PDA

View Full Version : Need a SC, Speakers, and Headphones

Circaflex
11-30-2006, 11:36 PM
Well guys i am upgrading my PC very slowly, and I am looking for a new soundcard and headphones for gaming. I also enjoy watching dvds and listening to music. I heard the xfi arent up to all the hype, what would you guys recommend? What about speakers? Any ideas would be great.

Teratism
12-01-2006, 10:55 AM
For headphones grab a sennheiser set. You haven't told us the config you want with your speakers (2.1, 4.1, 5.1, 7.1) If you want something other than a creative card you can grab an auzentech x-plosion or x-meridian, or go for another Oxygen chip card like the razer barachuda (headphones and sound card).

Circaflex
12-01-2006, 11:44 AM
Im going to go at least 5.1, most likely 7.1. I havent followed creative cards but reading through the posts here they arent THAT great. Id rather stay away from the headphones with build in soundcards.

Teratism
12-01-2006, 12:26 PM
The headphones don't have built in soundcards.

http://www.razerzone.com/Products/Gaming-Audio/Razer-Barracuda-HP1-Gaming-Headphones/
http://www.razerzone.com/Products/Gaming-Audio/Razer-Barracuda-AC1-Gaming-Sound-Card/

I was meaning this set. I would tell you if you did choose a headphone set to go sennheiser they make some of the best in the world.

With 5.1 sets the norm' for computers is the logitech z5500s or the klipsch promedia 5.1s, I think some people also like gigaworks. Depending on which soundcard you get and what you want to do with it narrows or widens your choice. Like if you are hoping to be open to the future and further formats I would say the x-meridian and some HT speakers that connect digital. The z5500s connect digital but have a dac that limits their hz. For analog you can choose any of the cards and any of those speakers will perform admirably. The x-meridian lets you change out opamps to help improve sound if you want on analog also.

Metalkobra
12-01-2006, 06:36 PM
Creative X-fi xtrememusic
logitech Z-5500's
Logitech headset from circuit city or something for 30 bucks or get some sennheisers.

oshox
12-07-2006, 02:50 AM
For headphones, check this deal (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&kw=BEDT880&is=REG&Q=&O=productlist&sku=280696).
Those headphones are typically $200+. I haven't heard anything about that particular site, but the headphones are ones that have been reviewed very well and it looked like a killer deal.
X-Fi Platinum has a $50 mail-in rebate right now, so that makes it an awesome value.
Klipsch Promedia 2.1's are the best speakers I've ever heard, but they aren't surround sound. But since the X-Fi can simulate 9 speakers through your headphones, there's no need to pay a bunch for surround sound speakers.

Circaflex
12-21-2006, 11:38 AM
So I have continued to read reviews and different posts. I can get the Creative X-Fi Elite for 200 from a friend brand new in the box still, but after reading reviews, I still dont know if that is worth it. The x-meridian looks sweet, is there any other super top soundcard out? Between those two, from what I have read, the x-meridian is a better choice is it not? I will use this new PC for gaming and DVDs. Im so torn between the two.

Teratism
12-21-2006, 01:03 PM
Those are the top 2 cards I know of, for mid-range cards there is normal x-fi, the x-plosion, b-enspirer, the razer barracuda sound card, turtle beach montego, chaintech vf-710, audigy 4, audigy 2 zs.

Probably more. The x-meridian has a bunch of extras specifically for headphones from dolby. The elite pro is decent but not the best for watching or playing, they are trying to market it to music creators rather than listeners and it still isn't the best in that field.

For more info on the x-meridian head over to guru3d for a review and in the forums.

frankR
12-21-2006, 04:53 PM
Speakers:
http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-StudioPro-Desktop-Audio-Monitors/dp/B000BN7CRU/sr=8-9/qid=1166748711/ref=pd_bbs_sr_9/102-7008553-4660930?ie=UTF8&s=electronics