PDA

View Full Version : Razer Tarantula?

Soulburner
12-09-2006, 08:59 PM
I haven't seen any talk about this.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1908876,00.asp

And why does it look different than the one on their site?

http://www.razerzone.com/Products/Gaming-Keyboard/Razer-Tarantula-Gaming-Keyboard/

The specs look great. Thoughts? Would you buy this over a Logitech G15?

Turtle 1
12-09-2006, 09:13 PM
Ya I was looking at these. Waiting for some reviews. I really like the swapable keys and the spot light . Should be a good gamer key board.
Lower latency. 10 programmable game setups should be sweat.

Serra
12-09-2006, 09:54 PM
I've gotta say that looks pretty sweet. Depending on price I might have to grab one of those in the upcoming year.

12-09-2006, 10:15 PM
Would you buy this over a Logitech G15?
A better question would be "What WOULDN'T you buy over a G15?" :p:

Soulburner
12-09-2006, 10:20 PM
It looks killer for sure. My main question is why do those 2 shots look totally different though? Maybe it was just a prototype.

kuhla
12-10-2006, 12:03 AM
And why does it look different than the one on their site?

Maybe I will post better in this thread tommorow (tired, go to bed now) but the picture that the pcmag has is one from a press release of the prototype for the tarantula with a screen (like the G15, see the screen?). The screen version of the tarantula never came out but the non-screen version did. No one knows what happened to the screen version if it is going to come out at a later date or not.

EDIT : Oh and here is a good video review of the tarantula -->> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9yJjfhbB6o&eurl=

Soulburner
12-10-2006, 01:28 AM
3D Gameman video review:

http://www.3dgameman.com/content/view/5438/103

Turtle 1
12-10-2006, 07:30 AM
Maybe I will post better in this thread tommorow (tired, go to bed now) but the picture that the pcmag has is one from a press release of the prototype for the tarantula with a screen (like the G15, see the screen?). The screen version of the tarantula never came out but the non-screen version did. No one knows what happened to the screen version if it is going to come out at a later date or not.

EDIT : Oh and here is a good video review of the tarantula -->> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9yJjfhbB6o&eurl=

Thanks for that link. We decided to order 5 of these based off of Matts review. Were very excited about these keyboards. As we are Razor mouse exclusive these will complement your systems wonderfully.
Again thanks for the link to that very nice review.

rhalle
12-10-2006, 08:52 AM
I bought a Tarantula recently.

It's overpriced, but nice. It looks and feels like an oversized HTPC keyboard.

The keys are both clicky and soft. Tactile feel and key response are great-- for gaming, it simply blows away the Logitech media elite I replaced.

Also, there has been some discussion that the keyboard is a ripoff of the Logitech S510. And, after looking at pictures the Logitech, I have to agree that something fishy is going on. '18 months in development' for the Tarantula quickly begins to sound like a half-truth, since it looks like they stole the keyboard shape, or somehow use the same fab process as the S510 with some extra keys thrown in-- or something. Whatever it is, it's pretty clear that something is going on:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2162,CONTENTID=10710

With the exception of the Tarantula's side macro keys, the shape, layout, media button placement, and even the too-shiny black plastic are identical.

I wish someone from Razer would fess up to what's going on.

Soulburner
12-10-2006, 10:13 AM
If that is the only thing you can find to gripe about, who cares?

kuhla
12-10-2006, 02:41 PM
As we are Razor mouse exclusive these will complement your systems wonderfully.

1.) By "we" who do you mean?

2.) May I ask why?

Also, there has been some discussion that the keyboard is a ripoff of the Logitech S510. And, after looking at pictures the Logitech, I have to agree that something fishy is going on.

Do you visit Razerblueprints? :hammer: I ask because I know it was discussed there a couple of times.

Exedy
12-10-2006, 02:46 PM
really good keyboard, i love razer products but this one is a nice choice too for "extreme gaming"

its simple ...but liked design :p: much expensive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16823703001

Soulburner
12-10-2006, 06:24 PM
Never heard of that one, but it doesn't seem like such a great deal when the Tarantula is about the same price with a lot more features.

Sparky
12-10-2006, 08:17 PM
Expensive!

Turtle 1
12-11-2006, 08:11 AM
When I say we I mean my daughters gaming PC company. Why we like the razor mouses and are exclusive.
We decided that the parts we use in our PC's to be exclusive.
So we buy what we think or believe to be the best available hardware out at any given time. But are very open to changes.
As of right now. Whats in the box is .

Intel C2D .6800 only ( Intel only neverchange)
NV single G80gtx No sli. We feel that as of yet SLI or XF does not scale well enough to justify its use(With exception). If R600 proves to have better render we will change to these. If customers orders a HPLP 2465 lcd SLI is standard. NV M/B.
Corsiar exclusive Model change as released 2x1g. ( Corsair like intel will never be changed.)
Raptor 4x Hd. Raid 0 until something better comes along.

2x Plextor sata optical drives. Subject to change. HD- DVD soon.

PC power and cooling. PSU. 1000&850 watts. PC P&C this will never change as far as company. Models can change.

All componets on M/B and HD drives water cooled. Water blocks for the most part are changing constantly. This is our biggest headache. Water system is my design. As we use manifolds and flow control meters.

Lian LI v2000 case custom paint only - Turtle 1 signature series.

LCD-ViewsonicVP2130b- Optional HPLP 2465 SLI only. NV M/B

M/B best available - constant change.

Razor Copperhead gameing mouse and now the Tarantula keyboard. Exclusive - No changes. We tested both the Krait and the Deathadder(maybe the release will be better) but felt copperhead was the best. Still will look again at deathadder upon release.
Sound is standard. 1 option only Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Elite and that comes with Gigeworks s750.
3 year full warranty on all parts. No pissing around on this our customers have a problem we take care of it. When I come to your house to fix problem
If the bios is not factory locked ,. I leave no questions no warranty.
Since all our gamers come O/C at 3.85 . We well not tolerate any bios change . Zero tolerance.

Teratism
12-11-2006, 02:46 PM
Any specific reasons you think the razer tarantula is a better board than any logitech or saitek boards, or the zboard merc gaming keyboard?

On an OT Turtle 1: It is a gaming company correct? Makes me wonder why you put in an X-fi Elite instead of a Fatal1ty (for x-ram to cut down on CPU cycles), if it is for better sound wouldn't something from Auzentech like the x-plosion or x-meridian be better?

Turtle 1
12-11-2006, 07:30 PM
Any specific reasons you think the razer tarantula is a better board than any logitech or saitek boards, or the zboard merc gaming keyboard?

On an OT Turtle 1: It is a gaming company correct? Makes me wonder why you put in an X-fi Elite instead of a Fatal1ty (for x-ram to cut down on CPU cycles), if it is for better sound wouldn't something from Auzentech like the x-plosion or x-meridian be better?

I don't think so . But I won't debate that issue either. It has 64mb ram onboard

Sin
12-11-2006, 07:44 PM
I like my LCD on the G15.

justin_c
12-11-2006, 08:15 PM
x fi elite has different DACs; not much of a difference.