PDA

View Full Version : 3dmark tweaking guide

mackanz
06-23-2002, 02:10 PM
3Dmark 2001 Guide by Mackanz

Hi all tweakers!

I thought I could contribute with some experiences around the secrets of tweaking the system to the max for benchmarking.
I know that memory bandwidth is a must with this benchmarking program, but with a bad tweaked system, it really doesn’t matter how many GHZ and flops you got.
I am no guru when it comes to Microsoft program but I have tried all kinds of tweaks and combos now and I think I have found what works best for me and what I think will cover the basics for a 3dmark setup.
I think it is better to say that I have a AMD rig and some parts of this guide does not include an Intel setup as that system uses another software. (4 in 1)
First of all Win2K professional is a must, no other OS can provide speed and stability as Win2K.
Whether you decide to change cluster size on the HD and partitions, I’ll leave that up to you but I always try to have 32 or 64, not standard 4 which I believe win2K installs as default.
Oh and yes, NTFS is included in that as well.
The best is if you have 2 hd:s as it is the best to put the swap file on the first partition on a 2:nd hd, preferably not on the same channel as the first hd.
Install Win2K and SP2, you don’t have to install SP1 if you have the 2: nd.
Install via 4 in 1 version 4.37 since that version is the fastest right now. Then install DirectX 8.1.
Now proceed with the install of the important small programs such as Winzip or Winace and your internet setup.
Wait with the graphics and the tweak programs such as Rivatuner or Tweak3D.
Instead get a program called Drive Image 2002 and simply make an image of your now cleanly installed Win2K.
I have done too many reinstallations in the last 9 months without finding an image program that worked successfully as Drive Image 2002 does.
When the image is written and safely putted on another partition, proceed with the graphic drivers.
In my and in many others cases, it’s the Detonators.
I have noticed that mixing the 29.40´s with Via 4.37 gives me the best results by far and i have tested almost all other combos such as 4.39 and the newest detonators, but only to find that this combo is the best.
Defrag the HD as often as you can, all systems like that.
I find that the swap file is fastest if I set it to min 480 and max 480 with 256 of ram.
Don’t touch anything in the detonator properties, let Rivatuner handle that.
Uninstall all unnecessary programs in windows.
Find a file called sysoc.inf and delete the “hide” section in the lines where programs that you want to uninstall is. Leave the commas (,,).
Then go to install/uninstall windows programs and uninstall the stuff that you don’t need.
Run regedit and go to: HKLM/system/currentcontrolset/control/session manager/memory management and set the disableexecutivepaging(This has caused bootproblems for some members, be aware) to =1, Largesystemcache=1(this has also caused problems for some members, be aware), IOpagelocklimit=16384 in decimal, Secondleveldatacache=256 or the same as your L2 cache size in decimal.
Reboot and run regedit again and go to HKLM and turn off the fileprotection:
Software/Microsoft/windowsNT/currentversion/winlogon and change the value of SFCDisable to REG_DWORD “ffffff9d”.
Reboot windows and turn off OS2 and POSIX servers by finding and delete following files: OS2.exe, OS2SRV.exe, PSXSS.exe, OS2SS.exe and POSIX.exe.
In system.ini , add the following line under 386enh: ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1
Before hitting the start bench button in 3dmark, change the priority of the program to realtime in the task manager.

This is just a few tweaks that I have found all over Internet and I have tried them all.
There are probably a lot more to do but I shouldn’t write about things that I haven’t tried myself. I leave the Rivatuner guide up to MrIcee as I think he is far superior in that program than us other.
Some warning stuff though: This guide is NOT for a normal daily use partition and i strongly recommend backups and such before doing this and off course..i will not be responsible for any damage, this is totally up to you. I would vever got a 3dmark such as my 13200k+ without doing all this and tweaking Rivatuner, and just to be sure, i reinstalled the image and did this all again and i got the same points.

Happy benching!!

Thanks to mbrock for letting me know of some problems that this guide may cause.
It seems after some testing that the above warnings about the disableexecutivepaging and Largesystemcache problems is caused when combining theese settings with running Cacheman. At least that is what happened to me.

Mac

damn1
06-25-2002, 10:11 AM
VIA Raid Perf Patch (http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=66) should be installed if you use RAID or SCSI on 8233, 8233a, or 8233c. I think it's up to version 1.05 now

Marci
06-25-2002, 12:34 PM
someone make this sticky.... ;)

Paul.K
06-25-2002, 12:50 PM
We need an admin in here.....

DDTUNG
06-25-2002, 03:01 PM
Done.:)

DDTUNG:cool:

2xD
07-01-2002, 09:43 AM
Don't know if you know it (chance is that you do :)), but at the D3D settings at the Dislay Properties, there this nice selectbox, allowing to choose for "best quality" to "best performance".
Use the latter and see your nature scores rise up :)

(or is this cheating?)

DisposableHero
07-12-2002, 01:26 PM
i set it to best performance from teh box just being blank... didnt seem to help at all

mackanz
07-12-2002, 03:10 PM
It is blank because when using Rivatuner, you use much greater LOD than available through the driver.
When using the driver at "for performance" that is around -1 or -2 in the LOD in Rivatuner.
For 3dmark, that is way to much detail.
In other words:

Stay away from the driver details if you are using the Rivatuner and the LOD tweak within it.

Mac

Gamer
08-05-2002, 01:06 AM
This could help the people with Win 98 or Me OS :)

First of all I want to say that the following tweaks are a composite of a lot of dedicated overclockers tweaks …bye NO means are they all my original ideas ! Over the years I have compiled a fairly large database of clockers that I respect and mix and match THEIR ideas to come up with this guide. I scour the various overclocking forums to pick up information and listen in on various ideas and try them out for myself. Some but not all of the guys whose ideas went into this guide are as follows, Macci, Gibbo, Digital Jesus, Chromozone, Mr Natural, Green Beret, the chillblast Borg and a lot more if I left you out I am sorry…but I do thank all for their input and help over the years.

