PDA

View Full Version : Corsair 6400C4D Promos - What we do, how we do it, and our offer

Redbeard
11-29-2006, 12:02 PM
UPDATE: THREAD CLOSED AS OF JANUARY 10, 2007.

Due to the incredible demand for the Micron-based part, we are out of stock.

Unfortunately, due to the extraordinary demand for these parts, we are currently on backorder, meaning that we do not physically have the TWIN2X2048-8500C5D or any other Micron-based part in stock and will not until mid-to-late January, 2007.

That does not mean I won't be fulfilling orders, though. This program will continue until December 31st.

So here's the new rules:

1) If you haven't taken part in the program at all yet, please email me a copy of your receipt before December 31st, 2006, and if the receipt is dated before 11/29/06, you will be added to a pre-approved list.

2) If you've decided to take advantage of the program and have already emailed me but not sent in your memory, hold onto your memory until January 22nd, and email me again after that.

3) If you've already mailed me your parts, I will take from my very limited inventory in the order I receive modules. Hopefully this will be enough to cover those that have already sent in their memory. If I receive your memory and have no memory to send you, I will contact you directly to work something out.

Again, the program is on hiatus until mid-to-late January, 2007, and if you wish to take part in it at that time, please email me on or after January 22nd, 2007.

In order to be pre-approved for this program, I must receive your e-mail before December 31st, 2006, and your receipt must be dated before 11/29/06.

You do not have to physically send in the modules until we have parts in stock.

But I will need the email and receipt before December 31st.

Please send the receipt in JPG screenshot form, as our internal spam filter has been somewhat overzealous with attachments.

Thanks again.

There has been a lot of confusion and anger about the 6400C4D parts lately. The main point of contention seems to be that the 6400C4D parts are based primarily on Promos ICs and not on the Micron ICs that very early 6400C4 parts were based on. Since a few months ago, the Promos IC has been the primary IC used on all 6400C4 parts, and with the advent of the 6400C4D, Promos was the primary IC used from day 1. There were occasional Micron-based parts, but these were always a downbin for the small percentage of Micron ICs that did not pass our screen for 8500C5 modules. Allow me to address your concerns one by one.

1) Hey, Promos parts suck!

We use Promos 90nm parts in several of our modules. They are specially processed and tested for us by Promos using a custom flow that we have specified. They undergo further testing and screening at our facilities. Our Promos based modules are very reliable and have been tested and characterized in our lab on many different and currently popular enthusiast motherboards. Namely the Asus M2N32-SLI, and the Asus P5B Deluxe. Modules spec’d at 6400C4 using promos have been carefully tested so that they meet these specs on every motherboard we use for testing. In many cases offer very respectable overclocking capabilities when latencies are relaxed and voltage is applied. On many motherboards we have seen speeds over 900 MHz. It is true, however, that in general, Promos based modules will not overclock as well as modules built with Micron rev D parts.

We can’t really comment on modules built with untested or limited tested chips, these may not perform as well as Corsair modules. Obviously, we cannot test every motherboard and configuration but if you have some particular situation where Promos based Corsair modules do not perform to their spec, please contact us. We have always stood behind our lifetime warranty, and have never intentionally shipped a part that did not perform to its rated spec.

2) Hey, Corsair pulled a bait and switch to make extra money!

We would love to be able to build all our modules using the fastest chips in the world, unfortunately that this not only unpractical but would in no way meet the demand we have for DDR2 800 modules.

In general we try to keep building modules with the same ICs all the time. However as a practical matter we have to have two or more sources of die for any modules that we ship in volume.
For the very high speed modules, such as are currently spec’d at 1GHz or more, there is rarely more than one die type that will meet the specs. Generally, these high speed parts appeal to a very elite segment of extreme enthusiasts, and as a result, we have no problems with using a single supplier for these parts.

Micron rev D parts overclock very well and we have put in place some very extensive screening and testing programs to make sure that the modules we ship with Micron are among the best and fastest memory modules in the world.

When we send high-speed parts to reviewers, we are very careful not to change the IC on this part to an IC that doesn’t perform as well or better as this would be an obvious “bait and switch”. This is a practice that is despicable and Corsair has not and will not take part in this type of false advertising.

