PDA

View Full Version : Caprice Heatercore fittings!?!

xxORBxx
05-07-2003, 12:08 PM
I have a 1976 caprice heatercore. It is perfect for 2 120mm fans. The pipes coming out are 5/8" and 3/4" but i need them both to be 1/2" How should i go about getting 1/2" barbs on this thing? I have never welded or soldered or whatever its call. Anyone have any instructions or ideas? Could i take it somwhere and get it fixed up? What kind of place would do this?

For $17 im pleased with it so far :)

Tweaked!
05-07-2003, 01:05 PM
Soldering is really easy, all you have to do is make d*mn sure the two ends you're going to solder together are perfectly cleaned. Use a piece of plumbers cloth and a wire brush (round one designed for cleaning copper pipes) and then use plenty of flux before heating up. Mate the two pieces together (ensuring that the male end fits inside the female end) and when heating it up, watch for the flame to turn a green color on the backend of the pieces. At that point, it's hot enough to accept the solder. If you need to, use some reducers to get it down to the desired size, and if the reducers don't quite fit, you'll have to swedge (spread the flare) the female end till it's big enough to accept the male end:cool:

Major
05-07-2003, 01:46 PM
Any local radiator shop will do it for you, what they charge ?? who knows.

xxORBxx
05-07-2003, 02:50 PM
Tweaked!, that sounds a little to tough for me. A 17 year old kid doesnt have those kind of tools/skills lol. I would do it if someone i knew could teach me a little.

What is a "radiator" shop? I bought it from autozone, and they said they couldnt do it. Who should i be asking? Do you think an auto reapair shop would be better?

Tweaked!
05-07-2003, 03:14 PM
You know, for the cost of what you're looking to get done if you pay someone to do it, plus the cost of the radiator you've already bought, you would be better off returning it to autozone and buying a ready made one online.

Btw, where in Ohio are you? I'm from Cincinnati.:cool:

xxORBxx
05-07-2003, 03:54 PM
well as long as the fittings arnt over 20 bucks, im still saving about 10. If this fails, i will just buy one from JPI.

I live in dayton, acaully kettering but you might not know that. Does Fairmont ring a bell?

Major
05-07-2003, 08:11 PM
I was talking about a radiator repair shop, look in the phone book and give them a call, I would think they would do it on the cheap.

Just currious what pump your going to be using ?? If your pump allows for fittings of 3/4" you could just use the heater core the way it is, and have the 3/4" line going to the input of the pump and strech the hose over the 5/8 on the heater core.

xxORBxx
05-08-2003, 06:47 AM
Either the hydor L30 or an Ehiem. What pumps support 3/4"

Major
05-08-2003, 12:50 PM
The eheim 1250 will come with a 1/2" output and a 5/8" intake, but you can defiently put a 3/4 " on it for the intake.

xxORBxx
05-08-2003, 02:35 PM
I just thought about this, my wb and res and everything else wont be 5/8 or 3/4. Im just gonna try to find someone that can do it.

Tedinde
05-11-2003, 04:23 AM
They'll do it cheap. And it is easy to solder copper, You'll have to put out $20 for the torch, solder and flux @ any hardware store.

I learned to solder when i was 16. Crappy vehicle i bought for $150 kept springing leaks in the radiator. If i wanted to ride, i had to learn to solder!!!

phaestus
05-11-2003, 09:55 AM
I learned to solder on the exact heatercore you have :)

I filled it up with water to avoid the chance that my soldering would mess up any solder points elsewhere in the rad and then just went to town.

xxORBxx
05-11-2003, 11:21 AM
Can you give me some detailed instructions phaestus? I really need some help. Im a total noob to this. Maybe PM me or Email at zant4@woh.rr.com