PDA

View Full Version : PS3 - what you need to know

MUCHO
12-28-2006, 10:42 PM
Hello I bought a PS3 but before I did I went and read everything I could on it. I may keep it - I may take it back. Read on.

Gaming
First of all - the developer tools are difficult to use unlike the 360. While ultimately the PS3 has signifigantly more power but because it is more difficult to program for we may see the exclusive Playstation titles going away. This will also lower the number of games developed. In simple terms - developers are currently working hard to get 25-30 FPS out of games that the 360 can chug out 45-50 FPS.

Second - When the power of the PS3 is harnessed - it is a thing of beauty. The GT HD demo is the best looking game ever on a console. I've spent extensive time with the 360 and there are some impressive games especially Gears of War but GT HD demo is fantastic and its a completely unfinished product. I can see many ways they can improve the graphics and with the release a long ways off it probably will happen.

Third - The Online 360 setup completely destroys the PS3 in many ways. Although you have to pay a small fee with the 360 it is well worth it. Also - with the PS3 when you are downloading you can't do anything else. Want the GT HD demo? D/L it overnight because it will tie up your PS3 for 3 hours. PS3 may be able to improve their software with an update but for now - its like a beta product.

Video
Personally I didn't buy a PS3 for the games. I bought it for the Blu-Ray. I haven't actually seen HD-DVD in person but as an active AVS forum member I feel pretty qualified to say that HD-DVD and Blu-Ray differ only in the titles in terms of appearance. So - why did I buy the PS3 if a HD-DVD player is less? Time! The PS3 will start playing a Blu-Ray disc in about 15 seconds from being off. Pop the disc in and you're running. By far the fastest loading HD system.

360 has the HD-DVD add on but you're using VGA and optical out for the sound. PS3 uses HDMI which of course makes the PS3 superior in particular for sound if you have a HDMI capable reciever.

Why am I considering returning mine? Well - even though I have a 92" screen with a projector there isn't a huge difference between standard DVD upscaled and Blu-Ray. There is a difference but for me I don't know if it is worth the money. So - I have rented a few Blu-Ray discs and we'll see.

I think the PS3 has a lot of potential. We'll see what happens...

ahmad
12-29-2006, 02:28 AM
Thanks, I appreciate the unbiased opinion you have.

Soulburner
12-29-2006, 03:16 AM
Games are starting to emerge that are equalling or slightly beating the 360 - Tony Hawk Project 8 and Fight Night Round 3 to name a couple, are preferred to be played on the PS3. In time we will see what they can really do.

And yeah their online setup is pretty much considerered to still be "in the works" but its coming along nicely and it is free to play.

One other thing I think users are really going to like is the user-removeable laptop HD ;)

Ubrak
01-03-2007, 03:18 PM
I am of the same thinking as mucho. I do find though that the blu-ray movies have more detail and are more sharp vs. DVD. Talladaga isn't a good example either lol, the Superman Returns blu-ray is though. NBA 07' has some pretty nice graphics. I did need to buy a new A/V receiver (Yamaha RX-V2700) though as my older Kenwood doesn't have HDMI ports and to get the best sound via the PS3 you need to push it to the receiver via HDMI. I agree to that many of the soon or just out games are starting to showcase the PS3's abilities better.

I have a 61" Samsung DLP 1080p set that I play on.

Ub

Kingcarcas
01-06-2007, 12:38 AM
Games are starting to emerge that are equalling or slightly beating the 360 - Tony Hawk Project 8 and Fight Night Round 3
Look in the background of FN3 screenies and compare them to the 360:cool:

Soulburner
01-06-2007, 02:57 AM
Look in the background of FN3 screenies and compare them to the 360:cool:
Gameinformer reviewed both games. FN3 had extra time between the 360 and PS3 launches. You think the developers were sitting on their behinds doing nothing? They said it looked better on the PS3.

Anyway what's in the background, and how often are you looking back there in a heated fight?

sephiroth8748
01-08-2007, 11:01 PM
The newer blu ray movies are looking much better than the 1st gen ones. I recommend checking out Ice Age 2.

Kingcarcas
01-11-2007, 11:25 PM
Gameinformer reviewed both games. FN3 had extra time between the 360 and PS3 launches. You think the developers were sitting on their behinds doing nothing? They said it looked better on the PS3.

Anyway what's in the background, and how often are you looking back there in a heated fight?
It's really horrid, i think it was gamespot who did comparisons between 360 and PS3 games. The point was that devs are having a hard time getting PS3 games to look as good as the 360 version.

mukmaster
06-29-2007, 04:28 PM
Great read I my self want a ps3 becuase well there the most powerfull F@H system out there and you can easily install Linux on them.

GPL3.0 is out