PDA

View Full Version : Want to Install Ubuntu 6.10 but need to clear a few things first!

Inteleron
12-16-2006, 01:23 PM
Hey guys, I will be installing Ubuntu 6.10 x64 soon but how do you get drivers for linux? My system config is: Sempron E6 2600+ | Abit NV8 [NF4-4x] | OCZ Premier 1G DualC | eVGA 7600GT | WD 80G HDD | Samsung Syncmaster 171s|
Id like to familiarize myself with the process of installing drivers before i install linux and get stranded.

[XC] Teroedni
12-16-2006, 02:36 PM
I would recomend that you get the 32 bit version of Ubuntu instead as 64 bit eats more ram.

As for drivers
:D
The only drivers you will need to install is the Nvidia binary 3d acceleration ones.
You dont use wireless right?

sierra_bound
12-16-2006, 02:45 PM
This is a very good starter guide.

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Edgy

Inteleron
12-16-2006, 03:14 PM
This is a very good starter guide.

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Edgy

Very Good guide! so from what i Understand to install Nvidia drivers it requires you to edit a few lines in some file. Now how about my Mobo? NF4-4x drivers, Audio, Lan, usb.

sierra_bound
12-16-2006, 03:27 PM
When you install Ubuntu, it will detect what hardware you're using. No need to install USB or LAN drivers. Linux does not support X-Fi cards. But audio through my motherboard sounds decent.

Inteleron
12-16-2006, 04:34 PM
Very nice! So all that needs to be installed is my 7600GT. How hard was it for you to configure your network settings and install you ISP software? i have to look into that at my ISP's website.

Duh
12-16-2006, 06:28 PM
Installation itself is very very easy! I was a winxp guy and inserted the cd into the drive and I called a frined by phone just to feel a bit more confident. I think i did the whole process in 30´or so :D

Very nice! So all that needs to be installed is my 7600GT. How hard was it for you to configure your network settings and install you ISP software? i have to look into that at my ISP's website.

What type of connection are you using? It even detected my D link and routed me all the way through :cool:

Inteleron
12-16-2006, 08:11 PM
Installation itself is very very easy! I was a winxp guy and inserted the cd into the drive and I called a frined by phone just to feel a bit more confident. I think i did the whole process in 30Žor so :D

What type of connection are you using? It even detected my D link and routed me all the way through :cool:

Its Rogers Hi-Speed Xtreme! on a Motorola surfboard modem. Im in the process of getting a router. And ill probably be using wires since my comps are only 2 feet apart.

sierra_bound
12-16-2006, 08:20 PM
When you begin the installation, you can choose to run Ubuntu off your CD/DVD. That way you can check it out without actually reformatting you HDD. There will be an "Install" desktop icon. If you click it, Ubuntu will actually be installed on your drive. It's also very easy to create a dual-boot system with Ubuntu 6.10 and XP.

Inteleron
12-17-2006, 07:25 PM
Well you see im giving my spare comp to my dad and all he will be doing is web surfing to check his soccer scores, so Ubuntu will be sufficient. I jsut want to get it up and running asap, I dont liek projects that linger on.

Update: Took teroedni's advice, installed Ubuntu 6.10 i386 and evrything went pleasant. Picture seems great and responsive, i dont get that lag scrolling down pages. Does this meen Ubuntu auto installed my 7600GT also?

[XC] Teroedni
01-03-2007, 01:12 PM
Well Ubuntu probably installed the open source nv module.

It works, but you will have no 3d accel. So if i were you i would install the nvidia-glx driver which will give you 3d acceleration:)

xlink
01-04-2007, 03:50 AM
i recommend the 32bit version as it's easier to learn. more things work for it.

everything should eb fine for the most part.

I think you might need/want to install VESA drivers for the GFX card first(when installing the whole OS), then get the latest and greatest straight off the net
I had issues getting my 7800 to work and that was the only way(albiet this was a while back)

alejo
01-06-2007, 03:00 AM
There are also certain scripts that will install the nvidia glx drivers (and a bunch of other stuff) and give you all that cool 3d accelerated desktop stuff (beryl, is it?) There's a lot of information on Ubuntu's forums. It's a great distro.

frak
01-30-2007, 06:32 PM
Well you see im giving my spare comp to my dad and all he will be doing is web surfing to check his soccer scores, so Ubuntu will be sufficient. I jsut want to get it up and running asap, I dont liek projects that linger on.

Update: Took teroedni's advice, installed Ubuntu 6.10 i386 and evrything went pleasant. Picture seems great and responsive, i dont get that lag scrolling down pages. Does this meen Ubuntu auto installed my 7600GT also?
No, NVidia is closed source so we refuse (and legally cant) add their drivers in, due to license agreements, but if you go to synaptic and search for nvidia, you will find the drivers you need, but make sure you enabled multiverse and commercial first.