PDA

View Full Version : Product request: Unbinned D9 RAM, cheap.

alexio
12-15-2006, 04:31 AM
How did overclocking started? Well, in the beginning the main reason for overclocking was to get more value for your money. For example by running a cheap 500mh PIII at 800mhz to match the performance of the more expensive PIII 800mhz part. The same goes for the BH5 mania. It seems those days are over and now it's almost impossible to get good overclockable stuff for a reasonable price. $250 for a 2GB kit that failed higher binning is not a decent price, it's outrages. That's just my opinion. I'm not saying this the the fault of OCZ, binning is an expensive process.

What I propose to OCZ is to release a product that is guaranteed to have Micron D9GMH or D9GKX IC's that is unbinned. These products could be rated at a pathetic PC2-5300 5-5-5-* spec, I don't care and many others don't either. Much of the fun of overclocking is handpicking stuff yourself and obtain high percentage overclocks. Current superhigh binning takes much of the fun away, knowing that you either pay an outrages price or you get stuff that failed higher specs. Also it's much more fun to set records with RAM that isn't factory clocked at DDR2-1000+ already.

Please, release a product with D9GMH or D9GKX for say $150-200 that is unbinned, runs at pathetic! factory settings and preferably has no heatsink attached.

This proposal I made without knowing the current availability of high bin D9 IC's from Micron. It could be hard to release such a product and still make some profit, but please try to for us overclockers.

Okda
12-15-2006, 04:47 AM
ya i really miss the days of teh Value VX fro OCZ

hope that prices of DDR2 will decrease so 200$ will still you a good ram

RyderOCZ
12-15-2006, 06:13 AM
At that price it can't be done, not a 2GB kit, that might do for 1 stick.

GrimReaper
12-15-2006, 06:18 AM

350-400$ seems about right for a 2gb kit of GKX. :D

alexio
12-15-2006, 06:40 AM
That's odd. Crucial 2GB PC5300 3.0-3-3-12 D9GMH was on sale not too long ago for $229 and it's handpicked stuff. Now it's upto $279, but still it's highly handpicked :rolleyes:

Why can't OCZ deliver RAM with the same IC's, without heatspreader and without handpicking for +-$200 or even a little less? Can you explain why it would cost $150-200 a stick?

RyderOCZ
12-15-2006, 06:45 AM
IC Cost, I can't give specifics....Crucial is owned/part of Micron...gee, why wouldn't they have a good price.

alexio
12-15-2006, 07:00 AM
IC Cost, I can't give specifics....Crucial is owned/part of Micron...gee, why wouldn't they have a good price.
http://ramlist.ath.cx/ddr2/
Here you see that two Buffalo PC2-6400 5-5-5 memory types use D9GMH. Both products retail for +-$245 and they probably have some handpicking. They are not failed PC2-8000 or PC2-6400 4-4-4-* as those use D9GKX. There are more examples of cheaper RAM that uses high Micron factory binned IC's.

And about Micron owning Crucial. Micron would put itself out of the high-end market if they would price their memory too low. If you stand behind your statement you are basicly saying that OCZ can never compete with Crucial price/performance-wise.

RyderOCZ
12-15-2006, 07:31 AM
I stand behind my statement that at the price OCZ pays for Micron IC's, we probably cannot offer a 2GB kit at $200. Nontheless, I will pass your request on to the office, as I have requested something similar myself.

I also don't think that you can consider that list to be 100% accurate, it is published and updated by an individual, not maintained by the manufacturers of the ram (no that is not a shot at the author, I am only saying that it can and will be flawed at certain times due to manuf. adjusting IC's on modules.) Take Corsair for example, they already changed from Micron on one of their 6400 kits to Promos: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=125012
There are also 2 entries for OCZ that are incorrect.

Micron seems to be the only IC anyone wants and I really don't understand it, there is nothing wrong with Promos, PSC, Infineon, etc. Everyone thinks that Micron is the only way to have good performance.

cadaveca
12-15-2006, 08:08 AM
It could be highly profitable if you could jump the gun, and start another UTT craze. But as you say, this really needs to eb started by Micron, and not OCZ.:fact:

In local pricing, even generic sticks are not cheap...regular micron un-binned(valueram) still sells for only $20-$30 less per stick..add in the heatspreader, and a tiny amount of binning, and that cost is pretty accurate for binned parts. i'm actually very impressed in that regard.

I AM a bit dissappointed to see the micron OCZ ram have a price higher than thier regular sticks, but at the same time, OCZ offers the lowest price point...to the point that i don't think they let retailer's gouge us too terribly much, which is a real good thing.

But hey, I'm glad someone has the same thoughts about this as I do...there really isn't much in the way of overclocking left for overclockers.

guess2098
12-15-2006, 10:44 AM
market price D9GMH is about $8 per IC
D9GKX is $12 per ic

one stick 1GB has 16 IC

now do the math!

btw remember add some "fee" into this

irev210
12-15-2006, 11:34 AM
Micron seems to be the only IC anyone wants and I really don't understand it, there is nothing wrong with Promos, PSC, Infineon, etc. Everyone thinks that Micron is the only way to have good performance.

If there is nothing wrong with Promos, PSC, Infineon, etc... why cant they handle high-volts and high speeds? I like my inexpensive IC as much as the next.... but I want the best :) For my cheaper media center I use Elpedia, for laptop... I use D9DCN. For stuff I dont care about XTREME performance, im okay with cheaper GOOD clocking alternatives.

Time and time again, the best IC at the moment has been Micron.

Same reason why everyone loved winbond.

Sure, TCCD was a great alt. but it didnt offer the performance that 3.4vDimm BH-5 did.

When promos offers DDR2 that I can do 3-2-2-1 at 400mhz (my D9DQT) or 3-3-3-8 at 440mhz(D9GMH) ... I will be first in line to buy it.

If PROMOS can already do that, send me a link of some OCZ memory and I will buy it right now :)

People want the best, just nobody wants to pay for it heh.

I guess my bigger question is, why is Micron having such issues with capacity? Why arnt they making more D9 goodness... the demand is definitely there.

In short, everyone wants Micron because they perform the best. Are there good, cheaper choices, YES. Does anyone want them, yes lots of people... but not us XTREME guys :)