PDA

View Full Version : Database program creation help!

JBELL
05-09-2003, 11:41 AM
I am creating a national directory of title companies and appraisers.

My goal:

Create a file in what ever program with two search fields.
The fields will be by county and by state.

What program do I use?
How do I create it?
Does it need to be client/server? or standalone matrix like excel file?
Do I need a special app. written for this?
What book would best help me do this and what ammount of time should it take to set up a defualt blank file to add into?
Can I also have an entry field to add new listings as I go and auto-parse them where they need to go?

Thanks in advance.

Joe

CCW
05-10-2003, 08:32 AM
Microsoft Access would do this?

wdd1040
05-10-2003, 08:43 AM
Any database program should be able to do this. Access, maybe even outlook, but more then likely you'll want someone higher quality to allow for more features. I can't remember any of the names of them, but I'll look into it more. You would definitely want one that will write the database in XML format for compatibility with future programs and the ability to export to almost anything with relative ease.
~Wes

CCW
05-10-2003, 01:20 PM
Outlook is just mail management, i wouldnt have thought that could do it?

Charles Wirth
05-10-2003, 01:23 PM
File maker pro 6

You can run the wizard and create a database with the properties you need and it will function when you press "finish"

It can run as a web server itself and very easy to publish and access database from the web. very

If you want to see a sample I do want you want above in about 15 minutes

Do you want them to access and input their information? or do you have the information in a file already?

Peckers
05-14-2003, 05:21 AM
Access is quite easy to work with and gives you the basic feautures, for more professional use Commerce Server och SQL Server is widely used, but Access can easely do the things you wrote. I've never needed a book when working is Access since It's helpfunction is quite good.

JBELL
05-14-2003, 05:58 AM
Fugger - yeah cool I am curious about that.

Charles Wirth
05-14-2003, 07:05 AM
I will setup a sample and host it.

JBELL
05-14-2003, 07:19 AM
cool.