During the course of this event, Corsair has been accused of intentionally utilizing a bait and switch tactic and using IC revisions to confuse people. We do not use such tactics as they will never survive the scrutiny of the enthusiast crowd, obviously. We rely on our reputation for performance, quality, innovation and customer service to sell our memory. Our IC revisions are dictated by IC supply and demand and are made to enhance availability while also sustaining the required specifications.

It would be nice if we could build all our modules with specially screened Micron chips, unfortunately, this screening is very expensive and time consuming and with the limited availability of Micron ICs, we would end up meeting only a fraction of our demand and thus end up disappointing thousands of customers.

3) I thought all Dominators were Micron based and now I feel ripped off because they are not.

First, Corsair has never stated that all Dominator parts are based on Micron ICs. Second, the Dominator heatsink technology offers many good benefits, both for extreme overclocking as well as for general reliability because it makes the chips run cooler. The Promos ICs respond well to voltage, and whenever voltage increases, heat output increases. The Dominator heatsink technology more effectively cools the ICs on both Promos and Micron-based modules, and this is why it was applied. It was never designed to “trick” people into buying a Promos part.

The high end Dominators, (those spec’d over 1GHz or spec’d at 6400C3) currently use Micron chips.

Dominator modules rated at 6400C4 typically use Promos ICs because they are much more available and less expensive. When designing the 6400C4D, our intention was to address the two main complaints that people had about the Dominator modules. 1) They were too expensive, and 2) They were hard to find. The 6400C4D parts are priced to be competitive in the market, and as such, we are focusing on price point and availability, both of which prevent us from using the Micron ICs on this part. At the moment we are having a tough time keeping up with the demand for even these Promos-based modules, as they are very popular.

5) You should tell us if you change the IC on a module!

We recognize that a small number of our customers want to buy modules based on a specific IC, and we try to be very upfront with what we use on performance modules. Please be aware that most DIY enthusiasts do not buy based on IC, they buy based on the performance spec.

We do recognize that we could do this more effectively, and are working on a new way to improve the way we get make this data available to our ‘professional’ grade customers.

Corsair is willing to make amends with customers that believed they were purchasing Micron-based parts before today. We understand the confusion and would like to make the following offer to anybody who purchased a 6400C4D kit before today.

Corsair will replace your 6400C4Ds with 8500C5Ds, which are Micron based, for the difference in price. To take advantage of this offer, please write me an email with the subject line “6400C4D” and include a copy of your receipt. NOTE: This offer is only valid for people with receipts dated November 28th, 2006 or earlier. Send this email to me at georgem@corsairmemory.com

Again, please be sure to include 6400C4D in the subject line so that your replacement can be processed correctly.

Corsair appreciates your understanding in this matter, and we look forward to serving the enthusiast community in the future by continuing to make the world’s fastest memory. Thank you.

Dumo
11-29-2006, 12:23 PM
Thank you Corsair:toast:

matsuya
11-29-2006, 09:19 PM
How are you replacing it if we have to pay the price difference? It's basically just making us buy the 8500C5D when we had no intention of buying it because of cheaper alternatives.

Revv23
11-29-2006, 09:48 PM
wow that is simply terrific.

Great way to handle things guys.

I have to admit i usually check on ic revisions and such but i too assumed that the C4D modules would all be micron based parts.

Revv23
11-29-2006, 09:52 PM
How are you replacing it if we have to pay the price difference? It's basically just making us buy the 8500C5D when we had no intention of buying it because of cheaper alternatives.

They aren't forcing you to pay for the upgrade, the 8500 is thier most affordable micron part. You did get exactly what you paid for (that is DDR 800 CAS4) and they made it known to the public which IC's were on the ram before you bought it.

So corsiar is trying to excuse people's ignorance by doing the community a favor. Like i said it doesnt cost a penny to keep exactly what you willingly paid for.

matsuya
11-29-2006, 10:02 PM
They aren't forcing you to pay for the upgrade, the 8500 is thier most affordable micron part. You did get exactly what you paid for (that is DDR 800 CAS4) and they made it known to the public which IC's were on the ram before you bought it.

So corsiar is trying to excuse people's ignorance by doing the community a favor. Like i said it doesnt cost a penny to keep exactly what you willingly paid for.
I actually don't have it. If I did I would just return it and get RAM with D9GMH and not have to spend a dime.

