PDA

View Full Version : Water cooling saftey

pie_uk
11-27-2006, 01:50 PM
hey people, i am after some advice. basically i am selling my 939 system to a mate and with the money i shall be buying conroe bits and pieces

so... i also have water cooling

* DDC plus res top
* dual BIX rad (stealth)
* DD DTX uni
* EK X1900 block

and so i am wondering, is it worth using this kit on my new stuff? i have never water cooled and i assume that as long as i leak test it nothing can go wrong ?

what i am thinking is to sell all this and buy myself a scythe ninja cooler which have been getting alot of hype recently. or the tuniq tower

what is a good route to take ?

thanks for reading

otogrim
11-29-2006, 11:23 PM
I like going water...but that's just me. I'de keep it since it should still be usable in ur new rig.

septim
11-30-2006, 06:58 AM
hmm figure out if your going to water cool again or just straigh high end air cooling first...

well the EK x1900 is usefull if you have the partner card for it and not upgrade to newer card.

ddc plus is good, i would suggest ditching the res top and just use plain plexitop or Petra's ddc top.

the BIX rad is good with higher CFM fans and more DBs too.

the DD TDX is simple design block but it works, if this fits newer cpu/mobo then can use again no problems.

Fameless
11-30-2006, 07:55 AM
If you're worried about using second hand water cooling parts, don't sweat it. Many members here that water cool have one or two second hand blocks, rads, pumps etc. Before you install anything, visually inspect everything for damage. And always leak test after installing any water cooled system.

Buying used water cooling gear can be very cost effective. Before you buy anything from a forum member, ask for pictures of what they're selling, and check into their standing, or feedback, ie heatware...

acrobuddy
11-30-2006, 07:56 AM
stick with the water cooling, otherwise you'd need to get a ninja, seems tuniq has gone out of stock basically everywhere, water is the way to go, but costs more!

IanY
11-30-2006, 08:09 AM
Water cooling is perfectly safe if (1) you know what you are doing, (2) you know what you are trying to achieve, (3) you know your own skill limitations (4) you take your time and are methodical, and (5) you are meticulous and not careless.

Its like driving a car or flying a plane. Can be perfectly safe. Can also be a death wish.

Most disasters are related to "I didn't know I had to use the O ring... I forgot the O ring" , "I really really tightened the barbs" , " I modified my pump and I don't know why its leaking" , "I decided that clamps are not necessary" , or "I didn't bother to test and I fired up my system and now my mobo is dead".

pie_uk
11-30-2006, 10:08 AM
right kool, thanks for all the replies. i shall "deffinatly" be water cooling my new gear , just cant beat it !"!!

should i get a seperate res then? whats wrong with the res top on my DDC ?