PDA

View Full Version : Some info on the new Noctua fans...

enz660
12-19-2006, 10:14 AM
I sent out a few emails of when these amazing fans will be in stock...here is what I got

Jabtech: "Yes we have a batch enroute, probably a week or so before they arrive though."
Frozen CPU: "Hi – thanks for the suggestion; I’m forwarding your email to our purchasing guys and hopefully they can see about bringing in the Noctua fans."
Performance PC: "Yes, soon."

I dont know if anyone else wants these fans as badly as I do. Two of these puppies on a scythe infinity = GOD!

Vapor
12-19-2006, 10:18 AM
I've been interested to get these fans for my test as well....good to know PPCs will be stocking them....NCIX with shipping was ludicrous and haven't had a chance to go to manus for samples yet....

Anyway, I'll be checking PPCs regularly I guess (after vaca though :p: )

metro.cl
12-19-2006, 10:44 AM
our review samples got lost in mail :(

i'll see if i can get new ones

enz660
12-19-2006, 03:41 PM
new update: The MSRP for each fan is around $17.

Supertim0r
12-19-2006, 03:55 PM
those fans ?

http://simon.webideal.ca/Temp/XBX2/noctua%20fans.JPG
2 cases fan and one in the T120 all controlled by the motherboard (XBX2)
It's REALLY silent from a cold boot (unfortunately, after a few mins, the OCZ 700W fans become noisy :( )

Looks like I need a quiet psu

enz660
12-19-2006, 03:58 PM
those fans ?

http://simon.webideal.ca/Temp/XBX2/noctua%20fans.JPG
yes

Supertim0r
12-19-2006, 04:04 PM
in stock @ NCIX (http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=21012&vpn=NF-S12-1200&manufacture=Noctua)

enz660
12-19-2006, 04:05 PM
in stock @ NCIX (http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=21012&vpn=NF-S12-1200&manufacture=Noctua)
yes I know but they are expensive there and some people said they also change a rediculous amount for shipping. I would rather wait a bit until a vendor I trust sells them at a more reasonable price.

edit: hey supertim0r, what kinda temps do you get with one of those fans inside that tuniq?

Supertim0r
12-19-2006, 04:12 PM
yes I know but they are expensive there and some people said they also change a rediculous amount for shipping. I would rather wait a bit until a vendor I trust sells them at a more reasonable price.

edit: hey supertim0r, what kinda temps do you get with one of those fans inside that tuniq?

64c loaded with 6600ES @ 3.7ghz 1.4v

Ender17
12-19-2006, 05:06 PM
those fans ?

[IMG]http://simon.webideal.ca/Temp/XBX2/noctua%20fans.JPG[IMG]
2 cases fan and one in the T120 all controlled by the motherboard (XBX2)
It's REALLY silent from a cold boot (unfortunately, after a few mins, the OCZ 700W fans become noisy :( )

Looks like I need a quiet psu
I'd recommend the Corsair 620W

Supertim0r
12-19-2006, 05:10 PM
It was already in my options :)

PC P&C Silencer 750w
Zippy GE 720w (dunno how silent it is)
Silverstone 750w
Corsair 620w

Istasi
12-19-2006, 05:20 PM

PC P&C Silencer 750w
Silverstone 750w
Corsair 620w

Zippy's are supposedly loud as hell and hard to fan mod due to an odd use of a 40mm inside the PSU. I use the Corsair and it's been great.

Demo
12-19-2006, 06:27 PM
are these like the best silence/performance fans around ?

Supertim0r
12-19-2006, 06:46 PM
according to spcr, they are great :)

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article695-page1.html

Shift
12-19-2006, 08:44 PM
new update: The MSRP for each fan is around $17.

AT that price I would much rather get a Silverstone FM-132.

deeznuts
12-20-2006, 10:10 AM
Wow, it does look like a nice fan. Surprising that they could improve on fan engineering. Here is another review, not as in-depth, kinda crappy but anyway if you want to see more pics

http://www.3dvelocity.com/article.php4?id=365&page=1

spani
12-22-2006, 03:51 AM
They're now available @ http://www.moddersmart.com

enz660
12-22-2006, 09:31 AM
wow again 19.95... I sure hope they wont be that expensive everywhere...

alejo
12-23-2006, 12:12 AM
Like Papst fans, I don't think you'll be seeing very good prices on these.

enz660
12-29-2006, 09:27 PM
17 bucks! (http://www.jab-tech.com/Noctua-120mm-Fan-NF-S12-1200-pr-3629.html)

Teratism
01-08-2007, 03:19 AM
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5379/fan-268/Noctua_NF-S12-1200_120mm_Fan_48_CFM.html
25$

Millyons
01-08-2007, 04:27 AM

PC P&C Silencer 750w
Silverstone 750w
Corsair 620w

check first with OCZ they might RMA your unit if its to loud, i see alot of ppl are getting their RMAed over at bleedingedge cause the fans are to loud.

