PDA

View Full Version : what is the realistically smallest footprint for a phase cooler?

Speederlander
12-01-2006, 10:03 PM
Curious what people with experience making them thinks is the smallest/most compact realistic footprint for a phase cooler.

epion2985
12-01-2006, 10:20 PM
Just think about it. It all depends on the compressor. Sure you can get a 1/16hp compressor thats pretty small, but that wont cool much.

I guess for a decent system About 20" long, 7" high, 7" wide. As those are average piston compressor specs. Condenser can be fit in that range and thats all there is in a SS DD.

All the size optimization has been done already. maybe you can get a milliliter here or there but don't expect big changes from how it is now unless you figure out how to make a smaller compressor. I guess you can buy a small and powerful compressor but not in our price range. I never seen one but I am sure its possible in theory, its just who is going to mass produce it when it would cost huge amounts of money and having no market for it.

jinu117
12-02-2006, 03:39 AM
7" wide is bit cutting it. You could but 8" inches would be practical limit. Height also minimum requirement is about 8.25".
Length can be as short as 15" or so ... (i think that's how long my v2000 internals are to accomodate zippy 1000w psu etc).
This numbers are all based on typical 1/5-1/3hp range. Now, the size i mentioned is heavy optimization of space with practicality for brazing, insulation and mounting, etc and no consideration for shipping (you do need some space for it).
One thing that might help situation is using different compressor like Gray found while back (horizontal rotary). It might not help much on length but it surely can help on height or width granted some condenser can be found that can efficienctly remove heat of rotary while being compact... I believe one can be made with about fan size with maybe 4 rows or 5 rows... adding to length this time...
It always seems to be trade off... :P

epion2985
12-02-2006, 04:16 AM
7" wide is bit cutting it. You could but 8" inches would be practical limit. Height also minimum requirement is about 8.25".
Length can be as short as 15" or so ... (i think that's how long my v2000 internals are to accomodate zippy 1000w psu etc).

Yeah I was being really conservative since he asked smallest possible. Overshot on the length I guess :)

This numbers are all based on typical 1/5-1/3hp range. Now, the size i mentioned is heavy optimization of space with practicality for brazing, insulation and mounting, etc and no consideration for shipping (you do need some space for it).
One thing that might help situation is using different compressor like Gray found while back (horizontal rotary). It might not help much on length but it surely can help on height or width granted some condenser can be found that can efficienctly remove heat of rotary while being compact... I believe one can be made with about fan size with maybe 4 rows or 5 rows... adding to length this time...
It always seems to be trade off... :P

Then it would a Sausage Phase Change. Big cooling log. maybe you can trademark that. Cooling Log, or Frosty Log.... lol :lol2:

Gray Mole
12-02-2006, 04:33 AM
Heheheh 'Frosty Log'

Isn't that what you get after eating too many ice cubes :D :bounces:

Anyways, that horizontal rotary was one of the smaller ones I've seen, and while the cooling wasn't as good for CPU it wasn't really bad. I'd say with 402a and some tuning about the same as a stock Vapo/Mach GT due to it's smaller power level.

But I WAS thinking about trying it with a horizontal condensor. It seems that a condensor of similar size to the compressor (like a 120.2 rad sizing) above the compressor, you could run the fans down into the compressor. Overall that would put the internals of it around 10" long, 6" wide, 7" tall, and just try to fit the pipework close as possible.

I'd add about 2" to the length for pipework, and maybe another inch to the height for pipework as well. That would put the case size about 12" by 7" by 8" tall.

Would be fairly small for a complete cooler anyway. I noticed the horizontal's like a lot more condensor cooling to account for the heat dump. Normally I don't think of Rotaries putting loads of heat into the system as the refrigerant doesn't really act as much of a coolant unless it's got a liquid injection system.

lol close enough to as big as the 'normal' case anyway, and it's nice to have it match the PC case size anyway.

For THAT, the Vapo LS comes pretty close to as 'small' as you get, in that it's pretty short, only just tall enough to squeeze a NL11F into it :D

Cheers

Gray

epion2985
12-02-2006, 04:38 AM
Heheheh 'Frosty Log'

Isn't that what you get after eating too many ice cubes :D :bounces:

:rofl:

You guys are killing me...

n00b 0f l337
12-02-2006, 06:56 AM
My budgeteer with rotary is 12" long, around 7.5" wide, and probably 10" tall...