PDA

View Full Version : 2 Loops versus 1 loop with 2 rads?

CedricFP
12-11-2006, 07:08 PM
I am slowly putting together my new system in my mind and I am certainly going to upgrade my MCR220 to 320.

Thermochill is out of the question, because nobody who ships internationally is stocking it right now, and nobody who sells second hand wants to ship int. So that leaves me with one move - the second best.

I will also be buying a DDC18w/Petras top to replace my noisy D5.

Now, I don't want to just throw away my MCR220 - but it's not exactly going to sell for very much and if I pay shipping to the states or europe, I will lose money on the sale.

So that leaves me with two possibilities:

1. Single loop - two rads: Res->DDC2w/Petras->MCR320->MCR220->CPU Block->GPU Block->Chipset Block

OR

2. Dual loop: Res->DDC2w/Petras->MCR320->CPU->Chipset AND Res->D5->MCR220->GPU

Which would you recommend? One means buying 2 resevoirs which is a pain (I want to replace my leaky switchtech mcres with some of the nice EK ones) but if it yields better performance, then why not?

As it stands, I won't be using a very high restriction loop. Most likely candidates for blocks are Apogee, MCW60/Apogee-1U, MCW30 so perhaps the first loop with a single res and that powerful pump wouldn't suffer from the restriction caused by the second rad.

What are your opinions?

pumbertot
12-11-2006, 09:33 PM
2nd one for sure if performance matters. forget res, get 2 t-lines and 2 caps for them. much easier for filling/bleeding.

Clay
12-11-2006, 10:03 PM
Yulp 2# Loops is better.

CedricFP
12-11-2006, 10:45 PM
2nd one for sure if performance matters. forget res, get 2 t-lines and 2 caps for them. much easier for filling/bleeding.
I find reservoirs easier to bleed my self. No turning the case upside down and what not.

With Eddie's res's, I plan on drilling a circular hole in the top so the cap sticks out just a bit which would make for very easy filling.

So I suppose the consensus is #2 then. How much of a performance difference are we talking about between options #1 + #2?

A great advantage to option 2 is that I can replace my GPU/CPU systems independently without having to drain the entire thing. A big plus for me seeing as I'm always fiddling with mounts and stuff. When I still had my 165 on water, I must've remounted about 10 times within 2 months...

Time to figure out how to fit an MCR320+220 inside a Lian-Li PC-007...

CedricFP
12-14-2006, 07:21 PM
Ok, as it stands, I don't think I will be able to mod the Lian-Li PC-007 (PC-60 size) to accomodate two loops.

I'll be able to have a single loop with two rads, but I can't find a place to put two pumps, particularly since the triple rad will lie along the bottom eliminating practically all surface space. I'm not even sure where I will put 1 pump, but I'll figure that one out.

Would a DDC2w/Petras be able to handle this setup:

MCR320>MCR220>Apogee>Maze4/MCW60>MCW30>EK Res>DDC2

Without running into flow troubles? I doubt it will, as it's a powerful pump but I'm just searching for a second opinion. I don't have the space to use two loops so I'm going to have to make it 1 loop.

EDIT: Hmm, perhaps it's just a better idea if I ditch the 220 and go for a single 320 set-up.

Fuzzy_3D
12-14-2006, 08:53 PM
Ok, as it stands, I don't think I will be able to mod the Lian-Li PC-007 (PC-60 size) to accomodate two loops.

I'll be able to have a single loop with two rads, but I can't find a place to put two pumps, particularly since the triple rad will lie along the bottom eliminating practically all surface space. I'm not even sure where I will put 1 pump, but I'll figure that one out.

Would a DDC2w/Petras be able to handle this setup:

MCR320>MCR220>Apogee>Maze4/MCW60>MCW30>EK Res>DDC2

Without running into flow troubles? I doubt it will, as it's a powerful pump but I'm just searching for a second opinion. I don't have the space to use two loops so I'm going to have to make it 1 loop.

EDIT: Hmm, perhaps it's just a better idea if I ditch the 220 and go for a single 320 set-up.

Considering you're on a C2D ,and an x1600, I'd say leave the 220 in the closet for now, untill your next build. The 320 should do just as good a job by itself. Once you start to OC the E6300, then throw 220 in.

CedricFP
12-15-2006, 05:23 PM
Considering you're on a C2D ,and an x1600, I'd say leave the 220 in the closet for now, untill your next build. The 320 should do just as good a job by itself. Once you start to OC the E6300, then throw 220 in.

Hmm?

This is for my rig I'm building:

E6600/Xeon 3060
8800GTX
P5B-DLX