.....if not and you don't care about warranty just change your fan. I got a FSP Epsilon 700 (same PSU as OCZ GameX 700) and the fan was horrible so i just changed it to some 120m 2000rpm noname fan out of a cheiftek psu and its waaaaaaaay better.

I checked SPCR what fans use most quiet powerfull PSUs like the Corsair and its ADDA AD1212MB-A71GL, if you can find one of those it would probably be the best thing, ofcourse there is still how the PSU's fan control is set up, but might be worth a shot before bying another PSU, like i said after changing mine with some "superred" ballbearing fan its way better, not silent, its louder than 3 other 120mm fans on 7v, but its ok, kinda like average 120mm fans at 1200rpm

T07N
01-08-2007, 02:48 PM
Damn they look really good but I just don't wanna spend $70 for 3 fans...

ibiris
01-08-2007, 03:07 PM
Maybe buy one or two now and use them for the high priority replacements. Then use a controller to reduce the speed of the remaining crappy fans. Then when you can afford the extra fan, which may have come down in price, you can complete your sweet fan setup :slobber: :)

Veedo
01-08-2007, 09:31 PM
i just picked up 2 nf-s12 fans for my case, and a nf-r8 to put in my PC P&C 510sli. case is much quieter now, the loudest part is the vf-700 on my vid card. the psu fan was a little louder than i expected it to be, i think its because its so crammed in there, and my case isnt the best for cooling the psu. its a lian li 1100. i thought i would be happy with a little quieter, but i can see this is going to be bigger project than i thought.

Millyons
01-08-2007, 10:41 PM
64c loaded with 6600ES @ 3.7ghz 1.4v

what were your temps with the stock tuniq fan......i see some good reviews for the noctua, but then i saw a not so great one over at madshrimps concerning it....

Sparky
01-09-2007, 06:27 AM
Waiting for Vapor to get one....

Vapor
01-09-2007, 07:58 AM
Gonna be awhile, lo :(l....have had a few set backs on my own stock of fans, working out the kinks in testing. Still haven't done CPU tests as I'm working out that as well. Then from there, gonna publish my current results, then go to manus. And then from there, depending on who says yay or nay, I'll be buying my own.

EDIT: due to the fanfare.....I'll buy one and include it in my initial batch. Seem OOS everywhere though :(

Supertim0r
01-09-2007, 09:15 AM
what were your temps with the stock tuniq fan......i see some good reviews for the noctua, but then i saw a not so great one over at madshrimps concerning it....

the temp is better with stock fan of course. The performance with the Noctua is similar to Tuniq stock fan @ half speed

Vapor
01-09-2007, 02:15 PM
Anyone know where one is in stock, other than NCIX? I'm starting to get more and more intrigued by it and would like to test it in my first batch.

enz660
01-09-2007, 02:51 PM
Anyone know where one is in stock, other than NCIX? I'm starting to get more and more intrigued by it and would like to test it in my first batch.
there are a few links on the first page. Performance PC, Jabtech (price was 17 at first...they they bumped it up :( )

Vapor
01-09-2007, 02:59 PM
Out of stock. PPC doesn't have it yet.

^don.k's^
01-09-2007, 03:10 PM
@Supertim0r: Change the fan, i did as Millyons, i put a nexus fan rated @1000rpm, even around 600-700rpm the psu is cold, i have it with the computer for more than 5 days non stop and it works like a charm, if you do what i did you wont be willing to change your OCZ. ;)

As for the noctua fans, they looks great but i guess they wont be too easy to get'em here in Spain. :(

Millyons
01-09-2007, 03:14 PM
@Supertim0r: Change the fan, i did as Millyons, i put a nexus fan rated @1000rpm, even around 600-700rpm the psu is cold, i have it with the computer for more than 5 days non stop and it works like a charm, if you do what i did you wont be willing to change your OCZ. ;)

As for the noctua fans, they looks great but i guess they wont be too easy to get'em here in Spain. :(

sorry for the OT again but its not totaly.....the reason im mostly interested in noctuas is to put one in my psu...im just kinda afraid to put in a low speed one like hexus in there cause the stock ones are 2000+ rpm after all, im really wondering what would be the lowest safer rpm fan for a psu with that much power.

