PDA

View Full Version : Computer detroyed at a LAN, need advice

WASD
12-28-2006, 06:49 PM
Long story short: my new conroe rig has been killed in under a week from the date of delivery. Someone at a lan wanted to borrow my memory and I said no, since I don't trust him with that kind of thing and it was(sniffle, was) a 300 dollar 2 gig kit of d9's. So he waits till I'm not around, takes it, uses it, and returns it to my case, and acts like nothing happened.

Problem: he put it in backwards. Don't ask me how, I can't even begin to imagine, but as a result, my mobo and ram are dead, and I don't know if this could have affected the cpu. He will definately be paying for the broken motherboard and memory, but I need to know if my cpu could have been damaged when I turned it on to discover what he had done.

Thx

nn_step
12-28-2006, 06:55 PM
it SHOULDN"T have effected the CPU

Movieman
12-28-2006, 07:04 PM
Long story short: my new conroe rig has been killed in under a week from the date of delivery. Someone at a lan wanted to borrow my memory and I said no, since I don't trust him with that kind of thing and it was(sniffle, was) a 300 dollar 2 gig kit of d9's. So he waits till I'm not around, takes it, uses it, and returns it to my case, and acts like nothing happened.

Problem: he put it in backwards. Don't ask me how, I can't even begin to imagine, but as a result, my mobo and ram are dead, and I don't know if this could have affected the cpu. He will definately be paying for the broken motherboard and memory, but I need to know if my cpu could have been damaged when I turned it on to discover what he had done.

Thx
I would find this guy and Thank him in a way that would effect his ability to walk and father children for a very long time.
I agree with nn_step..your cpu should be fine but he owes you for the MB and ram..

\/icious
12-28-2006, 07:12 PM
I would find this guy and Thank him in a way that would effect his ability to walk and father children for a very long time.
I agree with nn_step..your cpu should be fine but he owes you for the MB and ram..
lol i would have shoved the ram and mb up his ass and then congratulated him on his new purchase

Movieman
12-28-2006, 07:28 PM
lol i would have shoved the ram and mb up his ass and then congratulated him on his new purchase
As long as it was inserted sideways I'd agree with you!:D

RichUK
12-28-2006, 07:45 PM
WOAH, that’s harsh, and just plain wrong!

In this case, violence IS the only option.

WASD
12-28-2006, 07:48 PM
As long as it was inserted sideways I'd agree with you!:D
AHAHAHA. Yeah... unfortunately he was gone by the time I got back and sorted it all out. I was completely dumbfounded at first because I left someone to guard it while I was gone. Apparently he just kinda sat there and said "don't do that" a few times. Ugh.

So I had to call him and quietly chew him out, then arrange for him to pick up the damaged stuff along with an invoice to show the amount he owes. Needless to say, I was stunned when I found the memory backwards. I thumbed the side catch off and it popped halfway out. About then, I realized only one person could be responsible for this. I'll be leaving for San Diego tomorrow, so this was all very, very stressful for me. At first I considered doing a newegg rma, but the more I thought about it, I realized I didn't have the time, energy, or will to defraud my favorite etailer for 500 USD to save this guys sorry ass.

So he'll probably have to return his brand new e6400 and pull any stuff he's loaned out. Which means one or two of my buddies will be without a mobo/cpu. So I'll have to cover them with bits from my old rig instead of ebaying it. Arrrrrr....

But it sounds like the cpu will be fine, which makes me very happy. :)

[XC] riptide
12-28-2006, 07:59 PM
Hey... I put ram in the wrong way once... (was dark...blah blah) . MB and ram were nuked... but the proc worked fine. It was an AXP2200 I think. :) Palomino if I'm correct.

WASD
12-28-2006, 08:07 PM
Hey... I put ram in the wrong way once... (was dark...blah blah) . MB and ram were nuked... but the proc worked fine. It was an AXP2200 I think. :) Palomino if I'm correct.
Good to hear(the cpu part, that is). God, I'm going to San Diego and all I can think about is the financial mess this has created, and ZOMG I'm going to a city AMD named a core after111! :D

Ajfina
12-28-2006, 08:17 PM
It sounds like a HUGE headache for u to get that money back or ur stuff dude, obviously u can not return an open and used CPU , so forget about the guy returrning that E6300 (if he used allready) ,

StealthyFish
12-28-2006, 08:19 PM
wow, what a :banana::banana::banana:. your CPU should be fine.

i'd take a baseball bat to the :banana::banana::banana: and then go out and buy a lock for my side door so idiots like that guy won't be able to jack my stuff at bit LANs.

Omastar
12-28-2006, 08:21 PM
I would say ruin some of his future computer hardware, but the hardware is an innocent third party here. So I say you should 'accidentally' break a few of his ribs. ;)

Good luck getting your machine back to working state, man. :toast:

WASD
12-28-2006, 08:57 PM
As much as I really want to break his windshield, I'm more concerned with getting my money than getting revenge. Unfortunately a number of people have lost my trust after this, and I don't think I'll be LANing again until I have a lock for my case. I can't believe I'm actually going to have to lock my case. Anyways, heres links to the destroyed stuff so everybody can weep over my fried baby :p

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231065

^my precious d9's, KIA and probably out of stock or using different chips by the time I have the cash to rebuy

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131045

^my p5b dlx. Nothing special, but it's another 180 bucks and 2 hours I spent prepping the board for action(pull everything off, clean, sand, polish, repaint with good TIM, replace).

