PDA

View Full Version : How to build a Chiller

NorthernYankee
06-21-2002, 01:22 PM
Ok guys I have been searching the net for a good how-to and have even tried contacting some people that have them.

I am in the process of looking for a Fridge or an Window A/C to build this.

First off which would be better the Fridge or the A/C?

Second are there any good sites with some instructions on constructing a unit, or can someone here give some pointers.

As I know there have to be others that have these same questions.

For a reference I will be using this chiller to cool the water before its hits my XP2000+ which is currently at 1.98ghz and my 226w pelt.

Thanks in advance for any help guys.

--NY

AKRedneck
06-21-2002, 06:31 PM
You may want to check out www.grainger.com

Under hvac/refrigeration/condensing units. These units are relatively pricey but come complete with everything except your reservoir and evaporator tubing.. A fridge is ok if you can find a descent compressor (>1/4 hp) and you have a large condenser that will stay cool. Of course, the fridge will certainly be alot cheaper.. I'm not really very familiar with the window a/c units since I rarely see one..(here in alaska)..

As far as i can tell it will be relatively simple to complete a chiller if you can find the compressor and condensor like those that grainger offers.

The basic steps to have an operational chiller would be

1. Connect capillary tubing (expansion valve/very small diameter tubing) to the discharge of the condensor.
2. Connect evaporator tubing between capillary tubing and suction side of compressor (coil of larger dia tubing to be placed in reservoir)..
3. Evacuate and charge the system.
4. Chill water and OC like a madman.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with the system but that's my basic breakdown of it... I'd have to pull out some info that i'd found on the 'net for some more 'technical' info on sizing capillary tubing, etc... Hope this helps.. Now my only dilemna is whether to put together a crude semi-cold unit from an old fridge or spend the big bugs and go for the real chill using an R404 condensing unit.. hmmmm :p

killersushi
06-23-2002, 06:57 AM
Which part of it goes in the water to cool it? That I wonder.

AndrOvr
06-23-2002, 07:13 AM
the evaporator...

killersushi
06-23-2002, 07:20 AM
There are different types of evaporators right? Is this an item you can just buy or is it simply the the part of the tubing where evaporation happens? Looks like a coil sort of thing in your water.

MrIcee
06-25-2002, 08:13 AM
Northern Yankee:)

Check out this link....it has it all Thermal Acceleration (http://www.wizard.com/~scfoster/) Down on the left side are some links..in particular is phase change basics, thats an excellent starting point:)

Randi :D

NorthernYankee
06-25-2002, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the link MrIcee, I should be getting a fridge on Friday so I will be staring this project this weekend.

--NY

Coji
06-29-2002, 04:45 PM
As far as a how-to guide goes, the following link should be of help. http://3rotor.dns2go.com/images/FAQ/CC_Conversion/main_01.html.

C.

-Rogue5-
06-30-2002, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by AndrOvr
the evaporator...

You can use any old thing...notice the rust all over this guys compressor! Thats a sign that its good ; )

Seriously though, in my experienced used compressors run as good, if not better, then a brand new ones.....plus the cost is next to nothing, which is good for those with less bling bling to throw around.

-Rogue5-