Supertim0r
01-09-2007, 03:39 PM
sorry for the OT again but its not totaly.....the reason im mostly interested in noctuas is to put one in my psu...im just kinda afraid to put in a low speed one like hexus in there cause the stock ones are 2000+ rpm after all, im really wondering what would be the lowest safer rpm fan for a psu with that much power.

the noctua is approx 1200rpm, 50cfm...not that bad ;)

^don.k's^
01-09-2007, 03:41 PM
Well as im not with dual 8800gtx nor kentsfield im not afraid. I check the exhaust air of the psu oftenly and its ussually cold, not pulling too much watts tho. But with the pc@full i guess that the nexus @100% would do the job. My rig wont throw even 400W @full load so this fan will stick with the psu until i have it. :p:

Millyons
01-09-2007, 04:01 PM
ya im probably gonna stick in a yate d12sm - 1650rpm and 70cfm, the original is about 80 cfm.....at least until i get the noctuas all the way from canada

but ya Supertim0r man you should stick one of them into that PSU, like i said the stock is just horible and even this noname is wayyyyyy better, i can only imagine how my system could sound even with the yate SM in there yet alone that noctua

spani
01-10-2007, 12:44 AM
There's a list of resellers on their website: http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=bezugsquellen&lng=en

If you're looking for the fans in Spain, www.coolmod.com seems to have them.

In the US, www.moddersmart.com seems to have them in stock.

oshox
01-11-2007, 03:03 PM
I read the silentpcreview roundup with these fans, and I was very impressed. SPC Review is typically a good place for information.
They verified 63CFM @ 25 DBA, which is really pretty insane. Now, an undervolted Yate Loon SL will give you about the same noise level, it won't push nearly as much air.
Are they worth the price? Depends on who you are. If you're the kind of person who bought an 8800GTX, then yes; You are. The fact that they include 4x noise isolators (the rubber screws) and an attachment that undervolts the fan helps offset the ridiculous price.

Vapor
01-11-2007, 03:49 PM
Just ordered one....should be here mid next week.

Also got some more good news for my testing :D

Teratism
01-12-2007, 01:40 AM
What would the other good news be?

Millyons
01-13-2007, 08:40 AM
the noctua is approx 1200rpm, 50cfm...not that bad ;)

could you possibly check with one of them how they sound when horizontal, pushing up air....i just saw on SPCR forum that someone said it makes more noise when horizontal, and that would suck cause i want them for my PSU, I would really appriciate it if you could help, thanks

ps: whats stock tuniq fan rated at, and what one is it, and do you got any other fant to compare to, like some yates or something...

enz660
01-13-2007, 09:52 AM
could you possibly check with one of them how they sound when horizontal, pushing up air....i just saw on SPCR forum that someone said it makes more noise when horizontal, and that would suck cause i want them for my PSU, I would really appriciate it if you could help, thanks

ps: whats stock tuniq fan rated at, and what one is it, and do you got any other fant to compare to, like some yates or something...

1. That fan is probably not powerful enough for a PSU, get one that has the same cfm ratings as your old fan.

2. The tuniq Fan pushes waayyyy more air than these fans...

3. they are about 10% better than yate loons....they also come at around 20 bucks a pop..

Millyons
01-13-2007, 11:25 AM
lol no way im putting in one that fast there, its not needed really, its 80cfm, 2200 or 2400 rpm not sure, anything that caliber is way to loud, the yate i got in there now is 1650rmp one and it works at 1200-1300 depending on the load, and i think even it is too strong since air is cool that comes out of it....notice someone in this thread posted that they put in a nexus witch is 1000rpm and is fine

Kumakichi
01-13-2007, 01:17 PM
check first with OCZ they might RMA your unit if its to loud, i see alot of ppl are getting their RMAed over at bleedingedge cause the fans are to loud.

.....if not and you don't care about warranty just change your fan. I got a FSP Epsilon 700 (same PSU as OCZ GameX 700) and the fan was horrible so i just changed it to some 120m 2000rpm noname fan out of a cheiftek psu and its waaaaaaaay better.

I checked SPCR what fans use most quiet powerfull PSUs like the Corsair and its ADDA AD1212MB-A71GL, if you can find one of those it would probably be the best thing, ofcourse there is still how the PSU's fan control is set up, but might be worth a shot before bying another PSU, like i said after changing mine with some "superred" ballbearing fan its way better, not silent, its louder than 3 other 120mm fans on 7v, but its ok, kinda like average 120mm fans at 1200rpm

Don't say that!! I just bought one :banana:

I'd replace that fan before I'd buy another psu as long as the one you have has clean power. Its easy to do on a psu. Just watch what you touch.

Are these new Noctua fans supposed to be ultra silent or something? $17 a fan is a bit on the high side.

Vapor
01-14-2007, 11:55 PM
Performance-PCs has them in stock now too....and mine should be here tomorrow night....I'll do preliminary testing whenever I get it.

