PDA

View Full Version : Batch File Equivalent?

NickS
11-25-2006, 08:54 PM
Hey guys, I'm dabbling with linux and catching on fairly fast. I installed it on my 8 year old laptop (instead of running XP Home :rofl:)

So anyway, I've successfully installed DSL to my HDD, configured ndiswrapper, and installed a few programs. I can't figure out how to have ndiswrapper launch at boot, and quite frankly I don't want to because I don't want to screw anything up.

So, what I'd like to do is make a batch file (shell file?) to do the following, when I double click it.

xset s 0
depmod -a
modprobe ndiswrapper
iwconfig wlan0 essid leethome
iwconfig wlan0 mode Managed
iwconfig wlan0 key open mywepkey

Could someone make me a linux batch type file to do that?

Thanks for all your help,
Nick

uOpt
11-25-2006, 08:56 PM
You put it into a text file and set execute permissions on it.

chmod a+x myscript

For added spice you add
#! /bin/sh
as the first line.

If you want you can place it somewhere in your $PATH or (recommended) you can put a dir in your homedir where you put all your scripts and that you put into $PATH.

NickS
11-25-2006, 08:58 PM
Wait, huh? That went right over my head. Do you have AIM or MSNM? Cause I really need help..

uOpt
11-25-2006, 09:08 PM
You can set the execute permissions in the filemanager in file properties, too.

NickS
11-25-2006, 09:11 PM
Can you tell me what to put where? :(

See Attachment :)

uOpt
11-25-2006, 09:38 PM
Exec, all of them.

And don't call it .bin, it is not a binary file at all. Give it no extension (doesn't matter for it to work, though).

NickS
11-25-2006, 09:46 PM
We got errors, :(

uOpt
11-25-2006, 09:51 PM
Well, this script needs to execute as superuser. You can't just click it from a non-root account.

Do you have a strategy how you want to control root access on the box?

I'm probably out for tonight.

NickS
11-25-2006, 09:53 PM
Um, whatcha mean by a strategy? Why can't linux make this simple :( lol

EDIT: Launched emelFM as a super user and executed the script. It worked, but it said SET failed on device wlan0; no such device.

How can that be?

Fr3ak
11-26-2006, 01:05 AM
Did you already configure your wlan card and are you sure the right drivers are loaded?
What does "ifconfig" output when you type it in the console?

asmodean
11-26-2006, 04:08 AM
there is a pretty good wlan tool called network-manager for both gnome and kde. Also, can't you just load the module from /etc/modules.conf or smth?

NickS
11-26-2006, 08:22 AM
The card works once I do all that. Works great.

Anyway, when I type in ifconfig, heres what appears.

http://www.nickfire.com/public/ifconfig1.jpg

The batch semi-works anyway. It starts up my wlan card, but setting the settings comes up as SET failed on device wlan0 for some reason. I can enter in the settings by hand though.

Heres iwconfig after I get the net up.

http://www.nickfire.com/public/ifconfig2.jpg

NickS
11-26-2006, 08:33 AM
Wow ok I got it to work by right clicking it and clicking execute in xterm, but I had to do it twice because it went to fast. Is there like something I can type to make it pause for a second or two?

EDIT: also is there any way to create a shortcut to my desktop? Like maybe a second shortcut to aterminal with a command line in it to tell it to exec the batch?

uOpt
11-26-2006, 10:07 AM
You really want to use a root commandline (xterm etc.) to debug this script first.