PDA

View Full Version : Best chipset/platform drivers?

roibm
12-05-2006, 05:18 PM
As the title suggests, what supplier(ie intel, ati, nvidia?) has the best platform drivers overall? So far I've been dissapointed by nvidia, and I'm not sure I want to give the 680i a chance.

Are the drivers from intel better? Or the ones from ATI? I never owned neither of them previously, so help me out guys...

skinnie
12-22-2006, 06:39 AM
you shouldn't care about drivers...at least there is not much ppl choosing some chipset/platform because of the drivers,you should choose because of the performance..
and if you don't like nvidia ones..go to modded ones :) mei's nware for example :)

roibm
12-29-2006, 07:32 PM
Well, there might be plenty who choose based on the performance alone, for me it's 50/50. I got myself an 975x and so far I'm very happy with the drivers and the performance.

I almost always had problems with my exotic sound cards on the AMD platform(pops, sync with the HDD, skips etc. so I don't want to hear about nvidia again). The fix before my upgrade to 2xcores was to disable ACPI in windows, but since windows can't work with 2 cores without ACPI I'm forced to activate it.

So, anyway, the point is, maybe it's not even 50/50, it's more like 75/25 for trouble free sound. Sound is my fetish, just like performance is the major fetish of most of the guys in this forum. Thus far I'm happy with my choice, but I'll have a hard choice once I'll return to AMD(it's just a matter of time, hopefully. this is my first intel desktop ever, for notebooks I didn't really have a chance in the past)