Millyons
01-15-2007, 02:37 AM
Performance-PCs has them in stock now too....and mine should be here tomorrow night....I'll do preliminary testing whenever I get it.

do you got a 1650 Yate by any chance or a high speed S-Flex, to test it against....just wondering since the yate i got already and the s-flex i can excange the noctua for, if not as good

Vapor
01-15-2007, 02:49 AM
No, the Noctua does not compete with an SM Yate or a high-speed S-Flex. It's a 1200RPM fan designed for silence. If it happens to pump as much air as an SM Yate is specced, I'll report that (and based on my SL Yate testing, I have zero reason to doubt that the SM Yate's ratings are even remotely off).

One thing I'm extremely interested in is pressure of this fan....I have reason to believe it will be among the worst made based on trends I've seen so far in other fans and fan blade geometry. That said, there's a reason why I test the fans....you can't tell a book by its cover ;)

Millyons
01-15-2007, 05:18 AM
No, the Noctua does not compete with an SM Yate or a high-speed S-Flex. It's a 1200RPM fan designed for silence. If it happens to pump as much air as an SM Yate is specced, I'll report that (and based on my SL Yate testing, I have zero reason to doubt that the SM Yate's ratings are even remotely off).

One thing I'm extremely interested in is pressure of this fan....I have reason to believe it will be among the worst made based on trends I've seen so far in other fans and fan blade geometry. That said, there's a reason why I test the fans....you can't tell a book by its cover ;)

no SM Yate is speced at 70cfm and the noctua at 40ish but just asking since spcr measured it at 60cfm at 1200rpm :slobber: what seems way to good to be true...but ya the pressure seems not that great, what review at madshrimps is showing, if i do get it it will be for the psu where it freely blows onto the small narow heatsinks, i probably wont put it on my infinity since i got a SM yate for it (wich has good preasure, when at 12v it can start a adda metal 120x38 fan while a Globe 1700rmp can't).....Although the Noctua might be pretty good for HSF that work good with lower speed fans like some thermalrights.....well all in all i cant wait for your results...just pls test it horizontal blowing up to see if there is more noise....thanks

Praxis1452
01-15-2007, 06:48 AM
it seems that it won't have great pressure and is therefore more suited as an exhaust. The straighter blades will only have more pressure than a more slanted one at much higher speeds.

Drag
01-15-2007, 08:23 AM
I would buy them, but i'm not going fore silence. thats why i got led fans an 11 sas hdd's :)!

Vapor
01-15-2007, 03:43 PM
Okay, quick impressions of this fan: it's not worth the money.

1st) it is NOWHERE near 63CFM that SPCR reported (but I know how they got that result....flawed testing method :(), more around 45

2nd) Noise difference between vertical and horizontal is neglible to the ear from ~3in away (but there is a slight difference, mainly when it tries to push air UP). I don't have 'official' sound pressure numbers yet, but it is definitely quiet. It actually does sound slightly louder than an SL Yate, BUT the noise is a lower frequency and in a case would get noticed less.

3rd) Pressure is mediocre, but not awful.

4th) Fan orientation affects air displacement. Vertical pushes a few more CFM than horizontal.....

Praxis1452
01-15-2007, 04:39 PM
well if it's quieter than the Yate some people will buy them heh.

Vapor
01-15-2007, 08:51 PM
Well, IDK, worse pressure and worse CFM/volt....meaning especially bad air movement on a HSF or radiator. Considering, to the ear, the sound difference is minimal (and I still think the Noctua is louder, just at a lower frequency)....I just can't recommend them :(

And for the price of one, you can get ~7 Yate Loons....LOL

Will do official sound testing soon.....well, maybe not tonight.

Millyons
01-15-2007, 11:45 PM
thanks for the testting, specialy for horizontal, you just saved me 45ish cad $ for the two of them i wanted.....

Vapor
01-15-2007, 11:48 PM
The one thing that may work out for it is the HSF testing....since the hub is really small (which is why SPCR gets inflated CFM readings as they don't capture all air moved by the fan, just put the air meter over the center of the fan), it may have a better air coverage pattern and cool a HSF well, we'll see. :)

(until then, it's not a particularly great fan)

JH_man
01-16-2007, 04:23 AM
How can you rate it this bad and this guy rate is soo good?
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article695-page6.html

Would you say the NEXUS REAL SILENT CASE FAN D12SL-12 is better? I am gonna use the fans for case + CPU cooling.

And any comments on these Silent Eagle fans?
http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=516

JH_man

Veedo
01-16-2007, 06:16 AM
how the hell could SPCR be that far off in their review? crazy. i bought two to swap out my stock lian li fans, but took them out because they move quite a bit less air, more than i thought. considerable temp increase. they were quiet though

LiQU!D
01-16-2007, 07:50 AM
Cheaper fans + undervolt for the win! It's not like they would help me anyway, I only have spots for 80mm intakes and I don't care about exhaust as my PSU and Glacialtech covers that.

