PDA

View Full Version : Gainward 7900gt 512mb weird BIOS stuff and low OC

knopflerbruce
11-19-2006, 08:19 PM
I've got 2 Gainward 7900gt 512mb running. There's no problem when I run them at stock speeds. The core(s) stops @ 630MHz, and the memory... well... 752 MHz isn't exactly top notch.

I tried to use only one card, and the core stopped at approx the same in both cases (625-630MHz). However, one of the cards managed to reach 800MHz memory speed before atitools went all yellow, but the other one struggled to get 750MHz. One of the cards has stock cooling, the other one has a vf700-cu with the blue ram coolers. What's kinda funny is that it's the stock cooled card that reaches the 800 MHz, and not the other one... Even if the stock cooled card is 10+ C hotter than the other during load.

Some other interesting fact about one of the cards (the stock cooled one) is that it looks different. made a thread in a Norwegian forum with some pics a long time ago. The text is in Norwegian - but the pictures are international:) http://www.diskusjon.no/index.php?showtopic=646837&hl=

Notice the two "gadgets" I marked in the first post. They're both gone on the picture I attached to a later post in the thread. As far as I know, the two gadgets are included on ALL pictures of this card that I've seen, so there's something funny going on there. Also, there are some black squares that are placed differently. No pictures of that, but the difference is pretty clear once you're aware of it.

Just for fun I thought I'd see if there were any differences in the two bioses, as the cards don't look the same. Yes, there are two differences: The bios date - and the fact that one of the cards (I think it's the one WITH the two gadgets) has this info in the "product" line in NiBiTor: "GW-P/N@G7900 GS", while the other one says "GW-P/N@G7900 GT".

Note that the card that looks like it should is the one with the low clocks and the GS bios, while the other one works better - but looks weird - and has a GT bios.

So... can anyone please explain a bit why there are so many differences here?