomidate slots 1 and 4.

Player0
06-24-2002, 10:45 AM
Huh...I think I found it. Originally, Opp told me to use a DCLK Delay of 840ops with the KX7 for best stability. But, I find if i set that back to Auto when using DIMM 1 and 4, I actually become more stable.

I have to assume that having the 4th slot populated just causes minor signal delays itself, so I dont need the extra. Maybe.

Still wondering if anyone else out there has tried 1 and 4 and has similar results?

damn1
06-25-2002, 12:48 PM
Try slots 1 and 3 counting from the CPU... I heard somewhere ( i think it was http://www.hardocp.com) that the memory slots have a single voltage regulator per pair. This will kep the traces shorter, but still providing optimal voltage to both stix. I assume both stix are the same...

Player0
06-25-2002, 01:55 PM
1 and 3 really are best, but i was stuck using 1 and 4 for reasons.