Vapor
01-16-2007, 08:37 AM
SPCR measures CFM differently. Rather than shrouding the fan and CFM meter together and measuring all the air moved, they put the cfm meter right up to the hub and extrapolate those results to find net CFM. I take the fan and have a very low pressure shroud that ensures all of the air moved is measured with little to no resistance.

This fan has a very small hub and therefore moves a lot more air in the center, but less overall. I tested their method and got comparable results to what they got. This method gives a false impression of performance unfortunately.

Would I rate this fan over a Nexus? I won't compare fans that aren't specced for the same ratings.....different people have different CFM/dB requirements. The one exception to that rule would be a fan rated for lower CFM/dB coming up and beating higher rated fans, hands down. Compared to an SL Yate, it's just not worth the extra money, especially if used on a HSF or radiator (at that point, it's worse). To the ear, the noise levels are comparable....one is quieter (Yate), the other has a less obtrusive sound (Noctua). Both undervolted can't be heard unless you put your ear next to it.

I will be interested to see what the dB meter says whenever I get around to that. :D

GameGuru
01-16-2007, 02:16 PM
Would I rate this fan over a Nexus? I won't compare fans that aren't specced for the same ratings.....different people have different CFM/dB requirements. The one exception to that rule would be a fan rated for lower CFM/dB coming up and beating higher rated fans, hands down. Compared to an SL Yate, it's just not worth the extra money, especially if used on a HSF or radiator (at that point, it's worse). To the ear, the noise levels are comparable....one is quieter (Yate), the other has a less obtrusive sound (Noctua). Both undervolted can't be heard unless you put your ear next to it.

So if I'm understanding correctly, if one was just after case fans and was going to mount them vertically you would suggest undervolting the SL Yate? I do love the price for them :)
I for one am all about a quite PC with obviously the best cooling. I use a Thermaltake Armor case with the stock 120mm fans that came with it and are dying to replace them with something quite.

Thank you for all your hard work and research that helps everyone here at Xtreme, it's much appreciated.

Vapor
01-16-2007, 02:33 PM
Everything I've seen so far says that the SL Yates at ~$3 a pop are the cat's meow for quiet cooling, and they do undervolt well. There may be a better fan out there (hankering to try the 38mm thick Arctic Cooling quiet fan, as well as a few of the lower powered SilenX [yes, I said it], as well as a few more Scythes, among others), but that will come in time and a better fan will likely be only marginally better and still at a higher price.

I'm just glad I'd get to share this info with people (when I do get around to finalizing the rest of the data and publishing it :p: ) :)

Spawne32
01-16-2007, 03:46 PM
Everything I've seen so far says that the SL Yates at ~$3 a pop are the cat's meow for quiet cooling, and they do undervolt well. There may be a better fan out there (hankering to try the 38mm thick Arctic Cooling quiet fan, as well as a few of the lower powered SilenX [yes, I said it], as well as a few more Scythes, among others), but that will come in time and a better fan will likely be only marginally better and still at a higher price.

I'm just glad I'd get to share this info with people (when I do get around to finalizing the rest of the data and publishing it :p: ) :)

So if you could put the fans in a list, fans that you would reccomend, what would they be, like, nexus, YL, scythe, etc?

Vapor
01-16-2007, 03:55 PM
I won't do that, even if manufacturers tell me :)

I'll tell you which to avoid because they're simply worse than the competition, but unless there is a standout (these are fans, there won't be....same basic design in all of them), an outright recommendation will be rare. Right now the Yate stands out because it's so cheap and performs well. I have little doubt by the end of this, that it will NOT be the best performer in its group, however.

There are a few fans I'd avoid for now: everything Thermaltake so far (spare the stock TTBTvx fan), the YS-Tech "108CFM" 120x25mm fan (so loud, bad pressure....but it is the highest CFM 25mm I've seen), and possibly the Evercool aluminum (though, for ~$6 at most places, its metal frame can be used in other applications).

I'll let people glean what they want from the data. :fact:

Sparky
01-16-2007, 04:28 PM
Vapor, could you also test this cooler master LED fan (http://xoxide.com/cooler-master-120mm-fan-tlf-s12-eg-led-green.html) as well? I'm curious as to how it compare to the yates. Also I prefer green over blue myself, and since there is only a blue LED yate and no green, well, that forces me to look elsewhere ;)

Apparently xoxide is out of stock, Performance PCs has them in stock (http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69&products_id=2207) but they are more expensive there (figures).

If you can't/won't/whatever that is fine, but I figured it can't hurt to ask.

Spawne32
01-16-2007, 06:44 PM
I won't do that, even if manufacturers tell me :)

I'll tell you which to avoid because they're simply worse than the competition, but unless there is a standout (these are fans, there won't be....same basic design in all of them), an outright recommendation will be rare. Right now the Yate stands out because it's so cheap and performs well. I have little doubt by the end of this, that it will NOT be the best performer in its group, however.