Following OS tweaks are for Windows 98se and Me and Nvidea Cards.

First and foremost know your system, you should have a clean fresh install of your os, and all the latest drivers, Via 4 in 1, Direct X 8.1. Fresh clean install of all VGA drivers. Check out the system and make sure all is well , then Defrag.

Run a baseline benchmark and publish it for future reference.

Set typical role of computer to NETWORK SERVER.

Set Virtual memory to ½ of your system memory minimum

Set maximum to 2 times your system memory

Install Cacheman utility, Turn on “conservative file swap usage”

On the cache tab use the following values:
32MB:
Min: 6144
Max: 6144

64MB:
Min: 12288
Max: 12288

128MB:
Min: 25600
Max: 25600

256MB:
Min: 51200
Max: 51200

Open up system .inf file I notepad and add the following line under the {386EnH} section,ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1

Using notepad again, edit your config.sys file: Enter REM in front of all lines/entries.
Now enter [b] Stacks=0,0 on a new line
Open up Autoexec.bat file and add REM in front of every line.
Now go to START, select RUN, and type msconfig, go to startup tab and click on, Untick all the boxes except explorer and systray.

Right click my computer, select Trouble Shooting and disable System Restore.
Disable power savings in windows
Disable System Scheduler
Disable features in display properties to enhance image quality : like “show icons using all possible colors.
Have very few icons on desktop

Run clean disk
Run scan disk
Run defrag disk

Install RivaTuner or NVMAX…the following tweaks are for RivaTuner.

Open up RivaTuner: Select the tab that says Graphics card click on this.
Click on enable hardware overclocking…move up by 10 and test and apply (ex 220/460 stock go 230/470) now run a second benchmark to make sure everthing is ok, score will increase.

In RivaTuner Under Power Users Section enable mipmaps

In RivaTuner under DirectX, under Textures,set amount of RAM for PCI textures to 0
Enable 8-bit palettized textures.
Set Degree of anistrophy to “force level 0 (off use nearest point)
Disable Vsync
Enable Side band addressing
Set Lod Bias Range to 15
Then go into DirectX section and set the following values.
Car Chase – 10.0
Dragothic – 12.0
Lobby – 4.0
Nature – 3.1
Under Display set resolution at madonion default of 1024x768x32
Change refresh rate to 60hz

Run scan disk
Run Defrag

Run another benchmark score will increase

Shutdown , restart go into Bios and set your memory timings

Cas2-2-2
4 Way Bank Interweave
1t Command rate
Enable fast writes &
Side Band addressing
Note real power users KNOW their Bio’s setting better than Motherboard manufacturer's
They follow forums for latest issues and Bio’s flashes and know their Bio’s inside out and try all types of Very aggressive memory settings for that you have to research your motherboards strengths and weakness on various overclocking forums and YOU must have high quality ram and cooling.

The next tweak is to raise your FSB up as high as possible and remain stable it has been my experience that a higher FSB raises scores and FPS better than anything with exception of overclocking Graphics card… In other words 10 x 150fsb is faster than 11.5 x 130fsb even though they both = 1500 Mhz

Once you find out where your fsb is maxed out and stable go back and run another benchmark. Your score will increase, now go back and overclock your card in small increments and keep running benchmarks , your scores will keep increasing …until you start getting a load of artifacts back it down and there you are. Can you go faster still? YES with better graphiccard cooling,ram cooling and of course cpu cooling …but that’s for next time :-)

Now the disclaimer you do all the above Tweaks and tips at your own risk , No one is LIABLE but YOU…. I know other people who benchmark DON’T do things in this order and don’t defrag etc as much as I do but this method works for me…….. take care and enjoy………Bulldog

CrawlingEye
10-03-2002, 01:38 PM
Trying a few of the tweaks now. I'll bench and post results after I'm back from class.

shray
10-03-2002, 06:49 PM
Just a little tip for win xp users, try turning on 3dmark, then pressing ctl-alt-del and going to the processes and finding it, right clicking it, and changing priority to REAL TIME.

Worx for me increasing my score by 50 somethings points.

BNN
10-10-2002, 11:34 PM
Can someone help with some LOD settings for the different tests with GF3?:)

X Men SS
10-15-2002, 10:43 AM
I'm not 100% sure these are for GF3 but you can try them :) :

Car Chase - 10.0
Dragothic - 12.0
Lobby - 4.0
Nature - 3.1

BNN
10-15-2002, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by X Men SS
I'm not 100% sure these are for GF3 but you can try them :) :

Car Chase - 10.0
Dragothic - 12.0
Lobby - 4.0
Nature - 3.1
Allready tried them but the score was lower than with fixed LOD 4. But with Ti 4600 these settings worked great.

Kunaak
11-05-2002, 12:28 AM
wow dude your really hardcore...
I tried a few of the things that I could easily understand and got an easy 400 over my average.

the one that seemed to help me the most was 2 things, one I found in another post her about 20 minutes ago, but thats specifc to my motherboard.
the other that was helpful was setting the priority level.

DuraN
12-07-2002, 04:14 PM
I have heard people talking about that running for example nature first, then drago, then car and so on, or something like that

What is the best order to run the different tests ?

KingInge2000
12-18-2002, 01:06 AM
This guide is about 6 month old!
Are there any new tweaks and drivecombinations which work better?
Is W2K still the No 1 choice 4 AMD user?

DuraN
12-18-2002, 09:08 AM
Win2k is still the OS for AMD users, yes. The driver combo that seem to give the best performance now is Det 40.52+VIA 4.45(or 4.43+4.40 AGP driver).

Pimp!
12-30-2002, 06:54 AM
k im a bit confused, i looked through riva tuner, but... how do you set certain settings to certain bits of 3dmark??

im just dumfounded ;p

FishaOfMen
01-12-2003, 02:10 PM
For most NVidia cards, 40.52 is best in Win2k. For the GF3 Ti200, however, 40.72 is the way to go.

