PDA

View Full Version : So who got a PS3 and whats your thoughts thus far

Lestat
11-20-2006, 11:39 AM
figured i'd start a "Post your PS3 Thoughts" thread.

so if you got one, and ONLY if you got one let us know what you think of it.
I'm most interested as many of us are, if you have a 360 how does it compare?

i also see Fedora Core 5 is up and running on the PS3 too. woot!

1 major issue i see already is the reviews im seeing of the launch titles, i am seeing some pretty bad reviews with some chiming it at 5/10 for scores.
And you can't sell a system by just rehashing old games. i mean let ridge racer die for pete's sake. the game quit being any fun long time ago.

the only ones that got decent marks were the sports titles, i mean come on, sport titles quit evolving back in the Dreamcast days lol.
Resistance got good marks though.

i am extremely isturbed at the scores for graphics, sure its new, ok fine but they could have wow'd people with the launch titles but they chose to release what appear to be pretty mediocre games.
but i dont own it and review sites can be pretty harsh sometimes.

so post your thoughts on the console, the games and overall view of that $600 machine you havein front of you.

ZX7891
11-20-2006, 02:30 PM
friend got one, in 1080p the 360 looks by far better, ps3 is overrated

ZX7891
11-20-2006, 02:34 PM
not to mention the $50 we had to spend extra to get the HD cables

Soulburner
11-20-2006, 03:29 PM
friend got one, in 1080p the 360 looks by far better, ps3 is overrated
Xbox 360 cannot do 1080p. It can do a max of 720p, or 1080i. When you are playing on a large screen, the resolution increase is going to make a big difference.

Just wait for the real games to come next year if you want to see the good stuff...its a bit to early to draw that kind of conclusion.

Lestat
11-20-2006, 03:49 PM
you didnt understand what he said.

he said even at 1080p the xbox360 looks better.

in other words the 360 is still better.

again i started this for those who have it, or if you have a friend who has one and you have personally seen it in action.

i could careless about peoples opinions about what they dont own or havent seen.

Soulburner
11-20-2006, 04:21 PM
I'm not taking sides here, but I have to ask.

What are you comparing? Let me guess, 2 different games? Do you trust hardware reviews that compare apples to oranges also? Of course not.

Again, wait until the good stuff comes. Unfortunately that will be next year, which is why its pointless to "try" and get one now.

eXceeded
11-20-2006, 04:30 PM
To what Soulburner said, the 360 can do 1080p but not in games... just to clear that up. From what I have heard from people on forums and a friend on IM, they have been happy with some games but they have noticed that the graphics aren't upto standards with the 360 as of yet, from what I have read the graphics at launch are not even as good as those from the 360 at launch.
My own opinion
But to be honest how can developers make a good game for a console that they didn't have until around 4-5months before it was released? :S... and I firmly believe that the PS3 isn't about graphics it's about the processing power (hence the 8 odd "SPE's"), I don't ever expect the PS3 to have lots of graphics horsepower its comparable to the 7900GTX with mobile clocks and less ram, whilst the 360 has what is comparable to the R600 at X1800T speeds and more ram than the PS3 which means to me that the 360 can display more and have higher rez with more aa/af but lacks in some of the basic stuff that the nvidia variant can produce. IF they really wanted graphics that would own the 360 they would have delayed the console further or at least got in bed with nvidia to share the 8800 project, now that would make a kick ass console graphics card! But as I see it lets not talk about graphics because the PS3 doesn't perform in that area, its more of a multi function platform which allows, suprisingly, a lot of free reign stuff to occur (a variant of Linux, browsing, bluray - even if the quality isn't as good as HD-dvd its better than DVD..., etc)

Soulburner
11-20-2006, 05:40 PM
bluray - even if the quality isn't as good as HD-dvd its better than DVD..., etc)
Not sure if you are implying there is a quality difference between the two formats, but just to clear it up - there isn't. There is the simple difference of an HD-DVD disc maxing out around 30gb and a Blu-Ray disc maxing out around 50gb of storage.

eXceeded
11-21-2006, 01:21 AM
no i didn't mean teh quality of the format, it's the quality of the codec that i was referring to...

Lestat
11-21-2006, 05:51 AM
hey Soulburner, i expected better out of a Mod.

just close this thread. i said it twice now and you guys ignore it.

this thread was for those who have the system and what they think of it.

not a pissing match about hd dvd or whatever.

so far one guy who has seen it in action at his friends has said so far 1080p on the ps3 isnt as good as 1080i on the 360. but that can be entirely game dependant too.

but this subject was illfated fromt he start, i should have known better than to start it.
just close it and delete it would you.

thenrz
11-21-2006, 05:57 AM
I saw it at best buy....I can tell you that the graphics are amazing, but from what I could tell, it could take time before they can get their act cleaned up enough to really take advantage of 1080p. the 360 seemed to be a little better, then again, i've played a ps3 once, and a 360 at least a dozen times.