There are a few fans I'd avoid for now: everything Thermaltake so far (spare the stock TTBTvx fan), the YS-Tech "108CFM" 120x25mm fan (so loud, bad pressure....but it is the highest CFM 25mm I've seen), and possibly the Evercool aluminum (though, for ~$6 at most places, its metal frame can be used in other applications).

I'll let people glean what they want from the data. :fact:

Hmm well then how can i put this..If im an overclocker going for serious air cooling, but as little noise as possible, would i choose...

A.)NEXUS 120MM REAL SILENT CASE FAN - D12SL-12
B.)YATE LOON 120mm Case Fan - D12SL-12
C.)Scythe S-Flex Fan - SFF21F
or
D.)Noctua 120mm Fan NF-S12-800

and you dont have to say which fan, just say a letter :p and take budget and prices out of the picture, i want maximum air, with as little noise as humanly possible. Now i know those 4 are like the top performers ive seen, i think, if it was me, which would you choose :D

and i will also add that i currently have 2 of those loonies in my cooler master elite right now, and the only fancy equipment i have to judge airflow is my hand and it just doesnt seem like it pushes alot, maybe you could explain the different in pressure and cfm, both loonies are running between 1300-1420rpm on a Lian Li 3.5 temp/fan controller, that doesnt use a rheostat, i think its pulse width modulation.

Vapor
01-16-2007, 07:56 PM
SparkyJJO, Coolermaster is one of the manus I will be approaching and I hope to be able to review that fan :)

Spawne....tsk tsk tsk, those are four (very) different fans. That said, I'd take the Nexus over the Noctua and I haven't tested the Scythe (and it spins at nearly twice the RPM of the Nexus and Noctua), so I can't say about that....and the Yate is also an outlier for speed.

I won't tell people what speed fan they need. I'll tell people what to be aware of and give them empirical data on fan performance and point out any stand outs (both negative and positive).

Veedo
01-16-2007, 08:03 PM
spawne, i think its safe to say not to go with the noctua, if you are looking for 'serious air cooling for overclocking' the noc isnt going to cut it. the noise difference from switching from my stock lian li case fans to the noctuas isnt worth the temp difference inside my case. with the adda fans, my cpu loads at 55c, which is high enough. throw the noc's in, temps climb to 60c under load. it is a bit quieter with the nocs, but if higher temps will break your overclock, i say go with some higher cfm fans. i think everyone has their own sense of "too loud", so thats just my opinion. so far it sounds like the yates are a good compromise between noise and cooling, i might pick up a few to try out, wheres the cheapest place to pick up some yates?

Vapor
01-16-2007, 08:06 PM
Jab-Tech and petra's come to mind for cheapest Yates, esp in quantity

BTW, don't expect miracles from the Yates, they aren't Hellen Keller or anything, but they're very good fans and have a great price. Also of note is the fact that the occasional one is of lower quality and will make excess noise.

Veedo
01-16-2007, 08:06 PM
not to throw this thread off topic, but vapor; is there a fan thats a little quieter than the lian li adda fans, but performs about the same, cfm wise? would the yates fit this description? would i need to run them at a lower voltage?

Vapor
01-16-2007, 08:12 PM
not to throw this thread off topic, but vapor; is there a fan thats a little quieter than the lian li adda fans, but performs about the same, cfm wise? would the yates fit this description? would i need to run them at a lower voltage?I unfortunately had my ADDA fan broken by baggage handling in either Hartford or Detroit, never got to test it. :(

I have the other Lian Li fan, which the Yate is noticably better than (all of Lian Lis I have have this constant motor noise at all voltage....and DO NOT use them with PWM modulation [motherboard headers], they'll make this loud dull clicking noise)...slightly better pressure and CFM/volt as well as being quieter. TBH though, the 'other' Lian Li fan was never known to be good.

Veedo
01-16-2007, 08:20 PM
well the yates are cheap enough to try out, but just browsing through the jabtech fan section, the arctic cooling 38mm fans do indeed look interesting, price isnt too bad either. i may add one of those into the basket to test. after all, what better things are there to do than test fans on a -10f night?

Vapor
01-16-2007, 08:36 PM
Test LN2 on a -10f night ;)

Spawne32
01-16-2007, 08:38 PM
well the yates are cheap enough to try out, but just browsing through the jabtech fan section, the arctic cooling 38mm fans do indeed look interesting, price isnt too bad either. i may add one of those into the basket to test. after all, what better things are there to do than test fans on a -10f night?

take that comp outside and see how high of an OC you can get LOL i have two loonies, intake and exhaust, i bought them from jab tech, vapor, what are your feelings on panaflo, i have a 92mm panaflo fan on my thermalright xp 90 and it seems to be the loudest thing in the case, what could i maybe do to replace it without sacificing temps.