Yellowbeard
11-29-2006, 10:04 PM
I actually don't have it. If I did I would just return it and get RAM with D9GMH and not have to spend a dime.
I would like to politely ask that we keep this thread on topic and for those customers who have actually purchased our memory.

matsuya
11-29-2006, 10:10 PM
I would like to politely ask that we keep this thread on topic and for those customers who have actually purchased our memory.
My 3 systems all have Dominators. At the time I was going to go with 6400C4D's because the 8500C5D's were out of stock and I couldn't find it anywhere. I'm glad I waited though. But I did have the assumption from reading the message boards that all Dominators have D9GMH's.

Yellowbeard
11-29-2006, 10:15 PM
Well, this is one case then where I am glad we were out of stock for sure. I I hope you are satisfied with the Dominators you have. Thanks for choosing Corsair!

irev210
11-29-2006, 10:22 PM
for your high-end line, you should put the IC in the part number.

Such as TWINX2-2048MUxxxxx or whatever, take the guess work out of it for us.

Anyway, Im curious how bad crucial upsets you guys. D9GMH for between 240-300 from newegg when they have it on sale.

The Crucial 2x1GB for 285+25MIR was insane.

You guys are doing the right thing. I wish you could go head-to-head with crucial on the D9GMH pricing.

ziddey
11-30-2006, 01:30 AM
for your high-end line, you should put the IC in the part number.

Such as TWINX2-2048MUxxxxx or whatever, take the guess work out of it for us.

Anyway, Im curious how bad crucial upsets you guys. D9GMH for between 240-300 from newegg when they have it on sale.

The Crucial 2x1GB for 285+25MIR was insane.

You guys are doing the right thing. I wish you could go head-to-head with crucial on the D9GMH pricing.
Aye, and the same for the Buffalo Firestix new revision being GMH's. However, Corsair goes through an additional speedbinning at their location to select the D9's. That's to say, the Crucial 10 years were rated 667 I think right? Beyond that, chances are, it's great. But no one's guaranteeing you they'll go to the 800, although that's usually not a sweat, and people want 1000+. The whole big deal with the 6400C4D is that it doesn't travel further than the 800 stock, which upsets people. Come on guys, you got everything you were promised.

Yoxxy
11-30-2006, 09:24 AM
How do you compete with an OEM? That would be the only question I have. Crucial/Micron controls the yields and supply. If they limited the supply enough they could cut the price of Crucial by 1/2 to the competition. There is a reason that Crucial is cheaper. They make the IC's.

DerekT
11-30-2006, 04:25 PM
I have contacted Corsair and requested an exchange with the 8500C5's. I was told to show my invoice which I did.

I then was sent a return slip that allows me to get the 8500C5's. I don't expect them to "GIVE" me 8500C5's for the price of the 6400C4's. I am willing to make this exchange and happily so.

As a newly created member I understand also that some might question who I am. You may find me at Overclock.net as Ropey.

Regards to all,

R

pentium777
12-03-2006, 06:45 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but all the reviews I read on the 6400C4 part were Micron ICs and most people here said they were Micron ICs, I guess the change in rev. caused them to be promos now and we're supposed to accept it. Maybe should have been more homework on my part.

What I'm fumed about though is having 2 sets (4GB) of 6400C4 here which is fine I'll get rid of them but buying 9136 ram supposed to run perfectly and "made for" 680i board, well I am not 100% stable above DDR2-1112 speed and I'm really not happy after paying close to $500 for this stuff.

Yellowbeard
12-03-2006, 07:10 PM
There were no reviews of the 6400 Dominator, we never sent out PC6400C4D for review. "IF" and I stress "IF" you read any 6400C4 Dominator reviews, they were independent reviews initiated several months ago. We did not promote the 6400C4D as a Micron or high end part.

If your 9136D will not meet spec, let me know. Our standard warranty still stands.

icecpu
12-04-2006, 02:07 PM
Oh no..... just bought it two weeks ago and plan to overclock it to ddr2 1000 , now just read this post , should have do more research.

Any way, how do I know my corsair 6400C4D use promos or micron chip , Thanks in advance

Yellowbeard
12-04-2006, 03:08 PM
Have look here at our IC INQUIRY THREAD (http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44365).