Dave_Sz
11-21-2006, 10:37 AM
my thoughts, thank god for craigslist cause ebay sucks if you wanna sell your system(s)....

ZX7891
11-21-2006, 04:58 PM
Ok, to clear it up it was NFS carbon on both systems, we're not stupid

afireinside
11-21-2006, 05:58 PM
I saw some offroad racing game on ps3 @ bestbuy running 720p, graphics were very unimpressive and the frame rate looked to be about 20 fps max.

Dave_Sz
11-22-2006, 02:42 PM
funny, that same off road racing game, gave me a hard on for the ps3..........

[XC] MarioMaster
11-22-2006, 03:55 PM
watched a kid at EBgames play it for a while, graphics are pretty good, worth $600? don't think so

ZX7891
11-23-2006, 07:16 AM
funny, that same off road racing game, gave me a hard on for the ps3..........

lemme guess, you play all your games at 20fps? the game made me sick that sony would crank up settings that high just to show off graphics when fps was getting raped hardcore

DTU_XaVier
11-23-2006, 07:48 AM
I've seen the off-road-racing thing too, and it looked pretty smooth to me, even though the details were quite nice.. Guess it's a matter of personal taste :)

Best Regards :toast:

billdavis
11-23-2006, 09:19 AM
my wife and i got 2 ps3`s and 4 Wii`s

to sell on e-bay

so i could get the pcp&c 1kw-sr and 2 8800gtx`s
________
Nevada Dispensaries (http://nevada.dispensaries.org/)

eXceeded
11-23-2006, 11:06 AM

to sell on e-bay

lol, love it...

Lestat
11-25-2006, 12:29 AM

to sell on e-bay

so you purchased those, so now some kid or whatever isnt going to have one.
then you exceeded the need to be greedy and posted them on eGay to feed the bullsh|t that goes on there so you can sell it for 2-3 times its worth.

wow, feel proud when you look at yourself.

there is such a thing as karma ... what comes around goes around. :slapass:

Soulburner
11-25-2006, 03:00 AM
so you purchased those, so now some kid or whatever isnt going to have one.
then you exceeded the need to be greedy and posted them on eGay to feed the bullsh|t that goes on there so you can sell it for 2-3 times its worth.

wow, feel proud when you look at yourself.

there is such a thing as karma ... what comes around goes around. :slapass:
This is no different than buying and selling anything else. Cars, Trucks, Real Estate, Stocks, its all a buy and sell game. It is part of this world's economy. Don't like it? Tough, theres not much you can do about it. Not much reason to get worked up over a piece of electronic hardware.

squilliam
11-25-2006, 07:05 AM
This is no different than buying and selling anything else. Cars, Trucks, Real Estate, Stocks, its all a buy and sell game. It is part of this world's economy. Don't like it? Tough, theres not much you can do about it. Not much reason to get worked up over a piece of electronic hardware.

As much as I hate to say it, he is right

Dave_Sz
11-25-2006, 09:26 AM
lemme guess, you play all your games at 20fps? the game made me sick that sony would crank up settings that high just to show off graphics when fps was getting raped hardcore

yeah, that must be it, I'm so retarded that 20fps looks like 60fps to me. The demo in the store had lag during the countdown at the beginning of the race, that is it. At home, that problem doesn't exist.

Dave_Sz
11-25-2006, 09:28 AM

to sell on e-bay

ps3s are $900 on ebay, wii shouldn't be more than $250 since you can walk into a store and just buy them. Hell, walk into best buy thursday morning and pick up a ps3...

[XC] MarioMaster
11-25-2006, 02:20 PM
most stores around here are sold out of Wii's as far as i know, it's pretty hard to get one atm

SlyMaelstrom
11-25-2006, 06:03 PM
As much as I hate to say it, he is rightHow is he right? The original comment is what was right. $600 is already too much for most parents to buy for their kids Christmas presents and not the mother of four that was probably 2 people behind the last sold unit who waited on line all day is going to have to explain to her 10 year old that she couldn't get the present he/she wanted because some guy had to resell on Ebay so he could get 200 extra Watts that he won't use for a year and a half.

