PDA

View Full Version : Strange winxp pro problem

piercedandtatto
05-12-2003, 07:09 AM
I just installed xp pro yesterday and im getting a stange problem ive never seen before. About every 2 seconds my computer hangs for a split second over and over again....kinda reminds me of a heart beat. Every beat stops everything even my curser. while installing programs u can see the instalation progress pausing for a splt second then continuing. And the worst is playing ut2003 every 2 steps i take i get a pause and if i try to fire during one of the pauses it doesnt fire till afterwards. it will do this for about 30 seconds and then stop for a minuter or two the continue again. Also my hard drive activity light flashes in conjunction with the pauses. If any one has any idea what this is or why its happening plaese let me know cuz if i cant get it fixed i beleive im gonna put my copy of xp home back on....i never had this problem till til i installed the pro version.

P.S. I have installed sp1 and all the updates from microsoft and have the latest bios and drivers for everything on my system.

Smizack
05-12-2003, 03:26 PM
Is it a clean install, or installed over another os?
And try turning off system restore and any power management that might be running.

piercedandtatto
05-13-2003, 06:47 PM
i installed over windows xp home wich i had just reinstalled fresh a few weeks ago. i turned off system restore and all power management and its still doing it.

Attitudx
05-13-2003, 07:32 PM
other than something running in the background it might be best to just install xp pro fresh rather than over home atleast i think that was what smizack was getting around to. I know i installed it over ME and had nothing but troubles

piercedandtatto
05-14-2003, 07:41 AM
i found out it was my norton personal security doing it
i uninstalled it and didnt have the problem. i then reinstalled it and it started doing it again. i just uninstalled it again and everything is fine. Only problem now is i have no antivirus.

Smizack
05-14-2003, 04:01 PM
Yeah, I didn't think of that. Norton sucks. I used to love it untill I had 400+ people using it.

Look into PcCillin. It's a much better A/V than Norton, McCaffe and all the other "name brand" crap.

Attitudx
05-14-2003, 04:34 PM
ok my 2 pennies PcCillian is what you need, panda is not bad but is spensive. PCcillian works great and I have had no problems with it sometimes i forget it is running. Great for the mizoney

Firelord-OCHW
05-16-2003, 06:41 AM
Nortons is the best on the market at the moment imho and is easy to use and just works, self updates and checks email.

PC Cillin is not very good imho

piercedandtatto
05-16-2003, 07:06 AM
i just found out it wasnt my nortons....it is still doing it. i have no clue what this is but it is very annoying.

Smizack
05-16-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Firelord-OCHW
Nortons is the best on the market at the moment imho and is easy to use and just works, self updates and checks email.

PC Cillin is not very good imho

Wait untill your admining hundreds of computers on various os's.
I believe after a few months you'll be singing a differant story.