Kato
12-12-2006, 11:55 AM
Hi Beards, whats the turn-around time for the exchange? My package arrived at your office yesterday, approx. when will the new ram shipping out from your location? Thanks!

mr_knowitall15
12-14-2006, 08:24 AM
So i emailed the person in link a while ago, he replyed telling me i need to send a copy of my sales receipt, so i sent a copy of my invoice from the egg. That was like a week ago. Monday, i sent it again thinking I may have messed up or something, but still, nothing. Id like to get this show on the road before the offer ends. This stuff doesnt OC worth a crap. Wont even do 900 at 5-5-5-15...

Redbeard
12-14-2006, 09:22 AM
So i emailed the person in link a while ago, he replyed telling me i need to send a copy of my sales receipt, so i sent a copy of my invoice from the egg. That was like a week ago. Monday, i sent it again thinking I may have messed up or something, but still, nothing. Id like to get this show on the road before the offer ends. This stuff doesnt OC worth a crap. Wont even do 900 at 5-5-5-15...

Please send me a PM with your name and information, I've gotten a large number of requests and I'm trying to sort them out. It's possible your email was caught by our over-aggressive spam filter.

Kas
12-15-2006, 02:37 AM
What is max safe voltage for Promos IC`s ?

icecpu
12-15-2006, 02:59 AM
Hi everyone, Yesterday I went straight into the Corsair Production building locate at Fremont to exchange the 6400C4D for 8500C5D in no time . It was an excellent and quick exchange program service overall. Now I got my 8500C5D installed and running. Thanks to Corsair for excellency service to their loyal customer.

Yellowbeard
12-15-2006, 08:52 AM
What is max safe voltage for Promos IC`s ?
XMS QUalification and Testing (http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52348), find it here.

DerekT
12-18-2006, 10:17 PM
Update:

I have just received the 8500C5's for my 6400C4's. These have no problem with the 1000Mhz.

However, I have them running at 800MHz with 3 - 3 - 3 - 10 (2.3V)

Thanks Corsair,

icecpu
12-19-2006, 10:33 AM
Update:

I have just received the 8500C5's for my 6400C4's. These have no problem with the 1000Mhz.

However, I have them running at 800MHz with 3 - 3 - 3 - 10 (2.3V)

Thanks Corsair,

Did you ran memory test for those timming, my can't do 800MHz 3-4-4-9 , 2.4V . It got error when run memtest86

DerekT
12-19-2006, 05:25 PM
Did you ran memory test for those timming, my can't do 800MHz 3-4-4-9 , 2.4V . It got error when run memtest86
This is the thing with hardware. No two sets will be the same. Yes, mine are memtested. My Core2 will not make 3.2GHz without 1.39v and 3.4Ghz with 1.52v. Some are getting far better results with the same L629A than I get. I test with www.memtest.org (Memtest86+)

Such is the life of the enthusiast.

kosmonova
12-21-2006, 02:14 PM
Hi;

I bought a "Corsair DHX XMS2 Dominator Dual Channel 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800Mhz Memory" from Tigerdirect.com 2 days ago, But I'm confused with ram chips , Which chips used this modules ? Micron or Promos, How can I know ? Can you give me information about the modules

Thank you,

DerekT
12-21-2006, 02:44 PM
Here is the link for you to make such a request.

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44365

D

Atrin
12-28-2006, 08:51 AM
this is very bad ! now i have 6400C4D with promos chip!

i dont like corsair anymore.. & i will never NEVER NEVER buy a corsair product :upset: :upset: :brick:

Yellowbeard
12-28-2006, 09:01 AM
this is very bad ! now i have 6400C4D with promos chip!

i dont like corsair anymore.. & i will never NEVER NEVER buy a corsair product :upset: :upset: :brick:
Why is that, does the memory not work to specifications? If you are having issues, let us know.

Atrin
12-30-2006, 12:05 PM
rams will work as they are required but it's known that they are not as overclock as micron D9 chips. I bought these rams because I thought they were Micron D9, Corsair at least should have told me while they were selling them to me. PROMOS isn't the best chip for Overclock I bought those rams to make overclock Corsair's fault was not to warn us.

ex: Corsair Dominator 2x1GB DDR2 800Mhz PC6400 C4DP

perry_78
12-31-2006, 06:24 AM
rams will work as they are required but it's known that they are not as overclock as micron D9 chips. I bought these rams because I thought they were Micron D9, Corsair at least should have told me while they were selling them to me. PROMOS isn't the best chip for Overclock I bought those rams to make overclock Corsair's fault was not to warn us.

ex: Corsair Dominator 2x1GB DDR2 800Mhz PC6400 C4DP

Well, in all due respect, the Corsair reps. SPECIFICALLY posted the IC status ON THIS VERY FORUM. You might be tempted to go a little more in depth in such matters in the future :p:

Otherwise, it's nice of Corsair to initiate such an "exchange" program.