I'd hate to break it to you, Soulburner, buddy... but Ebay has nothing to do with the economics. In fact, internet sales go against pretty much everything that is economics. Now I respect your opinion on resale of game systems, but I think I've given a pretty good reason on why it's not such a hot ticket in the end.

Soulburner
11-25-2006, 06:33 PM
You don't see me buying and selling these things. Just stating a simple fact that its no different than car dealers, real estate, and so forth.

Sure, it can get ugly. But I remember when I was kid I didn't always get everything I asked for because I didn't have rich parents and its probably better that way. I probably would have ended up spoiled. Its not a big deal for them to wait another year to get that shiny new system. Especially considering the game library, and online support (which are both nil at the moment) that will evolve in that time period.

A spoiled brat that doesn't get that high dollar entertainment system for Christmas probably deserves to have to wait a year for it, in my opinion. Patience is a virtue, and if you teach that at a young age rather than spoiling your kids they will grow up to be a better adult.

Ok i'm rambling...and I don't even have kids. But take from it what you will.

mikenam
11-25-2006, 06:55 PM
How is he right? The original comment is what was right. $600 is already too much for most parents to buy for their kids Christmas presents and not the mother of four that was probably 2 people behind the last sold unit who waited on line all day is going to have to explain to her 10 year old that she couldn't get the present he/she wanted because some guy had to resell on Ebay so he could get 200 extra Watts that he won't use for a year and a half.

I'd hate to break it to you, Soulburner, buddy... but Ebay has nothing to do with the economics. In fact, internet sales go against pretty much everything that is economics. Now I respect your opinion on resale of game systems, but I think I've given a pretty good reason on why it's not such a hot ticket in the end.

the 10 year old not gonna die if he/she don't get a ps3.

SlyMaelstrom
11-25-2006, 07:58 PM
the 10 year old not gonna die if he/she don't get a ps3....and billdavis and wife will die without their 1000W PSU? Can you even name a game out or coming out this year that requires 8800GTXs in SLI?

Were you not a kid? I grew up not always getting what I wished for on Christmas, either. It's a very disappointing experience on Christmas day. I didn't go crying to my parents because they couldn't get my gift, but I certainly didn't feel to hot the next week at school when everyone was talking about how much fun they were having with their new consoles. The point is that an adult isn't going to have to face the criticism of not having the latest and greatest the same way a kid is. As expensive as the PS3 and Xbox 360 is, the fact is that they do actually put an effort out to make sure it's purchasable by the middle class family and people just rip that ability away by buying multiple consoles and reselling on the internet for a profit. Should it be made illegal? Of course not, but it doesn't make it the right thing to do.

Kobalt
11-25-2006, 08:04 PM
My friend has it and im not impressed at all. We played some weird shooter game with zombies and the graphics were even worse than UT2k4, which is 3 years old. I'll take a PC over a console anyday.

SlyMaelstrom
11-25-2006, 08:08 PM
I'll take a PC over a console anyday.An opinion rarely disputed on a PC forum. :) It's a shame that they have to dumb down our PC games to run on game consoles.

I personally haven't seen a PS3 in action, yet. However, even if I did, I wouldn't pass opinion on it until at least three months after release. You'll never see it's potential before then. You probably won't see it's full potential for 6-12 months. If ever... hell, we still haven't seen the original XBox's potential; They release the 360 too fast.

Haltech
11-28-2006, 07:14 PM
Got my nephew a PS3 and a WII in addition to the 360's 1080p upgrade...

The difference that i can tell are...

The WII is more fun.. lol

Seriously though.. were going to unload the PS3. Were not impressed by its graphics, its controller nor its power. Its very overated... Tigerwoods 07 on the 360 is easily twice as good than the PS3... Generally EA titles looked better on the PS2 compared to the Xbox. I dont like the controller at all on the PS3.. My thumbs easily get tired. I do believe the developers had more then 4-6 months to do what they make millions doing. Only loyal Sony lovers will think this is the best console ever.. Microsoft won this one hands down and Nintendo win's for changing the way we play games, although the graphics arent impressive.. It has the Fun factor by far.

360 = #1 in Power/Graphics
Wii = #1 In Fun and Changing Interaction
Sony= Overpriced, Overated, OverHyped, Low On Features and Power

mr.tie
12-01-2006, 03:10 AM
:P I profited, little billy didn't wait 23 hours(14 of which were outside) in a rainstorm, in 30 degree weather in Michigan, so I say fcuk 'em.

grimREEFER
12-05-2006, 03:19 PM
...and billdavis and wife will die without their 1000W PSU? Can you even name a game out or coming out this year that requires 8800GTXs in SLI?