Sparky
01-16-2007, 08:42 PM
7 volt the panaflo maybe? See what the temp difference is after doing so.

Veedo
01-16-2007, 08:54 PM
i have come to the conclusion that silent computing is just as addictive as overclocking :). its fun to lower noise levels to a bearable amount, while suffering as little a temp increase as possible. now im thinking about dragging my system outdoors, wonder if i could hit 3g with the 165 before my hdd's got too cold?

Vapor
01-16-2007, 09:24 PM
92mm Panaflo? No clue....but for the life of me, IDK how they got their M1 or L1 ratings, dB figures are exaggerated. H1 and U1 numbers are okay though, which is weird.

They do get quiet, but often below minimum starting volts, and also they still don't push the same amount of air at the same dB levels as fans designed to be quiet.

They do have extremely good pressure, and moderate otherwise performance.

Millyons
01-17-2007, 01:43 AM
OK i dont have experiance with to many fans especialy since in my country there is very little choice but this is what i got:

1. crazy-ass metal 120x38 100+cfm Adda
2. panflo 120x38 M1
3. Cooler master led 120 (the one from the link above) 40ish cfm 1200rpm
4. Sythe 120 40ish cfm 1200ish rpm (stock from infinity) not a s-flex its an Adda AD1212DS-A73GL
5. Sharkoon 120 (Globe) 1700rmp 53cfm
6. Cheiftec (Yate Loon) DS12SM 1650rpm 70cfm

Also no testing equipment and such just my experiance with them, and what i use
for an exaust the Quietest one out of them is the Sythe Adda fan, i at least't can hear it while its in the case, although when the Yate is turned down to the same speed its also quiet but seems to push more air. The cooler master is Noticably louder than them when at 1200 rpm, nothing intrusive or annoying but quite louder.

for my cpu HSF i also chose the Yate.....it deffenetly pushes more air than the Globe and is also quieter, the Panflo i would only recomend if you can try it and exchange it if its not good. The panflo when turned down is not bad sound wise basicly only air can be heard, and it pushes alot BUT my sample at least has some wierd vibration that even the case is vibrating from it, so i would only recomend it if it can be tested first.

I just wanded to say another thing, im in no way Yate fan boy or something, this yate that i got is actualy my first one and i got it last week but im really supprised how it wips my 1700rpm Globe, I put both of them against the metal Adda that i got and the Yate at full started spining its blades while the globe couldn't. Now i ordered 4 more to put more in the case instead of others (only one that im leaving is the Scythe as exhaust)

Oh ya and this is all from Performance over silence point of view, most fans are at 7v or a little less 24/7 and are turned up when gaming, i guess i was hoping that this noctua would be a miricle fan or something but from what vapor is posting i guess Yate SM and SL are best choice depending on what they are needed for (at least for me i dont consider the Nexus since i like just a tad more air when i need it)

paulesko
01-20-2007, 02:14 AM
I´ve just joined xtreem systems to warn you that noctu fans are not any good, I´ve bought four of them (at 20€ each) and thy´re way worse than yate lonn / nexus. You can see here in spcr forums my result of the comparison betwen nexus and noctua fans. ALways 3º hotter for noctua at the same RPM.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36124&start=120

Millyons
01-20-2007, 03:43 AM
thanks for coming over to help, and welcome to XS!

I recently started visiting spcr more and more and lol its hard being ripped between xs and spcr, hehe so now im running a 3.5ghz e6600 with the idle of almost 50c cause most of my fans are off or on 5v, best of both worlds :)

paulesko
01-20-2007, 08:05 AM
I understand you :) I´ve bought about 5 chips just to find the one who overclock properly without putting many volts on it.

I have my athlon x2 @ 2600 1.26v :D just great, it won´t go over 3150 with 1.58v but those 1.26 are what I was looking for. With 3 nexus @ 5v in my p180 it doesnt go over 50º at full (everything lapped)

Now that I´ve found it... I´m getting bored :D and I´m searching one of "those" core 2duo´s :) I´ve ordered two e4300 and two e6400 ..... I begin again.

p.d. thanks for the welcome ;)

Supertim0r
01-20-2007, 08:26 AM
the noctua fan in my TT120 leaked. I have some oil/grease on my fan...weird

Spawne32
01-20-2007, 08:30 AM
I understand you :) I´ve bought about 5 chips just to find the one who overclock properly without putting many volts on it.

I have my athlon x2 @ 2600 1.26v :D just great, it won´t go over 3150 with 1.58v but those 1.26 are what I was looking for. With 3 nexus @ 5v in my p180 it doesnt go over 50º at full (everything lapped)

Now that I´ve found it... I´m getting bored :D and I´m searching one of "those" core 2duo´s :) I´ve ordered two e4300 and two e6400 ..... I begin again.

p.d. thanks for the welcome ;)

you can afford to buy 4 processors at a time? :slobber:

paulesko
01-20-2007, 09:37 AM
Of course not :D three friends told me to mount them a computer (one for each) I just had to convince them that core 2 duo is great, and I´ll have four samples, one for me, three for my friends, I´ll take the best one.