ALT-F13
04-09-2003, 01:17 AM
Ok. another 3 months passed. seems to me that it's time to update this guide. Sum questions that wasn't covered b4 and i think alotta people will find it pretty useful:

1. WHAT ABOUT ATI's CARDS? Best drivers, best OS? What do you think 'bout Soft9800 script?
2. Any tips for Intel users?
3. Is 40.52 still king of the hill? How 'bout 42.xx & 43.xx?
4. Alternative chipsets tips are welcome: nVidia, SiS (actually 655 for me is a good choice)...
5. And the biggest question: SPECIFIC TIPS FOR 3DMARK03!!! There are just a few over Net:(

All 5 questions a poorly covered in guides and tips that i've found (and i found plenty of 'em:)).

Now i'm working on russian guide for 3DMark2001 best performance, that's why i digged alotta forums and tweaking guides. Hope to translate it in English for your pleasure, 'cos that's a tons of small tips i've heard from different people (maybe about 50 something different threads in forums and guide used) and they are not united in one consolidated guide. After i finish that guide i will start digging for 3DM03 info...

mackanz
05-21-2003, 02:02 PM
I have no problems if you guys delete this thread. Tech has grown a bit since this.

Mac

IFMU
05-21-2003, 03:34 PM
I dont think it should be deleted, it is still helpful to some I am sure.
Now if others think so as well, I could see it being unstuck, but not deleted. ;)

Alas, I will leave that to the 3DMark Mods to decide, Ill stay outta that.

charlie
07-07-2003, 09:35 AM
Alt F13,
I'm sure everybody would like to see a fresh compilation of 3d tips...

ALT-F13
08-01-2003, 01:32 AM
Ok, i'll translate it in english... I go for vacation next week and there i'll work on new guide. It'll be aimed on R9x00 & FX5900 probably. Too bad that radeons are so boring in tweaking.

st0nedpenguin
11-05-2003, 06:27 AM
Just a wee word, the ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1 tip only applies to Win9x systems.

Mathias-K
12-02-2003, 02:28 PM
Hmmm... I'm not a total n00b, but how do you run the different test one at a time? Could it give ANYTHING with mere air cooling?

SPQQKY
01-16-2004, 09:49 AM
Yes, it makes a big difference for me. Using my 5700 Ultra, I run each test individually. This allows time between tests for the GPU to cool so that you do not experience lockups. It's simple really, just go to the Selected Tests and click Change..., then select the Custom tab, got to the bottom and select Clear and then check the box of one test. Once you have done that , apply your overclock to to GPU and then hit the Benchmark tab on the 3DMark main window. This will run only that test, once complete, it will tell you you have not run enough test to get a score. Close that window but not 3DMark entirely and set your GPU clocks back to default. Wait a while for the GPU to cool down (with the FX series it's nice because you can open up the nVidia display - advanced properties tab and watch your GPU cool down with the temperature settings tab). Once you feel it has cooled down enough, go back to the Selected Tests section and unselect the previous test and pick the next test. I usually just go straight down the line, from Car low to Car high, etc., etc.. Jus tdo this until all the test have been completed one by one. 3DMark saves the info from all the previous tests and compiles it. You can even check the status as you go along. I like to do this as 3DMark can be a little fickle and your runs can differ a little each time by a few FPS, especially on the CPU dependant tests. If a run is lower than the last time you ran it, you can try again.
I am new to Intel and haven't quite figured out how to tweak WinXP to get the best results, I was good at Win2K when I ran AMD. Any advice?

A64'uSER
02-07-2004, 04:05 AM
Hey, i have a problem :(

When im doing the 3dmark01 without OC on my cpu and i little on my gfx, i am getting 14096, but if i OC my cpu to 2200MHz and a little on my gfx i only get 13XXX..

And why is that?

Help please

r3b0rN
02-07-2004, 04:13 AM
if you have an fx series nvidia card the clocks could be throttling back to 2D. but u only said a little and it dosnt happen when u dont oc cpu, so... i dont know, sorry buddy. make sure FSB speed spectrum is disabled in bios options, and make sure that the cpu is being cooled sufficiently, if it gets to hot its not going to perform as well.

A64'uSER
02-07-2004, 04:21 AM
Well... I dont have a nVidia FX card, but an old gf4 ti4200... FSB Spectrum, what is that?

r3b0rN
02-07-2004, 05:42 AM
i remember roughly it had to do something with locking ur cpu's fsb... which can have a bad affect when benching, but im not sure if this is the actuall meaning, ive just read something like this from a few people and i know that (even if that isnt really what it does) it definately does drop performance.

LilGator
02-13-2004, 10:25 PM
can anyone elaborate on the Win2K memory tweaks ... i remember getting delayed write failures after disabling the paging executive, and the other mem tweaks ...

nailbomb
02-20-2004, 12:07 AM
What test order does everyone prefer?

Gogeta
02-23-2004, 11:04 AM
I know I'll sound like a complete and total noob if I ask this question, but I have to know...

What are LOD settings (like with RivaTuner and display driver options)?

Jimbo Mahoney
02-27-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by A64'uSER
FSB Spectrum, what is that?

Spread spectrum varies the FSB ever-so-slightly (by the % set in the BIOS) so that interference with other devices is minimised. It will almost certainly reduce stability though.

Jimbo Mahoney
02-27-2004, 10:16 AM
Another tweak to try:

Set the desktop to 1024 x 768, 32 bit, 60 Hz and ensure that Vsync is turned OFF.

sjohnson
02-27-2004, 10:26 AM
Gogeta

LOD = Level of Detail Bias. The higher the number, the "blurrier" the scene(s), the lower (including negative) the "sharper" - blurry uses less calculations than sharper.

Somewhere between LOD 3 and 8 seems to get folks the best scores in 3dmark. I wouldn't use them for everyday or gaming 3d though

Soulburner
02-27-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Jimbo Mahoney
Another tweak to try:

Set the desktop to 1024 x 768, 32 bit, 60 Hz and ensure that Vsync is turned OFF.
This is better than 800x600 16 bit 60 Hz?

r3b0rN
02-29-2004, 05:21 AM
Originally posted by Soulburner
This is better than 800x600 16 bit 60 Hz?
Do I detect a hint of sarcasm? :D

Soulburner
02-29-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by r3b0rN
Do I detect a hint of sarcasm? :D
No, I really am asking that legitimately, because that's what I use.

Gogeta
03-03-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by sjohnson
Gogeta

LOD = Level of Detail Bias. The higher the number, the "blurrier" the scene(s), the lower (including negative) the "sharper" - blurry uses less calculations than sharper.

Somewhere between LOD 3 and 8 seems to get folks the best scores in 3dmark. I wouldn't use them for everyday or gaming 3d though

Thanks sjohnson. I read that this only applies to Nvidia cards...is this true?

r3b0rN
03-07-2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Soulburner
No, I really am asking that legitimately, because that's what I use. oh... fair enough :) but i think he said 1024x768 32bit 60hz so desktop settings have no chance of intefering with 3dmark settings, however i dont think 60hz would help performance any more than having it set at something higher.

Jimbo Mahoney
03-08-2004, 04:17 AM
The theory goes that setting a refresh of 60 Hz reduces the work the DAC on the graphics card has to do because we have Vsync off anyway.

1024 x 768 x 32bpp is what 3DMark uses right?

Setting the desktop to this negates the need to switch resolutions between tests.

It can't do any harm, but whether it ACTUALLY increases 3DMarks is something which I have yet to test.

EDIT - My 3DMark scores:

18500 with '01
6000 with '03

AMD 2400+ @ 2.4 Ghz
Abit NF7 v2
1 GB Twinmos @ 200 Mhz 11-3-3-2
Radeon 9700 non-pro @ 400/300

Haven't started the volt-mods or the major benching yet - I got some dry-ice plans coming up! :D

r3b0rN
03-08-2004, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by Jimbo Mahoney
The theory goes that setting a refresh of 60 Hz reduces the work the DAC on the graphics card has to do because we have Vsync off anyway.

EDIT - My 3DMark scores:

18500 with '01
6000 with '03

AMD 2400+ @ 2.4 Ghz
Abit NF7 v2
1 GB Twinmos @ 200 Mhz 11-3-3-2
Radeon 9700 non-pro @ 400/300

Haven't started the volt-mods or the major benching yet - I got some dry-ice plans coming up! :D

Thanks for info on 60hz :)

As for your benching, u already got respectable scores = cant wait to see ur "major" scores :D

Soulburner
03-08-2004, 12:20 PM
Yeah I tried 3DMark at 85Hz a few months ago and the score was slightly lower, but I didn't look to see if it was Car Low or if it was a legit drop.

FlyingHamster
05-09-2004, 12:37 PM
Run regedit and go to: HKLM/system/currentcontrolset/control/session manager/memory management and set the disableexecutivepaging(This has caused bootproblems for some members, be aware) to =1

dunno if this has been said already, but for win2k at least (wut im using right now), its actually disablepagingexecutive. just wanted to clear that up. :)

oh, and should IOpagelocklimit still be set to 16384 in decimal? or is there another number u guys have found works better recently??

EDIT: disablepagingexecutive = 1 caused instability on my win2k system. are any of u guys running with it fine?

Jellard23
07-10-2004, 03:25 AM
hey fellas I'm new into XtremeSystems.org and I have got some systems here but 1 system is very old and it's getting no higher than 860 points in 3DMark2001 maybe this tweaking will help the stupid lil thing:D it's a P3 450MHz and TNT2Ultra..(lol now don't think that's my main rig:stick: )

I have some questions, what are the best drivers for TNT2Ultra and the best LOD settings?

biohead
08-10-2004, 08:13 AM
hopeloos.. ;)

Jellard23
08-12-2004, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by biohead
hopeloos.. ;)

Hehe yeah I have understood that now already:mad: :rolleyes:

FlyingHamster
12-09-2004, 04:47 PM
dunno if this has been said already, but for win2k at least (wut im using right now), its actually disablepagingexecutive. just wanted to clear that up. :)

oh, and should IOpagelocklimit still be set to 16384 in decimal? or is there another number u guys have found works better recently??

EDIT: disablepagingexecutive = 1 caused instability on my win2k system. are any of u guys running with it fine?

soo.. anyone found anything new they'd like to add? :D

NA Leonhart
01-09-2005, 07:05 PM
can anyone give me some tips on tweaking Windows XP for benchmarking?

thx in adv.

Dunk
01-11-2005, 04:56 PM
www.tweakxp.com

likwit
01-25-2005, 12:27 PM
1. Get nLite from here:
http://nuhi.msfn.org/download.html
and download the latest Windows XP/2000 service pack
2. Copy your Windows CD to your HD and install nLite.
3. Slipstream the SP and remove all the Windows components you don't use. I myself have left only Paint, DHCP and some other critical Windows components on my nLite CD.
4. Set all tweaks for the least possible CPU/memory usage. Remove all bloatware.
5. Get the reg file with (almost) all tweaks possible from here:
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=27911&st=0
And edit it to your needs. (make sure to use the classic interface, disable all effects etc....)
6. Add the reg file to your CD (just put it in the folder where you copied your Windows CD to, the same nLite uses)
7. Create an ISO image of your nLited Windows and burn it.
8. Install your lite Windows.
9. After install execute the reg file. Disable all services you don't need (I have only 6 critical services running).
10. Install your drivers and software.
11. Defragment your HD(s) with decent software (which is not the Windows defragmenter).
12. Clean with jv16 powertools on a regular basis.

Furthermore run all benchmarks with high process priority.
More about this:
http://www.google.nl/search?hl=nl&q=run+program+high+priority&btnG=Zoeken&lr=
And don't forget to keep your chipset and videocard drivers up to date.