Were you not a kid? I grew up not always getting what I wished for on Christmas, either. It's a very disappointing experience on Christmas day. I didn't go crying to my parents because they couldn't get my gift, but I certainly didn't feel to hot the next week at school when everyone was talking about how much fun they were having with their new consoles. The point is that an adult isn't going to have to face the criticism of not having the latest and greatest the same way a kid is. As expensive as the PS3 and Xbox 360 is, the fact is that they do actually put an effort out to make sure it's purchasable by the middle class family and people just rip that ability away by buying multiple consoles and reselling on the internet for a profit. Should it be made illegal? Of course not, but it doesn't make it the right thing to do.
oblivion and need for speed carbon dont run well on a single 8800gtx if u really pump up the IQ

skitlets
12-11-2006, 01:52 AM
...and billdavis and wife will die without their 1000W PSU? Can you even name a game out or coming out this year that requires 8800GTXs in SLI?

Blame Sony and Microsoft for announcing and releasing products without the production to back it up.

thunderstruck!
12-11-2006, 04:16 PM
Stop whining and grow up. You want every PS3 to be handed out to those who can't afford it or something? Deal with it.

ugp
12-20-2006, 06:58 AM
oblivion and need for speed carbon dont run well on a single 8800gtx if u really pump up the IQ
I ran Obilivion full spec out on a x1900XTX when I had my PC system and no problems at all.

serialk11r
12-20-2006, 01:04 PM
PS3 and xbox360 have the nvidia rsx graphics chip, which is a bit worse than a 7800gtx. Blu ray is the most retarded thing ever. Blu ray disks come in 25GB and 50GB. DVDs come in 4GB and 8GB. Games/movies that are larger than 8 GB(a dual layer DVD disk) will not come out for a long time. Most of our PC games now are smaller than 2GB, and they kick the asses off those PS3s. I just got all this crap in my sig, so I have no money, and I'm not planning to get any game console soon. I personally think PS3 is the stupidest thing ever. Game consoles weren't meant to be like this. 500 bucks is way too much for a game console.

[cTx]Philosophy
12-20-2006, 02:46 PM
^^^Xbox 360 has an ati based graphics chip bro^^^

Soulburner
12-20-2006, 03:08 PM
PS3 and xbox360 have the nvidia rsx graphics chip, which is a bit worse than a 7800gtx. Blu ray is the most retarded thing ever. Blu ray disks come in 25GB and 50GB. DVDs come in 4GB and 8GB. Games/movies that are larger than 8 GB(a dual layer DVD disk) will not come out for a long time. Most of our PC games now are smaller than 2GB, and they kick the asses off those PS3s. I just got all this crap in my sig, so I have no money, and I'm not planning to get any game console soon. I personally think PS3 is the stupidest thing ever. Game consoles weren't meant to be like this. 500 bucks is way too much for a game console.
You are forgetting the fact that HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs were created to have enough space to hold HD content. Sure putting regular games and DVD movies on them isn't going to fill them up. But think about 1080p movies that are going to take up a massive amount of space due to the very high resolution. It all scales accordingly. Blu-Ray is not retarded at all, but it may be to the uninformed. Add to that you aren't even considering the console system's abilities as a unit...these are no longer simply "game consoles" only. Let's not even mention what past consoles cost that were strictly game machines only. When adjusted for inflation many of them cost more than what you are paying now...

Again though this is off-topic, and the thread was created to ask users opinions of the systems they own, and I don't see you owning one? And as I don't yet...back on topic.

cadaveca
12-20-2006, 03:15 PM
I spent a couple of hours @ bestbuy the other night..."christmas shopping"...when i walked in the door, they announced that they had ONE PS3 for sale...when i left 1 hour 45 minutes later, it was still there.

There's no better indicator of what people think than that.:fact:

My own opinion? Well...it;s far too early to tell. I'll be awaiting the fall games release to decide whether I'll get one or not. Sony has this nasty habit of not using a console to it's full potential until they REALLY need too...it's only that that keeps me interested, even after playing with one for about 4 hrs.

Soulburner
12-20-2006, 03:22 PM
Sony says they are going to try as hard as they can to get 1 million of them in the pipeline by Dec. 31...I don't see how its possible but we can only wait and see.

Kingcarcas
12-20-2006, 05:39 PM
^ They smoke too much crack ^^That mini-fridge isn't worth $600 ^^^ Atleast Microsoft gives me a choice with HD-DVD, all i want is a GAME console.