Atrin
12-31-2006, 07:00 AM
I don't have to read the forum besides I have just registered. A lot of people read other forums just like me. Exchange program is a nice thing but it was for the ones who bought it before the 28th november 2006, i bought it later on. I don't agree that Corsair is right, I'm still think that Corsair should have warned us. Nobody has to read the forums :nono:

perry_78
12-31-2006, 07:15 AM
And likewise, corsair doesn't guarantee anything other than stock performance. You did get exactly what you paid for, the information about the 6400C4D was made public over a month ago, all you had to do was find the information.

OC is always a gamble, my own 3200ll v1.1 didn't OC for crap, RMA (one stick was bad), and the 1.2's I got back were much better.

Atrin
12-31-2006, 08:10 AM
overclock is a gamble I accept that but I bought those rams because I knew they were using micron d9, yet I didn't run into an information in regards to. After I bought I had registered to XtremeSystems and found out. Corsair at least could coded as if in the example PC6400C4DP

As to me, "extreme" rams are bought for overclock. If I had to spend that much just to use default I would buy Kingston or Twinmos

mr_knowitall15
01-04-2007, 10:34 AM
Please send me a PM with your name and information, I've gotten a large number of requests and I'm trying to sort them out. It's possible your email was caught by our over-aggressive spam filter.
you gotta PM :toast:

larsdidriksen
01-05-2007, 01:44 PM
Why is that, does the memory not work to specifications? If you are having issues, let us know.

And likewise, corsair doesn't guarantee anything other than stock performance. You did get exactly what you paid for, the information about the 6400C4D was made public over a month ago, all you had to do was find the information.
Despite being true, I, personaly, have come to expect more from brands like corsair, then "just" living up to the rated specs. Thing is, if its a matter of; "you get what you pay for" "they live up to specs" etc. i would just get some value ram that will do 800Mhz at C4, but not a single Mhz more. I mean this is why i pay 30% to 50% extra for the leading brands like corsair.

But who cares anymore, wait till the Micron chips are in stock again, or get a competing brand. Here is a list of Ram using Micron chips:http://ramlist.ath.cx/ddr2/

I wish someone would just test these new Promos Ram against Micron, or any other Ram in the price range. Or just print a big lable on the box saying: "This might not be the test winning Ram, you read about" and be done with it.

I do find the return policy, a positive step from corsair, and I do think the service on the forums is great. especially Yellowbeard and Ramguy seem to have there hands full. I doubt Corsair will ever do this swaping of the chips thing again, without prober notice, since the man power alone must have cost them a bundle. So for my part i can say corsair has not lost me as a costumer, but i will be looking more closely at what i get from them in the future.

Yellowbeard
01-05-2007, 01:50 PM
I thought we clarified all of this at the THG forum?:confused:

larsdidriksen
01-06-2007, 03:11 AM
we did. Like i said
But who cares anymore, wait till the Micron chips are in stock again,

JohntechUSA
01-07-2007, 06:45 PM
I doubt that Micron IC's will ever meet the currant demand. As more DDR2 systems come on line the production will have to be increased and it’s not clear if Micron has done that. Like Corsair and many other module makes have also switched a while back to other IC's they had to. And Corsair is one of the few who will tell you what IC they use, look in the IC Inquiry Thread (http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44365) posted on Corsair's own forum.

railmeat
01-08-2007, 10:40 PM
are these d9,s?the real deal?..pm me please if not to much trouble with details if there not.i dont wanna say there d9,s if there really not, thank you

CM2X1024-6400C4Pro XMS6404v1.3 0630250-2 = Micron 64Mx8 667 CL5 Rev D

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j11/bf2nut/lilbright.jpg

CM2X1024-6400C4Pro XMS6404v1.3 0630250-2 = Micron 64Mx8 667 CL5 Rev D

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j11/bf2nut/bf2nut.jpg

http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27615

Yellowbeard
01-10-2007, 01:38 PM
This thread has run its course and is now closed.