PDA

View Full Version : general heat question

Attitudx
05-07-2003, 01:14 PM
using a amd xp2000 unlocked running at stock speeds. I dont think my board is reading the temp correctly. What i am wondering is anyone that is using an msi board and pcalert4 what does the cooler xp link do before i click on it i have temp of 62 degrees celcius, when i click on cooler xp it jumps down to 35 degrees celcius idle. I think 62 is a tad high and there is plenty of as3 and using a cool u2power hs with a 8032mm fan 5400rpm fan and the hs has been lapped and correct? I be confused figures i get another xp proc and my temps are all whacked out or is it just me?

Tweaked!
05-07-2003, 03:30 PM
I've got two different Msi boards currently and both do a pretty decent job of reading temps. I never cared for the pcalert4, I switched back to pcalert3. But what that cooler xp thingy does is it puts everything on an idle state and lower the voltages a little, which in turn brings the temps down some. But on the other hand, using too much as3 could be bad for you, you only want to use enough to fill the microscopic pits and valleys in both metals (chip and hsf) and a little bit extra on the hsf to make a good connection between the two. More or less, paper thin layer.:cool:

Attitudx
05-07-2003, 03:55 PM
ok that is what i have now and the cooler xp thing is it with pcalert3? the voltage is 1.81 and temp is 32 degrees idle

Tweaked!
05-07-2003, 04:48 PM
I don't think so, I haven't seen it in there. I just gave it a quick browse through looking for it and didn't see it. But then again, I don't bank on software to try to cool my pc, mine runs under full load 24/7. So those kinds of proggies wouldn't work for me.

Attitudx
05-07-2003, 07:11 PM
ok i took out the 2000 it has to go back to where it came from i put back the 600 duron, the 2000 was at 71 degrees idle. I promptly shut down (dont worry chip is still good) now with 2 fans blowing in and one exhaust i am running 35degrees with a bigger hsf, it is lapped correctly and the right amount of as. I think it is just this stinking case, i have no idea
no mouse cords or beatings but do you think it could be my psu? a 250w ps running 6 fans total 2 hds, a scsi dvd and cdr? or

is my mobo messing up and just not handling thngs right, dang thing

i am pretty smart on things but this has got me all messed up retarded in a big way, not to mention i am ready to pull a smiz and throw it across the room, hmm maybe that will work

Smizack
05-07-2003, 08:13 PM
I'd chunk that bastard out the back door, shoot it and beat it with a baseball bat.

But that's just my way of dealing with troubleshooting.:D

Attitudx
05-08-2003, 02:15 AM
me too lol someone tell me if this is a good deal

Midtower Case with Window / 300 Watt Power Supply with dual fan
Soyo Dragon Motherboard
AMD XP 2200+ CPU w/ CPU Fan
256 MB DDR Ram
40 GB Harddrive
Floppy
Round IDE Cables
price: 451.50 (that is tax and finance charge) 65.dollar payments biweekly
and a 3 piece speaker system thrown in??
is it a good deal

Tweaked!
05-08-2003, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by Attitudx
me too lol someone tell me if this is a good deal

Midtower Case with Window / 300 Watt Power Supply with dual fan
Soyo Dragon Motherboard
AMD XP 2200+ CPU w/ CPU Fan
256 MB DDR Ram
40 GB Harddrive
Floppy
Round IDE Cables
price: 451.50 (that is tax and finance charge) 65.dollar payments biweekly
and a 3 piece speaker system thrown in??
is it a good deal

Well, I guess this answer would have to depend on what other options you have available to you at the moment. I can understand if you just don't have the funds to buy the individual components, but depending on what brand names the ddr, hdd, and psu are would also have to be in consideration if this is a decent deal. Another thing that comes to mind, No cdrw or cdrom? The Soyo dragon boards weren't bad performers, but it won't get you where the guys in the overclocking forum is getting with the Abit nf7 or the Epox 8rda+ are getting. That's a given, abd I'm under the impression thats not your goal anyways. Need to find out if the 2200 is a palomino or tbred, that will decide if it's a decent overclocker. But for a decent starter compared to what you've been chuggin along on, it's not that bad of a setup. I'm not all that fond of having to make payments on a computer though, been my experience that computers just aren't one of those things that are a financially sound investment item. My luck, I'd blow it up before I was done paying for it. But nevertheless, got to do what you got to do. It's really tough to hang in a place like this and not have a higher end system;) At least with that setup, once you've got it paid off, you could start upgrading individual components one at a time.:cool:

Attitudx
05-08-2003, 03:27 AM
true and i love my msi board but i need to move up to ddr and the only way is to go with this deal plus i have 2 cdrs, and a scsi dvd that i can remove from my other ssytem, my wife dont need both of em so i have what it takes still to make a complete system, and i am not ocing until i get better ram and mobo, basically this is how i have to go but my ocing days, i have already smoked a 1700 and now am gun shy

antipop
05-08-2003, 10:32 AM
What i am wondering is anyone that is using an msi board and pcalert4 what does the cooler xp link do before i click on it i have temp of 62 degrees celcius, when i click on cooler xp it jumps down to 35 degrees celcius idle it's a soft cooler, that just shuts down some part of the cpu that are unused. IMHO It's pointless, because as soon as there's some load, you get the normal temp

Attitudx
05-08-2003, 10:54 AM
yeah ant it hit 71 and i almost toasted another i get gun shy when switching processors cuz of burning up a dang good 1700 tbred. I didnt want to even put the 2000 in but the greedy ghz monster took over and i put her right in, the only thing is that maybe my mobo dont support that high even with a biosflash an msi model ms6330. all i know is that i am about frustrated enough to buy a macintosh LOL

Attitudx
05-09-2003, 04:28 AM
*****update*******
I put back in the 600 duron which is unlocked and running @ 800MHZ

removed the nonfunctional a drive and in its place for now put in a 80mm fan to pull more air in. Eventually i will have two smaller fans in its place, opened up the back of my case and placed a fan in from an all in one computer system that fit perfect to circulate air. Now with the duron down to 32 degrees, as i then wake up this morning to make a cd of electric frankenstien and realize after my format i didnt install nero, dumb me. I think my heat problem is solved for now, but again it is only a duron

antipop
05-09-2003, 07:37 AM
as i then wake up this morning to make a cd of electric frankenstien and realize after my format i didnt install nero, dumb me. ROFL
With better airfolw inside the case you should see a drop in temp with your xp. Just try it

Attitudx
05-09-2003, 10:59 AM
i shall ask smiz if i should try it, cuz i was buying it from him and had it and something changed and he said keep it until i get my board, so um smiz should i tempt the hands of fate or just leave it???? hehe

and mp3.com search for Electric Frankenstein if you like guitar/punk music