PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose my GF4

isp
06-21-2002, 02:11 AM
At the end of this month I'm going to pickup a GF4ti4600. Who makes the best for OC usually? I hear Gainward has some problems with its models...

I'm thinking Leadtek or Abit...

I have seen a few people on here that have the PNY ti4600, hows that working? Did you have to RMA it for another or anything?

Thanks for your adivce my friends,
Ted :cool:

Chong345
06-21-2002, 02:33 AM
i have a visiontek. Its ok. I can get it up to 325/755 with a crystal orb and ramsinks on one side of the card. No rpoblems yet except that it won't clock higher.

isp
06-21-2002, 04:47 AM
I was hoping to be able to get a decent OC with just the stock cooling...

Hardass
06-21-2002, 04:55 AM
MrIcee has a PNY that OCed to 332/762 out of the box. Before putting waterblock on.

isp
06-21-2002, 05:03 AM
Yea I saw that, thats pretty crazy :D

I don't have the money to watercool anything yet, so all my stuff will be on air.

Hardass
06-21-2002, 05:17 AM
Right but I think what he is saying is it ran that way before he hooked up.

isp
06-21-2002, 06:20 AM
Yep, I understood that part. Whats he have it on right now with the waterblock?

I might go with PNY :confused:

mackanz
06-21-2002, 07:04 AM
As my creative, PNY is made by MSI and most of the cards made by MSI oc pretty good. My did easily 335*735 and i haven´t really pushed it either. However, some warnings has to be said..My gf4 now has tearing and artifacts all over the place, even during bootup and in bios so it is pretty useless. I´m lucky since i live 5 minuites from the factory to them so i just went there today and returned my card and i will have a new one sent out on monday.
This problem is VERY common on this card and i cant really blame Creative for it. Either Nvidia or MSI has some major problems with their 4600.
Time will show...

Mricee,
Do you know if quite a lot of PNY:s has been bad after a few months usage?

Cheers!

Mac

Hardass
06-21-2002, 07:25 AM
He has a post with tips http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1225on purchasing these cards.

isp
06-21-2002, 07:30 AM
Thanks for your experiences mackanz

I'll read that hardass, thanks :)

OPPAINTER
06-21-2002, 07:35 AM
All Ive tryed was VisionTek, about 5 of them:D
The best stock clock was 340/756 no artifacts.
The worst was 328 out of the box. They all did 756 mem no problem.

OPP

MrIcee
06-21-2002, 08:22 AM
Hi Guys:)

When I say out of the box...I should clarify just a bit. I ALWAYS remove heatsink/fan assemblies....remove the factory Thermal interface material...and apply a coating of Arctic Silver 3. That allows a better O/C than stock"out of the box" thermal tape. So my 332/762 was done with AS 3 applied.But all in all..thats a pretty good O/C...and both my PNY's were equal in that manner.

My first Visiontek was decent too..but my 2nd Visiontek really sucked...heres my observation on that: You know all the round caps on the card?? Well on the less desirable Visiontek..all but 6 capacitors were replaced with the little rectangular black plastic ones. I believe that contributed to less than stellar O/Cing on both gpu and memory. So if you get one like that..go take it back and exchange for something else...you'll be much happier. That card would barely run over stock speeds..even on chilled coolant.

Mac:)

I think if any of the Ti4600's are used in a "normal;) " fashion they will last forever. The PNY's are in fact manufactured by MSI and are very high quality...which should make for a very long lasting, reliable card. I replaced mine once tho it still worked..because of condensation I was starting to experience some visul corruption or tearing....but I had punished it with high voltage, chilled overclocks in benching for quite some time too.:)

randi :D

isp
06-21-2002, 08:25 AM
I think I'll go with Leadtek, it looks like it has some nice fans on it :D

And I'll probably apply some AS3 to it like Randi suggests...