PDA

View Full Version : What are the best 5.1's? Z5500's? Klipsch 5.1's? any thing else?

Daveb2012
11-24-2006, 07:54 PM
Im in the market for the best sound I can get for computer speakers. based off reviews I have narrowed it down between Klipsch promedia 5.1's and Logitech Z-5500's, is there any else I should be considering, thanks for any input.

Teratism
11-25-2006, 12:08 AM
The Klipch's are probably the best analogue sounding speakers you will find for a PC before going into the HT arean, for digital go to the Logitech Z5500's. There are also the Gigawork speakers which have good praises.

Metalkobra
12-01-2006, 06:38 PM
Z5500's I own them and love em, I hear that the klipch 5.1s magnet likes to get really hot and burn out. ive never had probs with my 5500s

Teratism
12-01-2006, 07:15 PM
Klipsch's do die but they say it is a less than 1% rate of failure.

Dumo
12-01-2006, 07:33 PM
I got one of the first batch 5.1 and it took 3 RMAs to finally get the perfect power amplifier.

Metalkobra
12-01-2006, 09:07 PM
lol that sucks...but was it worth it? ive never heard the klipsch stuff before.

BlaqMale
12-01-2006, 09:34 PM
my vote would be the z5500s mine should be hear later this month
anybody got the z5450s?

rick_fx
12-01-2006, 10:06 PM
Personally, having listened to both the z-5500 and Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1, I prefer the Klipsch. :)

I have never noticed any sound distortion with the Klipsch, even when the volume is maxed out. Not the case with the z-5500's. Higher volume levels lack the sound "detail" of the Klipsch.

Unless you really want digital, I suggest you go with the Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1. Just my :2cents: of input :)

JoeBar
12-03-2006, 02:11 PM
Z-5500 ftw! :up:

biggie135
12-03-2006, 04:27 PM
Klipsch get's my vote I'v had a pair of Promedia 5.1's for a few years now and they still sound great for movies, games, and music.

Daveb2012
12-03-2006, 10:54 PM
what is the deal with digital sound on the logitechs, and analog on the klipsch, where/when am I going to notice this?

Metalkobra
12-03-2006, 11:20 PM
what is the deal with digital sound on the logitechs, and analog on the klipsch, where/when am I going to notice this?

well digital sound is just more robust IMO, it sounds a lot better than analog, but its also better to use for home theaters, just a whole bunch of uses for it.

Lestat
12-03-2006, 11:30 PM
im sorry but since when were the Klipsch analog only.
they have digital inputs on the control module.

and speakers aint everything. if all your going to do is use onboard sound you might as well buy some cheap speakers to do along with the cheap onboard sound.

with 5.1 you need a minimum Audigy 2 card.
i recommend an Audigy 2 ZS which can easily be had around various forums for as little as 35 bucks.
or one of the insanely awesome M-Audio professional cards. they smoke the ZA and even the X-Fi in certain areas.
the M-Audio was really designed for music and music production but work find and dandy under games.

i have a set of the Z5300's those are analog only but they are THZ certified 5.1 and have Bass for days. way more bass than i can use in my apartment. lol. and they are loud as hell.

Klipsch all the way. they fixed the dieing amp issues long ago. its jsut that there are way too many of the original versions still floating around but klipsch will and still does RMA the units for blown amps.

Metalkobra
12-03-2006, 11:33 PM
smokes which X-fi? all of them? if so thats a shocker...and i want one now, damn it you just had to say that lol.

Modzilla
12-04-2006, 06:47 AM
I have an audigy 2 with the Logitech 5300's, and I am very satisfied with the 5.1 output. very nice.

Teratism
12-04-2006, 09:45 AM
Lestat: http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/promedia-ultra-5-1.aspx
They say the inputs are analog. No mention of digital at all.

Most newer cards can drown the X-fi's. Creative really only has EAX going for it, most other cards catered to the enthusiast are much better in all other areas. Creative won't license out anything higher than EAX 2.0 so their monopoly keeps the gamers on their side. People who care more for music and sound reproduction, up sampling etc and being able to actually configure their card to their specs will choose something different. The loss of EAX isn't really noticeable especially since most games will be moving towards the openal platform for vista.

lookmomnobrains
12-04-2006, 10:14 AM
id say plug your optic output (if you have any on your sound card) to a receiver and get some good speakers insted of them small computer speakers..

Teratism
12-04-2006, 10:29 AM
I would agree, but how much more will that cost? a 5.1 to 7.1 HT with receiver easily outcosts a PC speaker setup.

lookmomnobrains
12-04-2006, 10:59 AM
I would agree, but how much more will that cost? a 5.1 to 7.1 HT with receiver easily outcosts a PC speaker setup.

somting like $500 will get you a set of speakers+ 6x 100 watt receiver... some less if you wane go realy low end.. some more.. if you wane get realy high end lol

its some more then a 5.1 speakers set but also do alot more whit it and also i think the sound woud be bedder.. :D

BlaqMale
12-04-2006, 01:18 PM
don't forget the creative thx stuff, the gigaworks 7.1 whatever the model number is s750 i think

jt710
12-04-2006, 01:43 PM
I prefer Logitech to Klipsch but if you want something else I can get you a really nice deal on the Matrix MX-605T (http://matrixaudioconcepts.com/online/product_info.php?cPath=3&products_id=29). I have it myself and it works amazing. It's a 1000 Watt, 5.1 surround sound system. It retails for $1800-2600 ($2,599 MSRP)- but I could get it to you for less than $600. I could do it through ebay if you wanted as welll, just let me know.

hopper
12-04-2006, 07:15 PM
i have the Klipsch its been good to me since they came out a few years ago also i have 2 klipsch sws subs chained to the klipsch dual 10in ultra sub that i switch on for the good games

i have seen personally (on the klipsch fourm) people that have had the system die they got it replaced for free sometimes even out of warranty and free upgrades

Jodiuh
12-15-2006, 05:13 PM
If you must do surround speakers for your gaming rig, I'd go w/ a reciever and some bookshelf speaks. Perhaps an Onkyo reciever and some Polks from CC.