Wish I could buy 4 chips at the same time :D but I´m just an student :( with low wage ;)

edit: by the way I didn´t wanted to show off that I could affor to buy that, maybe my expresion wasn´t accurate, I´m not very use to write in english.

Millyons
01-20-2007, 12:16 PM
you can afford to buy 4 processors at a time? :slobber:

lol man on this forum there are ppl that have or test hundreds of cpus, vga cards etc, every once in a while there are pics of ppl benching with a stash of x6800 or such

mcoleg
01-23-2007, 07:31 PM
don't get too excited about those noctuas. they are fantastic as case fans but yate-loons slow outperform them inside a tuniq.

s1rrah
01-23-2007, 07:51 PM
AT that price I would much rather get a Silverstone FM-132.

searched on the "FM-132" and couldn't find anything ... have you got any links?

Veedo
02-04-2007, 03:45 PM
well i thought i would just throw in my latest results in experimenting with a couple case fans. earlier in this thread i took out my stock adda case fans in my lian li v1100, and threw in the noctuas. much quieter of course, but cpu load temps went way up, around 8c higher than before. so after reading all the hype on the yate loons, i ordered a bunch of them to try in my system, and replace a few that have gone kaput in others peoples rigs. running the fans ouside of the box, i could hardly tell a difference in noise output between the noctua nf-s12 and the yate loon d12sl. as vapor stated earlier, they each sort of have their own noise, but both are very very quiet, to my ears anyways. sooo, now for the real test, i swapped out both the noctua fans in my case and threw in the loonies. here are the temp results after running orthos for exactly one hour, in both tests. readings via pcprobe 2. only things changed were case fans, nothing more.

v1100 with Noctua nfs12 case fans:

CPU - 62c
MB - 48c
GPU - 50c

v1100 with Yate Loon d12sl case fans

CPU - 57c
MB - 45c
GPU - 47

so around a 5c difference in cpu temps favoring the yate loons, a fan that has similar cfm ratings as the noctua, is just as quiet to MY ears, and costs MUCH less. and the YL's are not white and brown :woot: also, the yate loons only raised my cpu load temps by around 2c compared to using the stock stock ~70cfm addas, and are MUCH quieter than the adda fans.

now my system has workable temps, and i cannot hear it from all corners of my house. i know this is XS, most people here probobly dont care about noise as much as the average cat, but i figured i would share my results here with anyone thinking about dropping 20 bucks on a quiet white and brown case fan. spcr's testing must have indeed been flawed! i wish i would have seen vapors results before i bought the noctuas! :dammit:

mcoleg
02-04-2007, 08:35 PM
oh, believe me, after a couple of years of listening to deltas lots of ppl move to cooling that's nice and quiet :P

Judaeus Apella
02-04-2007, 09:26 PM
Im sorry, but Im just not impressed by that fan... it doesn't even get over 50cfm. Also, what's the air pressure vs cfm? And don't you be dissin my Delta. :( They're only loud depending on the model, and if you tame them or not. If you buy a 200cfm fan, thats your own fault. LOL

Veedo
02-05-2007, 08:36 AM
oh, believe me, after a couple of years of listening to deltas lots of ppl move to cooling that's nice and quiet :P

yep, ive had a loud system for my past few builds. i just couldnt take it anymore! the noise will slowly eat at your mind and eventually you will crack lol. its no longer balls to the wall extreme voltage/high heat for my main rig, its finding a happy medium between silence and overclock, which often is only a couple hundred mhz on the cpu that i will hardly notice. i feel more relaxed computing at night now that there isnt a constant drone ringing in my ears. dont get me wrong im all about pushing the limits of hardware, just not as xtreme as most otheres here.:toast:

enz660
02-05-2007, 09:56 AM
yep, ive had a loud system for my past few builds. i just couldnt take it anymore! the noise will slowly eat at your mind and eventually you will crack lol. its no longer balls to the wall extreme voltage/high heat for my main rig, its finding a happy medium between silence and overclock, which often is only a couple hundred mhz on the cpu that i will hardly notice. i feel more relaxed computing at night now that there isnt a constant drone ringing in my ears. dont get me wrong im all about pushing the limits of hardware, just not as xtreme as most otheres here.:toast:
agreed

mcoleg
02-05-2007, 09:26 PM
now, now, Judaeus... we all been there, going for the fastest and ending with the loudest; taming or otherwise :P

Judaeus Apella
02-06-2007, 02:08 AM
I don't know what you guys are talking about... mine is very quiet. I think you guys are full of it.

:slapass: