PDA

View Full Version : Swiftech MCW50-T

Ocbench
05-09-2003, 03:23 PM
Hi Guys.....

I am thinking about buying one of these Swiftech MCW50-T. I am currently using a Zalman ZM80A-Hp and 2*92mm Enermax to cool my R9700Pro. I have also Gpu moddet my R9700Pro at Core=439 Mem=708. Do you think I can improve my GFX overclock with one of these? It would be nice with some input from the more experienced TEC/pelt users.....

Daniel Andrew Lowe

Tweaked!
05-09-2003, 03:36 PM
You'll still have the link here, but I'm moving this over to the tec forum. You'll get more knowledgeable answers over there. In here, it'll get swamped by nf7 and xp1700 threads and float off to oblivion;) :D

Ocbench
05-09-2003, 03:43 PM
Ok no problem Thx.

Tweaked!
05-09-2003, 05:01 PM
It is my understanding that the Swiftech is one of the better setups for air cooled pelts, it should help you considerably if you're having heat issues. If you're not sure if your problems are heat related, try touching the Zalman towards the base of the unit and seeing if it feels extremely hot. If it does, then more than likely it is heat related. Have you done anything to cool the memory on the card, or does it even feel warm?

Ocbench
05-10-2003, 12:12 AM
The memory is being cooled by the standard Hercules heatsinks, because the Zalman heatsink is so low that no other memory heatsinks can fit under it. When I stop the 92mm Enermax on the Zalman the base of it gets xtremly hot. So unfortunalty the 2 fans are neccecary. I have heard that the Peltier on the Swiftech MCW50-T, generates a lot of heat, so it heats up the general watertemp in my system. Thats why I am also planning on getting a Radi from a 92´Toyota Corolla.
Do you think I will be able to overclock my Gfx more with on of these? My currently speeds are Core=439 Mem=708.
And is dielectric grease neccecary?

Tedinde
05-11-2003, 03:59 AM
I've been using rads from a '79 ford PU, 6" x 6" and soldering 1/2 fittings where the 5/8th were. Im using it on a 9700 pro, added 45 mhz more stable on the core then i could get with a Zalmon with a fan blowing on it.

Your still gonna have to put some air to the card to cool them memory. But the good thing is you can put some nice memory Sinks on it now with the swifty

mdzcpa
05-11-2003, 06:39 AM
The MCW50-T will definitely allow for higher overclocks...even without a voltage mod. I gained another 30mhz in the core moving to a pelted GPU cooler from straight water.

Keep in mind, the rule of thumb is never to run a pelted block in the same loop as a non pelted block. Although it appears you're already addressing higher water temps, keep in mind that your CPU cooling will diminish adding a pelted GPU block everything else being equal. I would think your new rad should have you covered though. Just keep an eye on those CPU temps.

As far as using dielectric grease, you only need to use a very tiny amount along the perimeter of the GPU. The MCW50-T fitment is great and the gaskets are effective so there is no big gaps to fill. The grease is applied more as just a film coating rather than to fill air space. I used a tiny film coating just in case some moisture formed at the edges of the coldplate. Your bigger risk for condensation will be the back of the card. Make sure to use the neoprene patch for the back. I comibine a coating of liquid electrical tape plus the neoprene patch for total security.

Ocbench
05-12-2003, 04:04 AM
Ohh okay I see. But when im applying the dielectric grease, is that done on the GPU it self or rater around the base of it??? And is AS3 even needed???
Please bare with me, it´s my first step into the TEC/pelt world.....

Tedinde
05-12-2003, 06:02 PM
Artic silver or other thermal paste on the GPU core. And dielectric around the core. Fill it full!!

Ocbench
05-13-2003, 09:45 AM
That sounds very good guys.
The Swiffy should arrive tomorrow, so I just wanted to make sure that I wasn´t completly out of my mind when ordering this GFX cooler.

Thx for all the help and advice.

Daniel Andrew Lowe

mdzcpa
05-14-2003, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by Tedinde
Artic silver or other thermal paste on the GPU core. And dielectric around the core. Fill it full!!

Hmmm....I know that with the MCW40 +T, the lower gasket mounted on the card itself, and it was indeed necessary to "fill in" the air space between the edges of the GPU and the gasket to prevent air pockets...and possible moisture forming.

However, on the MCW50 +T, there is no gasket for the card itself...all gaskets are mounted to the waterblock. And the coldplate itself is only marginally larger than the GPU itslef (by a few mm at most). When the MCW50 is fitted, there is almost zero free air space around the GPU and coldplate. So, be careful not to apply too much dielectric grease or it could squish out onto the GPU which would be bad.

PimpJack
05-16-2003, 07:04 PM
Swifty has great instructions included with your block. I second what mdzcpa said about too much dialectriv grease and good contact. For some reason i could never get 100% contact with my mcw-50t.