12-16-2006, 10:51 AM
well digital sound is just more robust IMO, it sounds a lot better than analog, but its also better to use for home theaters, just a whole bunch of uses for it.
LOL... "digital sound" :slap:

The Klipschs are the superior speakers. The "digital" input on the Z5500s means NOTHING. It is just there as another feature for Logitech to advertise so many unknowing consumers will buy into it, and the ploy worked rather nicely.

Here is what it does. A digital signal can not be played back as sound. It must first be converted to Analog. Normally, our sound card does this with it's onboard DAC (digital to analog converter). DACs vary in quality as digital can not be perfectly converted to analog.

The Z5500 simply has it's own DAC inside, so you can feed it a digital signal which will be converted to analog by the dac in the speakers rather than the sound card. The DAC in the Z5500s is crap, and was just put there so logitech could use the word "DIGITAL" in their advertising. The DAC on a good quality sound card will be much better than the one in the speakers. And it shows that most people don't know how to tell which sounds better, so they assume digital does, because it's DIGITAL.

Teratism
12-16-2006, 06:51 PM
003 is right, for the logitechs going digital isn't that great a choice since their opamps sound better than it. The Auzentech and other C-media cards feature digital but from most reports even with a supreme digital card the analog is still a whole lot better.

Only other option to go digital is less cables.

BobMaximus
12-16-2006, 06:57 PM
Definitely the Klipschs, they're amazing

en4cer
12-17-2006, 09:56 PM
I vote for Klipsch too..

I've had the Ultra 5.1's for over a year and the sound they put out is jaw dropping at all volumes. Just buy a set and don't look back :D

Prelector
12-19-2006, 01:22 PM
003 is right, for the logitechs going digital isn't that great a choice since their opamps sound better than it. The Auzentech and other C-media cards feature digital but from most reports even with a supreme digital card the analog is still a whole lot better.

Only other option to go digital is less cables.

The biggest reason to go digital, is so you can bring in multiple sources, such as your Xbox 360/DVR/DVD, in addition to your computer, allowing you to leverage those $300 speakers into a gaming room sound system.

Just about EVERY digital speaker system on the market today has multiple inputs, for both digital and analog (except for the creative crap, which only uses 2channel analog connections). This lets you connect your PC up via 6channel analog for superior sound quality, and still bring in your Console/DVD player via digital for DTS/DD for IT'S optimal sound quality.

hifiking
12-19-2006, 02:20 PM
SVS.com

Daveb2012
01-13-2007, 02:05 PM
SVS.com

what about it

OkydOky
01-13-2007, 02:21 PM
Klipch.

I have their 2.1 Speakers.. And they are simply: God like.

Teratism
01-14-2007, 01:52 AM
I picked up the klipsch with my new build also and they are fantastic, I can't even turn them up more than a quarter of the way on the dial or in the computer control volume panel without being super loud. May be how my sound card registers it but everything is clear and crisp, things you never heard in the songs before etc.

jikdoc
01-24-2007, 08:25 PM
i've got an interesting perspective on the klispch vs. logitech scenario.

i originally had a klispch promedia 5.1, after 2 years, the amp blew out as they are known to do. costs $80 + shipping to get the amp fixed. it's a rather common problem with the klipsch and for that price you get amazing sound.

lately, i don't have the free time or the desire to deal with shoddy workmanship and didn't feel like sending the amp back or getting another set of klispch so i went with the logitech 5500s....

BUT, they're all out of stock. found a really good deal on the 5450s which are basically 5500s with a less powerful sub and with wireless rear speakers. they sound fine, but not quite as good as the klipsch, the main difference being the clarity in the midrange and the tweeter.

honestly, if i had bought the 5450s first, i would've been completely satisfied, but i didn't. i decided to hook up the klispch front satellites (the wireless rears are soooo convenient) to the logitech amp and voila. they sound PERFECT. the crossover freq on the logitech's are 150Hz and the klispch are 140Hz.

btw, thanks to mdzcpa on his advice regarding the logitech/klipsch situation.

so anyone in my previous situation, dead klispch no desire to get another set of speakers that are almost guaranteed to die after a few years, this is a great solution.

gr8golf
01-25-2007, 10:56 AM
Can anyone even find a retailer selling the Klipsch Ultra 5.1's anymore? They seem to have dropped off the face of the earth.

UPDATE! I just called them to see why they weren't even available on their webstore and they said that they were discontinued. They have a new version coming out in April (look for it in Oct.) that has a completely redesigned wireless speaker setup. HELLOOOO! :woot:

I'll set aside the $450 they expect them to retail for.