PDA

View Full Version : Sound Improvement Suggestions

Lurid
12-18-2006, 10:24 PM
Just got done sound-proofing my case, and I thought it'd be a good time to invest in some nice audio gear, what with the soon-to-be price drops after the holidays. Everything will be used solely for music, mostly alt rock and some slightly heavier stuff. At any rate, i'm interested in a 2.1 speaker setup, a pair of cans, and a new sound card.

I've been looking at the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's for the speakers, as i've heard they're quite good for music.

The sound card...possibly the area where I have the most hang-ups, i've heard the most important thing for music is a strong line out, and i've had the Chaintech VF-710's recommended to me a few times, however i'd like to make sure. Something with Linux support would be a very big plus.

As for the cans...something with a nice soundstage and a medium level of bass would be great. I prefer cans without a bass level so high as to distort the overall sound of the music, a good clean, clear, crisp sound is best for my uses. It'll be used with a custom CMOY pocket amp. Just from looking around the Grado's and Sennheiser's caught my attention, namely the SR-80's, SR-60's, and a few other cans. However this is going from the (I assume) slightly outdated sticky, and with limit knowlage of headphones. The only downside of ordering online is that I don't have the ability to test fit, or listen to anything until it gets here, which is one of the major reasons why opinions are so greatly appreciated.

Budget...I don't really have an outlined budget per-say, just keep in mind that i'm not made of money, and would like the best price / performance ratio of the three items listed. However if alittle more money will improve quality greatly then i'll stretch when possible. As of now, i'd like to spend around $300 if thats pheasable, if not then so be it. As always advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated :)

zabomb4163
12-18-2006, 11:08 PM
my sennheiser 280's were the best 100$ ive ever spent. they outperform most 300$ headphones.

Lurid
12-18-2006, 11:21 PM
Sweet, those look like good cans from the specs and reviews. Are yours amplified, and / or do they benefit considerably from it?

Teratism
12-19-2006, 02:05 AM
You have a great 2.1 speaker choice. You also are in the right brands for cans (being sennheiser and grados) which are both excellent. For a sound card I would say the X-meridian. http://www.auzentech.com/site/index.php
Reviews are linked on that site.

lowfat
12-21-2006, 09:19 AM
You have a great 2.1 speaker choice. You also are in the right brands for cans (being sennheiser and grados) which are both excellent. For a sound card I would say the X-meridian. http://www.auzentech.com/site/index.php
Reviews are linked on that site.

I don't think that card is needed for a 2.1 setup definately if he has a decent headphone amp. The Wolfsen DAC for the front channels on the AV710 is quite good.

Teratism
12-21-2006, 09:28 AM
True, that card is mostly made for 5.1/7.1 HT systems. He could grab an x-plosion, b-enspirer, audigy 2 zs, chaintech vf-710, turtle beach montego, damn my mind is blanking right now on other cards.

The biggest point I was looking at the x-meridian was that you can change up the opamps for better analog, making the card in my opinion a longer lasting sound card.