There are a few myths about tweaks that should improve your performance, but don't.
Check this out: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/XPMyths.html

Tony420
02-22-2005, 07:19 AM
Does having SBA enabled lower my GPU oc at all?

jrw
03-15-2005, 03:55 AM
How high should one go with the SPs for 2000?

KoolDrew
03-20-2005, 02:23 PM
Maybe you could format the guide a bit better? It is a bit hard to read as it seems like one big paragraph.

TM30
04-05-2005, 11:51 AM
i played around with a GF4 Ti 4600

got 18904 Marks in 01 with an untweaked Win XP Pro
but only 18500 with the tweaked win 2k pro... same drivers for board and VGA

why?

i used the newest Nforce3 drivers (5.10), it informed me that i need DX9 but i continued and installed DX8.1 just like it is written in the tweaking guide... could this be the reason?

Magnj
05-19-2005, 12:43 PM
Ok here's what I did to boost my score. Some of these get a fair amount of points...
- Set 3Dmark process to realtime
- Close useless processes ( like IPmonitor, Virus programs, anything thats not crucial ) Then after you open 3dmark, close explorer. It may be possible to boot into safe mode or something so that theres only the necessary processes running but I haven't tried that

ok so thats it for now

nfm
07-27-2005, 11:06 PM
I know a hell lot of tweaks. I modified my Wind x64 from scratch. Takes ~500Mb of Hdd space, heavily modified. It would take me couple hours to put a great guide that everyone would appreciate. Anyway there's a good app that boosts your system a bit . That proggie has just a part of my big knowledge, try it http://xplink.pl/ direct link to

Link (http://rapidshare.de/files/2966856/Windows_XP_PLD_2.0_zip.zip.htmldownload)

to download scroll down, chosse free, scroll down and wait. Just my 2 cents
enjoy :toast: Oh and don't use IOpagelocklimit with XP or newer OSes

nfm
07-27-2005, 11:09 PM
Here are my regtweaks:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;----- Show status bar
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"Show_StatusBar"="yes"
"Show_URLinStatusBar"="yes"
"StatusBarOther"=dword:00000001

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{540D8A8B-1C3F-4E32-8132-530F6A502090}]
@="Language bar"
"MenuTextPUI"="@%SystemRoot%\\System32\\msutb.dll,-325"

;----- Cotrol panel in my computer
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\HideMyComputerIcons]
"{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}"=dword:00000000

;----- Password when returning from screensaver
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Wind ows\Control Panel\Desktop]
"ScreenSaveActive"=dword:00000000

;----- Show version of Windows on bottom left corner
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"PaintDesktopVersion"=dword:00000001

;----- Speeds up disk cleanup by removing compress old files entry
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Compress old files]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default\ SystemExit\.Current]
@=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default\ SystemExit\.Default]
@=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel]
"{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}"=dword:00000000
"{450D8FBA-AD25-11D0-98A8-0800361B1103}"=dword:00000000
"{208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D}"=dword:00000000
"{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}"=dword:00000000

;----- No volume icon
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Applets\SysTray]
"Services"=dword:0000001b

;----- Adds Recycle Bin to MY Computer
;-----
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa]
"forceguest"=dword:00000000

;-----
;----- Makes a right click option for unknown files (Open with notepad)
;-----
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell]
@="\"notepad.exe %1\""
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\open]
@="Open &With Notepad"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\open\command]
@="notepad.exe %1"

;-----
;----- Add register / unregister to the context menu for .dll files
;-----
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.dll]
"Content Type"="application/x-msdownload"
@="dllfile"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dllfile]
@="Application Extension"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dllfile\Shell\Register\command]
@="regsvr32.exe \"%1\""
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dllfile\Shell\UnRegister\command]
@="regsvr32.exe /u \"%1\""

;-----
;----- Add register / unregister to the context menu for .ocx files
;-----
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ocx]
@="ocxfile"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ocxfile]
@="OCX"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ocxfile\Shell\Register\command]
@="regsvr32.exe \"%1\""
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ocxfile\Shell\UnRegister\command]
@="regsvr32.exe /u \"%1\""

;-----
;----- Get a new Right-click menu option (command box)
;-----
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Command Prompt Here]
@="Command P&rompt Here"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Command Prompt Here\command]
@="cmd.exe /k cd %1 "

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer]
;----- Clear recent documents when you log-off
"ClearRecentDocsOnExit"=dword:00000001
;----- Disable Recent Documents History
"NoRecentDocsHistory"=dword:00000001
;----- Remove the recent documents from the start menu
"NoRecentDocsMenu"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\Explorer]
;----- Clear Recent Documents When Windows Exits
"ClearRecentDocsOnExit"=dword:00000001
;----- Disable Recent Documents History
"NoRecentDocsHistory"=dword:00000001
;----- Remove the recent documents from the start menu
"NoRecentDocsMenu"=dword:00000001

;----- Won't check if you are low on diskspace and pop up a balloon telling you
;----- NoInstrumentation disables windows user tracking
;-----
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoLowDiskSpaceChecks"=dword:00000001
"NoInstrumentation"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoLowDiskSpaceChecks"=dword:00000001
"NoInstrumentation"=dword:00000001

;----- Status bar, list view for Explorer
;-----
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Streams]
"Settings"=hex:09,00,00,00,03,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,e0,a5,1f, 0e,73,35,cf,11,ae,\
69,08,00,2b,2e,12,62,04,00,00,00,04,00,00,00,43,00 ,00,00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
;----- Disable thumbnail caching
"DisableThumbnailCache"=dword:00000001
;----- Administrative Tools in your Start Menu
"Start_AdminToolsRoot"=dword:00000000
"HideFileExt"=dword:00000000
"StartButtonBalloonTip"=dword:00000002
"NoNetCrawling"=dword:00000001
"EnableBalloonTips"=dword:00000001
;----- Disable higlighting of new applications in start menu
"Start_NotifyNewApps"=dword:00000000

;----- These NTFS tweaks improve file system performance (Speed up NTFS)
;----- Note: these have been reported to cause non-compatibility with DOS/Win9x-based apps/games
;-----
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\FileSystem]
"NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate"=dword:00000001
"Win95TruncatedExtensions"=dword:00000001
"NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation"=dword:00000001

;----- Disable Windows File Protection
;-----
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"SFCSetting"=dword:ffffff9d
"SFCDisable"=dword:ffffff9d

;----- Speeds up copying/moving of zip files (disable windows built in zip functionality)
;-----
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.zip\CompressedFolder]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{E88DCCE0-B7B3-11d1-A9F0-00AA0060FA31}]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CompressedFold er]

;----- Speed up opening of My Computer and Explorer
;-----
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\stisvc]
"Start"=dword:00000004

"NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoRemoteRecursiveEvents"=dword:00000001

;----- Disable Windows Installer Rollback (faster msi installs)
;-----
;[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Wind ows\Installer]
;"DisableRollback"=dword:00000001

;----- Disable Internet Explorer "Send information to the Internet" prompt
;-----
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\3]
"1601"=dword:00000000

;----- Disable Internet Explorer Auto-Complete prompt
;-----
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\IntelliForms]
"AskUser"=dword:00000000
;-----
;----- Disable Internet Explorer Cookie "Privacy Icon" prompt
;-----
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet Settings]
"PrivDiscUiShown"=dword:00000001

;----- Add Google As Main/default Search Page
;-----
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"Search Page"="http://www.google.com"
"Search Bar"="http://www.google.com/ie"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL]
@="http://www.google.com/search?q=%s"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search]
"SearchAssistant"="http://www.google.com/ie"

;----- Prune History to only 2 days
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet Settings\Url History]
"DaysToKeep"=dword:00000000
"SyncMode5"=dword:00000000

;----- set cache to 2 MB for this user
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\Cache\Content]
"CacheLimit"=dword:00000800

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet Settings\Cache\Content]

;----- and also as a system-wide default
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\Cache\Content]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Internet Settings\Cache\Content]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet Settings\Cache]
"Persistent"=dword:00000001

;Reduces size of index.dat in cookies
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet Settings\Cache\Cookies]
"CacheLimit"=dword:00000100

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet Settings\Cache\History]

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\Internet Settings\Cache\Content]

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\Internet Settings\Cache\Cookies]

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\Internet Settings\Cache\History]

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\Cache\Content]
"PerUserItem"=dword:00000001
"CachePrefix"=""

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\Cache\Cookies]
"CachePrefix"="Cookie:"

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\Cache\History]
"CachePrefix"="Visited:"

;----- Disable persistent internet caching, among other things
;-----
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Internet Settings\Cache]
"Persistent"=hex:00,00,00,00
"FreshnessInterval"=hex:80,f4,03,00
"CleanupFactor"=hex:19,00,00,00
"CleanupTime"=hex:00,00,00,00
"CleanupInterval"=hex:80,51,01,00
"DebugFlag"=hex:ff,ff,00,00

;-----
;----- Alternatively empty temporary internet files folder when browser is closed
;-----
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet Settings\Cache]
"Persistent"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Internet Settings\Cache]
"Persistent"=dword:00000000

;----- skips the Internet Connection Wizard (which comes the first time you start IE6)
;-----
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard]
"Completed"=hex:01,00,00,00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Ftp]
;----- disable FTP folder view (for faster browsing)
"Use Web Based FTP"="yes"

;----- Remove Alexa Spyware (comes built in Windows by default)
;-----
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions\{c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a}]

"EnableQuickReboot"="1"

;----- allows boot files to be placed optimally on the hard-drive for faster boots.
;-----
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOpt imizeFunction]
"Enable"="Y"

;-----
;----- Speed up shutdown
;-----
"AutoEndTasks"="1"
"HungAppTimeout"="1000"
"WaitToKillAppTimeout"="1000"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l]
"WaitToKillServiceTimeout"="1000"

;-----
;----- Disable Automatic Restart in the event of a BSOD
;-----
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\CrashControl]
"AutoReboot"=dword:00000000

;-----
;----- Prefetcher tweak (faster booting)
;-----
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters]
"EnablePrefetcher"=dword:00000003

;-----
;----- Make the Windows XP registration with Microsoft unnecessary
;-----
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Cu rrentVersion]
"RegDone"="1"

;----- Enable DVD in Media Player
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\P layer\Settings]
"EnableDVDUI"="Yes"

;----- Disables Preview of Movie file formats (allowing you to move/rename/delete without errors)
;-----
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.avi\ShellEx]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mpg\ShellEx]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mpe\ShellEx]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mpeg\ShellEx]

;-----
;----- Speed-up Access to AVI Media Files
;-----
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avi\shel lex\PropertyHandler]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{87D62D9 4-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}\InProcServer32]

;----- disable balloon - Add your passport to XP messenger
;-----
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MessengerServ ice]
"PassportBalloon"=hex:0a,00,00,00

;-----
;----- Removes Sign up with Passport Wizard when trying to sign in Windows Messenger
;-----
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet Settings\Passport]
"RegistrationCompleted"=dword:00000001

;----- Stores more DNS entries so that your computer doesn't have to look them up as much
;----- Do not cache failed DNS lookups
;-----
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Dnscache\Parameters]
"NegativeCacheTime"=dword:00000000
"NetFailureCacheTime"=dword:00000000
"NegativeSOACacheTime"=dword:00000000
"CacheHashTableBucketSize"=dword:00000001
"CacheHashTableSize"=dword:00000180
"MaxCacheEntryTtlLimit"=dword:0000fa00
"MaxSOACacheEntryTtlLimit"=dword:0000012d

;----- Faster Web Page Loading
;-----
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\ServiceProvider]
"DnsPriority"=dword:00000001
"HostsPriority"=dword:00000001
"LocalPriority"=dword:00000001
"NetbtPriority"=dword:00000001

;----- Broadband Network Optimizations for Windows 2000/XP/2003
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters]
"DefaultTTL"=dword:00000040
"EnablePMTUDiscovery"=dword:00000001
"EnablePMTUBHDetect"=dword:00000000
"TcpMaxDupAcks"=dword:00000002
"TcpMaxDataRetransmissions"=dword:00000006
"SackOpts"=dword:00000001
"MTU"=dword:000005dc
"Tcp1323Opts"=dword:00000001
"TcpTimedWaitDelay:=dword:0000001e

;----- Increase RPC Packet Size
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Rpc]
"MaxRpcSize"=dword:00100000

;----- Do Not Start MS-Messenger with Outlook Express
;-----
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express]
"Hide Messenger"=dword:00000002

;----- Fixes slowdown problem starting Outlook Express when you delete
;----- Windows Messenger, and it disables the splash screen
;-----
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{FB7199A B-79BF-11d2-8D94-0000F875C541}\InProcServer32]
"ThreadingModel"="Apartment"
@=""
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{FB7199A B-79BF-11d2-8D94-0000F875C541}\LocalServer32]
"ThreadingModel"="Apartment"
@=""

;Unbundle Windows Messenger from Outlook 2003
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Offi ce\11.0\Outlook\InstantMessaging]
"ForceDisableIM"=dword:00000001

;----- Gets rid of tray icon for taking survey (office 2k3)
;-----
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\C ommon\Internet]
"UseOnlineContent"=dword:00000002
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Common]
"QMEnable"=dword:00000000

;----- Disable NVIDIA Driver Helper
;-----
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\NVSvc]

;----- Disable Indexing Service
;-----
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\cisvc]

;----- Remove Shortcut Arrow
;-----
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile]
"IsShortCut"=-
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\piffile]
"IsShortCut"=-
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\InternetShortcut]
"IsShortCut"=-

;-----
;----- Disable the Desktop Cleanup Wizard
;-----
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Desktop\CleanupWiz]
"NoRun"=dword:00000001

;----- Sort Start Menu and Favorites in Alphabetical Order (All Windows)
;-----
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder]

;----- Remove frequently accessed programs list from Start Menu
"NoStartMenuMFUprogramsList"=dword:00000001

;----- Windows will tell you exactly what it is doing when it is
;----- shutting down or is booting
;-----
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\policies\system]
"verbosestatus"=dword:00000001

;----- Change MenuShowDelay (Start Menu load speed)
;-----
"MenuShowDelay"="0"

;----- Opens nfo files with Notepad
;-----
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.nfo]
"Application"="NOTEPAD.EXE"
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.nfo\OpenWithList]
"a"="Explorer.exe"
"MRUList"="ba"
"b"="NOTEPAD.EXE"
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.nfo\OpenWithProgids]
"MSInfo.Document"=hex(0):

;----- Disable "Search Dog" and use advanced search
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Search Assistant]
"Actor"=""
"SocialUI"=dword:00000000
"UsageCount"=dword:00000000
"UseAdvancedSearchAlways"=dword:00000001

;----- Disable Windows Tour
;-----
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Applets\Tour]
"RunCount"=dword:00000000
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Applets\Tour]
"RunCount"=dword:00000000

;----- Show Detailed Info in Device Manager
;-----
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager\Environment]
"DEVMGR_SHOW_DETAILS"=dword:00000001
"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"

;----- Remove the 'Shortcut to...' (00 00 00 00 = No Shortcut Text)
;-----
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer]
"link"=hex:00,00,00,00

;----- Optimize Core System Performance
;-----
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager\Memory Management]
"DisablePagingExecutive"=dword:00000001

;----- Keyboard Num-Lock on
;-----
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Keyboard]
"InitialKeyboardIndicators"="2"

;----- Increase the USB Polling Interval
;-----
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Class\Usb\0000]
"IdleEnable"=dword:00000001

;----- AMD Processor Fix
;----- dword:00000100= 256KB SecondLevel Cache, dword:00000200 = 512KB SecondLevel Cache
;-----
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager\Memory Management]
"SecondLevelDataCache"=dword:00000200

;----- Adds Administrative Tools to MY Computer
;-----
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{D20EA4E1-3957-11D2-A40B-0C5020524153}]

;----- Disable file association web-service - Bypassing "Browse web for program" to open unknown extension. "Open With..." becomes default
;-----
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System]
"NoInternetOpenWith"=dword:00000001

;----- Enable DVD in Media Player
;----- Value: Yes or No
;-----
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\P layer\Settings]
"EnableDVDUI"="Yes

;----- Disable Information Bar Prompt in Internet Explorer
;-----
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\InformationBar]
"FirstTime"=dword:00000000

;----- Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Startup tray icon fix
;-----
;[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run]
;@=""
;"vptray"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Symantec AntiVirus\\VPTray.exe\""

;----- Disable Automatic Updates Service
;-----
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update]
"AUOptions"=dword:00000001
"AUState"=dword:00000007

;----- Faster termination of programs
;-----
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\splitter\Enum]
"Count"=dword:00000001
"NextInstance"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\kmixer\Enum]
"Count"=dword:00000001
"NextInstance"=dword:00000001
"ProcessorControl"=dword:00000000
"Prefetch"=dword:00001358

;----- Internet speedup
;-----
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Win dows\Psched]
"NonBestEffortLimit"=dword:00000000

;----- Minimal use of memory for server use
;-----
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\lanmanserver\parameters]
"Size"=dword:00000001

;----- Priority for CPU
;-----
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\PriorityControl]
"IRQ8PRiority"=dword:00000001
"SetPriorityControl"=dword:00000001
"Win32PrioritySeparation"=dword:00000026

;----- Quicker restart
;-----
"EnableQuickReboot"="1"

;----- System restore off
;-----
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore]
"DisableSR"=dword:00000001

;----- Unknown, Win 2003 Mem Controller
;-----
"SFCScan"=dword:0000000

;----- Security Center warnings disabled
;-----
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Security Center]
"AntiVirusDisableNotify"=dword:00000001
"FirewallDisableNotify"=dword:00000001
"UpdatesDisableNotify"=dword:00000001

