PDA

View Full Version : So, what is WGC all about?

angra
12-20-2006, 05:48 PM
I've looked through the stickys and haven't seen this. In fact, I don't think I've seen it for any of the crunching project teams here on XS, so I figured I'd ask.

What's WGC all about? How does it differ from the other projecs from a goals/operational perspective? Who (directly) gets the benefit of the cycles donated?

I ask because I have control of a small cluster at work (~100 cpus) that I get to mostly use how I see fit, but within some constraints. Knowing the basics of the project helps. I've dug around the links in the setup stickies, and I've gotten an impression, but not a really clear view.

I have mostly done the stanford project because I am comfortable that I know what they are doing, why, and who will benefit. I have seen that a lot of the WGC team have come over to the F@H for the little contest with TPR, so I wanted to look into whether I could run for WGC for a while.

:toast:

[XC] leviathan18
12-20-2006, 05:51 PM
im gonna let wcg do the talking here

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/projects_showcase/viewResearch.do

is the best way to understand what we do wcg crunch several medical projects

gr8golf
12-20-2006, 09:57 PM
Fire those babies up Angra - we'd love to have you!

STEvil
12-20-2006, 10:39 PM
any chance you could toss F@H at them until after x-mas to help the F@H team try to win a race? :D

[XC] DragonOrta
12-20-2006, 10:48 PM
any chance you could toss F@H at them until after x-mas to help the F@H team try to win a race? :D
STEvil, This (http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=149492) is Angra. :D

STEvil
12-20-2006, 11:28 PM
I guess it would help if I paid attention to who was asking the question lol :D

[XC] serlv
12-21-2006, 01:47 AM
Ok, now that we've got that settled...

I'm having a hard time getting my, apparently, feeble mind around the instructions on getting two cores going. I guess I just don't understand the language of F@H or am so used to other project's setups that this project's setup seems needlessly complicated.

Currently, I have one core, on an Opty 175, crunching F@H. I used the GUI install. I don't get how to setup the non-GUI, or text or console version.

I could run more, a lot more, but as I said don't understand. Someone want to explain to me, in plain English, how to set it up ( w/o talking down to me, I mean I'm not dumb... I just don't get this ).

Thanks,
Scott

meshmesh
12-21-2006, 01:56 AM
Currently, I have one core, on an Opty 175, crunching F@H. I used the GUI install. I don't get how to setup the non-GUI, or text or console version.
Sending PM.

[XC] Malkec
12-21-2006, 08:11 AM

Could you please stop beging users to join F@H because it's getting pathetic. K,tnx ;)

Angra: leviathan18 gave you the link to look at!

We can't wait to see those babies in action ;)

[XC] DragonOrta
12-21-2006, 10:44 AM
Could you please stop beging users to join F@H because it's getting pathetic. K,tnx ;)
You're kidding me, right...

[XC] riptide
12-21-2006, 04:58 PM

Angra: leviathan18 gave you the link to look at!

???? Malkec... ease up on the steroids... they're doing something to your head. :rofl: he he!

[XC] hipno650
12-21-2006, 05:13 PM
lets get on topic here. anyways at WCG we run variety of medical using the boinc client. once attached to WCG you will receive work units of your preference for the certain projects. (aids, cancer, protome, gnome and the new one with muscular thing) it works just like f@h with a variety of projects and new ones added all the time. IBM made WCG as a hub for all the big researchers in the world to use as central source of information. thats it a bit if you want more info fell free to give me a pm and i can give you some links or explain somethings a bit better for you.

we would love to have you on the team angra!!!! even with one rig! we will take all the help we can get!! thanks

angra
12-22-2006, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the info guys :) Very helpful. I will probably stay with F@H long term but I will do what I can to return the favor of all the help thrown at our race with TPR.