Soulburner
12-20-2006, 06:33 PM
Sorry they don't make those anymore. Now you get web browsers, high-def movie players and hard drive storage space among other things...

"Game-only" machines died with the last-gen of Nintendo.

Maybe try a Nintendo DS? :p:

[TAG]Imp
12-26-2006, 03:02 AM
uh, to the people talking about the off-road demo (Motorstorm, fyi), there's two versions. the ugly, low fps, pre-update version, which i'm assuming is the 20 fps one referenced, and the incredibly good looking, amazingly fun, updated one, which is the one that i have and play way too much.

Lt_JWS
12-26-2006, 06:15 AM
@ [TAG]Imp, could your post some screenshot? Im just interested in how the final version looks :)

eXceeded
12-26-2006, 06:32 AM
PS3 and xbox360 have the nvidia rsx graphics chip
I loled :p:
X360= Xenos
PS3= RSX

Kingcarcas
12-28-2006, 12:32 AM
Sorry they don't make those anymore. Now you get web browsers, high-def movie players and hard drive storage space among other things...

"Game-only" machines died with the last-gen of Nintendo.

Maybe try a Nintendo DS? :p:
No thanks, i'll just play my cousins DS (even if it is pink) :p:

I loled :p:
X360= Xenos (early R600)
PS3= RSX(7800GTX)
:D

Ubrak
01-03-2007, 03:35 PM
don't even know where to start there's so much misinformation here.

For one most the games out for PS3 right now are not even 1080p (NBA 07 is one that is 1080p). Secondly, even if you get one that is it can only be output via HDMI (feel sorry for the sap that paid $50 for it...monoprice.com) or component out and that part isn't out yet for the PS3. So if you don't have a HDMI cable right now the best you going to get is 480i. I am not surprised they don't sell like the cheaper consoles at $600 they are another tier up in price for many and many just don't have the money to spend on something like that (that is if they even wanted a PS3).

Personally so far I do like the system, one thing I don't like is the fact that it won't push blu-ray out component if I wanted it, but that's more a HDCP issue. Also, I think I would have made the interface a little different. I also don't like the fact that you can't charge the controllers unless the unit is on. Oh, and Sony when is the dang player remote coming out?! I think end of Jan. for $25.

Lt_JWS
01-04-2007, 09:52 AM
Just got my PS3 2 days ago... so far i love it :) Im really impressed with the system, the graphics aren't as good as Gears of War by a long shot but still very nice for this early one in the consoles life :D

sephiroth8748
01-04-2007, 07:05 PM
don't even know where to start there's so much misinformation here.

For one most the games out for PS3 right now are not even 1080p (NBA 07 is one that is 1080p). Secondly, even if you get one that is it can only be output via HDMI (feel sorry for the sap that paid $50 for it...monoprice.com) or component out and that part isn't out yet for the PS3. So if you don't have a HDMI cable right now the best you going to get is 480i. I am not surprised they don't sell like the cheaper consoles at $600 they are another tier up in price for many and many just don't have the money to spend on something like that (that is if they even wanted a PS3).

Personally so far I do like the system, one thing I don't like is the fact that it won't push blu-ray out component if I wanted it, but that's more a HDCP issue. Also, I think I would have made the interface a little different. I also don't like the fact that you can't charge the controllers unless the unit is on. Oh, and Sony when is the dang player remote coming out?! I think end of Jan. for $25.

I got my HDMI Cable on ebay for about $10. Works great with my 56 inch Samsung in 1080P :)

eXceeded
01-04-2007, 11:43 PM
I have the console but my dad won't let me use it and wants me to sell it (since i live in UK...).
Anyways as far as graphics go they have done quite well for a 7800GTX but you can tell it needs more VRAM and faster as the textures and foliage are so plain and aliased even compared to 360 launch titles. Overall I'm v.disappointed with it in the end (I sort of convinced myself of what all the fanboys had said about the quality...) Controller actually feels rubbish too

[TAG]Imp
01-05-2007, 12:05 AM
http://www.ps3.es/imagenes/motorstorm/motorstorm-3.jpg
http://games.tiscali.cz/specials/ps3/motorstorm.jpg
these aren't my pics, but those are in-game. it's like that, but in full motion. SOOOOOOO fun.

eXceeded
01-05-2007, 11:55 AM
LOL at the above pics, tehy are soo far from the real thing its not even funny...

[TAG]Imp
01-06-2007, 12:36 AM
uh, do you have a PS3? and if so, have u played the motorstorm demo? because that's pretty much what it looks like...