PS- now would be the time to request a spare vreg, capacitor, northbridge.... :D

Emerica
12-28-2006, 09:07 PM
Bro, that is completely and totally messed up. Do you know the guy and will he pay for your stuff? I have a Chemning case and theres an option of locking it on the side. If I go to a LAN ever in my life I am going to definitely lock my case. Anyway, I really hope that you get everything sorted out because that really sucks.

WASD
12-28-2006, 09:33 PM
Oh he'll pay. If he didn't I'd be really pissed. This made me mad, but not enough to do anything but demand payment. I have a relatively cool head and am rarely angered to the point of violence. Still, if he somehow found the stones to tell me he wouldn't pay, I would probably slash his tires and break his windows.

NickS
12-28-2006, 09:40 PM
I would probably slash his tires and break his windows.

Can I come? :D

Magnj
12-28-2006, 11:03 PM
I think your CPU should be broken ;) ;)...get something for your time and agony.

StealthyFish
12-29-2006, 08:43 AM
I think your CPU should be broken ;) ;)...get something for your time and agony.

haha.... Hmm...... I think this guy's got a point.....

zert
12-29-2006, 09:25 AM
héhé i 2nd. make it (financially) really painfull for the guy. so next time he might think twice about "borrowing" stuff. and keep his nooby hands off brand new and expensive hardware :cool:

StealthyFish
12-29-2006, 09:41 AM
héhé i 2nd. make it (financially) really painfull for the guy. so next time he might think twice about "borrowing" stuff. and keep his nooby hands off brand new and expensive hardware :cool:

yeah. if he's askin for RAM, i don't think it's worth smashin the guy's comp. your effort to smash his comp would be worth more than his setup. that tire slitting and window smashing sounds worth the effort... that and a free CPU, motherboard, and RAM :-D

alucasa
12-29-2006, 10:35 AM
At least, the OP knows who did it.

Imagine someone stealing one's lan rig and never find out who did it. Now that would suck.

Magnj
12-29-2006, 10:50 AM
I would not suggest doing any damage to any of his property...keep it civil.

Omastar
12-29-2006, 02:48 PM
I would not suggest doing any damage to any of his property...keep it civil.

Okay, dad. :p:

Do this: get a written agreement from him, with a copy of the invoice, to pay for everything he ruined, and make him sign it. If he refuses to pay at some point in the future, you'll have an airtight case in small claims court, then he'll really be screwed because the judge will likely award you more money than the cost of your parts alone; you could make the case that you needed that computer for work, and you've been losing money as a direct result, and man, this jerkoff will wish SO BAD that he just paid you.

Just a thought. ;)

WASD
12-29-2006, 04:57 PM
Alright, our flight to San Diego is cancelled and he says the stuff is working now. Bastard. Apparently he's run sandra tests and it all checks out. What I think he did is go to frys, buy another of my mobo, switch it and return for cash. I don't really even care at this point, but I don't know what to do about the memory. Could it be fine? Could everything be fine after a cmos reset? What should I do? THere's a chance that the the memory was half inserted because of the divider in the middle and the problem was temporary, but when I put it right, it still power cycled and did nothing. I'm very lost right now and I could use some solid advice. I really want to reject it all, but that may not be practical. Help?

WASD
12-29-2006, 06:37 PM
Well, nevermind the above post. I went over, and while he was was trying to show how it was working fine it reverted to power cycling and crashing out before getting anywhere near functional. So I've arranged to be paid for the mobo and ram in cash. I'll test the cpu when I get the new stuff, and if its toast, I'll be adding that to the bill. Thx for all the advice.

zerolise
01-01-2007, 08:25 AM

Thx

Why bother with the details on the RAM or the CPU - what he broke was your COMPUTER. Get him to fix the COMPUTER problem in totality since he was the one who broke your COMPUTER.

icon57
01-02-2007, 08:53 AM
Bro, that is completely and totally messed up. Do you know the guy and will he pay for your stuff? I have a Chemning case and theres an option of locking it on the side. If I go to a LAN ever in my life I am going to definitely lock my case. Anyway, I really hope that you get everything sorted out because that really sucks.

same here...got to love the locking side panel and front door!

WASD
01-07-2007, 12:59 PM
Unfortunately he is now refusing to pay for the RAM or mobo. He has attempted to demonstrate the functionality of the board twice now, saying it was fine, but not once did it make it into windows, etc. It gets halfway there from a cold boot, but then it degenerates into power cycling on and off until you cut the power.

The memory works in other boards, and he allegedly ran a Sandra test without errors, but after reading up on the subject, I don't think I want to take back my probably crippled D9's. So I'm going to wrestle with him a little more, then file a police report. What pisses me off the most is that he has the audacity to admit that he has probably wrecked my machine, and say that he doesn't believe I can hold him responsible. What a douche. Here's hoping I'll have a computer in less than a month.

StealthyFish
01-07-2007, 01:09 PM
Unfortunately he is now refusing to pay for the RAM or mobo. He has attempted to demonstrate the functionality of the board twice now, saying it was fine, but not once did it make it into windows, etc. It gets halfway there from a cold boot, but then it degenerates into power cycling on and off until you cut the power.

The memory works in other boards, and he allegedly ran a Sandra test without errors, but after reading up on the subject, I don't think I want to take back my probably crippled D9's. So I'm going to wrestle with him a little more, then file a police report. What pisses me off the most is that he has the audacity to admit that he has probably wrecked my machine, and say that he doesn't believe I can hold him responsible. What a douche. Here's hoping I'll have a computer in less than a month.

wow, that guy needs to get his :banana::banana::banana:got ass kicked back into shape. Sorry you got to deal with this idiot.

squilliam
01-07-2007, 01:17 PM
Good thing you live near him and this wasn't some
random tard from the LAN.