PDA

View Full Version : AIW 9700pro + No boot = Big hammer?

MediOCre
04-30-2003, 10:16 PM
Anyone else running into this? Install AIW 9700, hit power, fans move a bit then nothing. No power to the board again until I unplug the machine for 10-20 seconds. (Rig in sig)
Have removed and replaced card several times, set BIOS at default, run the gamut on various voltage settings, disconnected all non essentials powering only 1HD & card, both on seperate power leads. (No fans connected, no pci cards)
I can get it to boot but only by unplugging 9700, hit power and then immedietly connecting live power to the card before post. Once it's up and running it's stable as can be, OC's rather nicely, loops 3DMark for hours on end and does a brilliant job on the few games I've tested. Afraid that doing things this way, besides being a major pain in the a$$, is going to kill something eventually.
Thought it might be the overvolt protection kicking in since I get the same symptoms if I run the core voltage above 1.95. Don't really understand enough about how that works though. Was planning on getting around to the mod eventually, may have to try it sooner than anticipated.
Haven't tested in another system yet but will soon. Was hoping someone here had a few other ideas before the meds wear off and I break out the hammer.

MediOCre
05-01-2003, 06:38 PM
Update.

A little browsing turned up quite a few similar problems, most power supply related. Needed a PSU for another project anyway so picked up an Antec True550 and it didn't make a bit of difference. Even tried powering the system with the old 430 and hooking the Radeon on the new 550 all by it's lonesome. Same problem.