PDA

View Full Version : Little help setting up pelt :)

Gamer67
05-12-2003, 01:29 AM
Got my 172w pelt today....

What I need to know is which way is up or does it matter ?

One side has some numbers printed on it but other than that there is no way to tell if I need to put it on a certain way.

Also I assume that I just wire it up directly to the meanwell, nothing is needed in between ?

Do I need to take any voltage measurements from the meanwell ?

thanks

Teus
05-12-2003, 01:56 AM
hi there

when pelting, check the following
1. can you cool it decently? it'll dissipate the heat of the pelt AND the heat of the CPU. watercooling is required, aircooling is a no go.
so you'll have to cool down about 250-300Watt's, that's a lot!
2. 172 W is powerful enough to cool most CPU's.
3. insulate it well, condensation occurs when the temps go below ~10°
4. let that TEC draw power from a dedicated PSU unless you've got a 550W model or so ;)
most peltiers draw 12volt, but 16v and 24v models also exist. check that on your pelt; if it's 12volt you can directly hook it up to a PSU
5. remember that wires of pelts snap of real easily
6. be sure to put the cold side on the CPU and the hot side faced to the cooling part (you might find that printed on the pelt), otherwise hook the pelt up to a PSU, you'll find out what the cold side is :)
if you connect the wires the other way (positive lead: 0, black lead: 12v) the effect will be reversed (cool side warming up and vice versa)

good luck!

TheDude
05-12-2003, 03:15 AM
GooD Advice

Welcome Teus :D

Teus
05-12-2003, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by TheDude
GooD Advice

Welcome Teus :D

]JR[
05-12-2003, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by Teus
hi there

when pelting, check the following
2. 172 W is powerful enough to cool most CPU's.
3. insulate it well, condensation occurs when the temps go below ~10°
4. let that TEC draw power from a dedicated PSU unless you've got a 550W model or so ;)
most peltiers draw 12volt, but 16v and 24v models also exist. check that on your pelt; if it's 12volt you can directly hook it up to a PSU
5. remember that wires of pelts snap of real easily
6. be sure to put the cold side on the CPU and the hot side faced to the cooling part (you might find that printed on the pelt), otherwise hook the pelt up to a PSU, you'll find out what the cold side is :)
if you connect the wires the other way (positive lead: 0, black lead: 12v) the effect will be reversed (cool side warming up and vice versa)

good luck!

2, isnt exactly accurate, youll get around ambient or just below with an overclocked cpu and 172, and around 8degrees @ stock.
3, its dependant on the dew point which changes depending on pressure, rh and temperature, but like you say the more condensation prevention the better.
4, 172watt tecs are all 24v afaik, but 2 atx's in series will power it easily, or a dedicated psu
5, yup they do, be carefull
6, yeah the effect is reversable but put it on a 9v pp3 battery and you can feel the coldside nicely.

Cheers,

]JR[