;----- Enables smoother video
;-----
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\FileSystem\CDFS]
"CacheSize"=dword:0000135

;----- Enable Super Fetch
;-----
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters]
"EnableSuperfetch"=dword:00000001

;----- Coolbit tweaks for Nvidia cards
;-----
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak]
"NvCplExposeWin2kDualView"=dword:00000001
"NvCplTvLocaleAutoDetect"=dword:00000001
"NvCplAllowForceTVDetection"=dword:00000001
"NvCplEnableActiveApp"=dword:00000001
"DisableApplyColorsAtStartup"=dword:00000000
"NoMenus"=dword:00000000
"OverlayPageState"=dword:00000000
"CinematicPageState"=dword:000000ff
"NvCplThermalSettings"=dword:00000020
"NvCplEnableScreenMenuPage"=dword:00000001
"NvCplCustomResConfig"=dword:00000000
"NvCplEnableAdditionalInfoPage"=dword:00000001
"NvCplDisablePerfQualPage"=hex:00,00,00,00
"NvCplEnableAGPSettingsPage"=dword:00000001
"CoolBits"=dword:ffffffff
"NvCplEnableOverlaySpanControl"=dword:00000001
"TwinViewCapsOverride"=dword:00000001
"NvCplEnableDesktopOverlapPage"=dword:00000001
"NvCplEnableTroubleshootingPage"=dword:00000001
"NvCplDisableRefreshRatePage"=dword:00000000
"NvCplDisableRotateAngles"=dword:00000000
"NoPages"=dword:00000000
"NvCplEnableClearViewPage"=dword:00000001
"NvCplEnableFanControl"=dword:00000003
"NvCplEnableFrameSyncPage"=dword:00000001
"NvCplEnableHardwarePage"=dword:00000001
"NvCplEnablenForcePage"=dword:00000001
"NvCplEnablePwrMzrOnDesktopMenu"=dword:00000001
"NvCplEnableRotationColorSettings"=dword:00000001
"NvCplNvThermPage"=dword:00000001
"PowermizerPreferences"=dword:00000000
"QTwkEnableModeChangeWarning"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\OpenGL]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\OpenGL\Debug]
"ShaderObjects"=dword:00000001

save as RegTweaks.reg and apply if you want

Another good one of mine:

del /s /f %systemdrive%\*.fts (indexing files created by Windows Help)
del /s /f %systemdrive%\*.old (previous versions of files)
del /s /f %systemdrive%\*.chk (chkdsk - recovered file fragments)
del /s /f %systemdrive%\*.dmp (memory dumps created when XP or a program crashes)
del /s /f %systemdrive%\*.cnt (Help tables of contents)
del /s /f %systemdrive%\*.diz (program description files, usually in plain text)
del /s /f %systemdrive%\thumbs.db (cached thumbnail files)
del /s /f %systemdrive%\*.gid (a kind of Help index file)

save as cleanup.cmd and put it in startup folder in start menu and at every windows startup your computer will be automatically cleaned of crap :toast:

nfm
07-27-2005, 11:22 PM
U people can also use nlite my favorite proggie to slim down Windows Link (http://nliteos.com/) U can use it with Ryan's update pack for win xp sp2 read more http://ryanvm.msfn.org/ to have a fully up to date windows xp sp2 + unsupported hotfixes where you won't find them anywhere except calling up microsoft and asking them for them. I'm working at update pack for x64 windows :toast: There's a thread on his forum

nfm
07-27-2005, 11:26 PM
How about making unattended xp installation. Very good guide http://unattended.msfn.org/ and it is noob easy to accoplish :toast: Don't forget to visit http://www.msfn.org/ for any help if you need with windows

massman
07-28-2005, 03:40 AM
are those regtweaks for win2k or for winxppro ?

nfm
07-28-2005, 08:34 AM
are those regtweaks for win2k or for winxppro ?

Win XP, XP x64 and up. Most of them, if not all, should work with Win 2000

dexx
08-16-2005, 09:50 PM
Any new tweaks? Specifically driver tweaks for 6800 and 7800 cards doing '03 and '05?

RaZz!
09-02-2005, 01:37 AM
Ok here's what I did to boost my score. Some of these get a fair amount of points...
- Set 3Dmark process to realtime
- Close useless processes ( like IPmonitor, Virus programs, anything thats not crucial ) Then after you open 3dmark, close explorer. It may be possible to boot into safe mode or something so that theres only the necessary processes running but I haven't tried that

ok so thats it for now

tried it and it's kinda nice.

booting into safe mode wouldn't work imo, because even the graphics driver aren't loaded so running any 3d-application will be impossible (afaik!).

another tip for users with only <512mb ram: after closung processes and tasks run a memory manager / memory recovery tool like cacheman (http://www.outertech.com/index.php?_charisma_page=downloads).

Jamo
09-02-2005, 02:50 AM
[QUOTE=RaZz!

booting into safe mode wouldn't work imo, because even the graphics driver aren't loaded so running any 3d-application will be impossible (afaik!).
.[/QUOTE]

dont boot into safe mode, boot into diagnositic mode via start > run> msconfig

:)

Razor_Sniper
09-04-2005, 10:10 AM
Anyone knows good lod values for a 6800GT in 01se?

Mowgli
10-06-2005, 12:15 PM
ermm....can anybody tell me where can i find tweaks for 2k05 and 03? i mean like a complete tweak...coz i cant really find any, n readin thru this thread hast helped me much...

perry_78
12-27-2005, 03:28 PM
Finding good ones is defacto impossible :(

Basically, run amok in the registry and services yourself :D

Daveb2012
01-15-2006, 10:02 PM
this may help some people:

http://www.z123.org/techsupport/xpservices.htm

POGE
04-22-2006, 10:24 AM
http://www.overclockstop.com/microsoft-os/627-windows-xp-optimization-guide.html

This improved my 06 score 300 points.