PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Cable, or Networking?

SxualCappuccino
06-20-2002, 07:47 PM
Hey guys, i need some help..lately, when i get online, the web runs as fast as normal, but when i get onto a game, or watch a movie clip, my ping is hella high, or as for the movie clips,i get an error warning telling me i have a network problem..i'm wondering if this is just because a lot of people are online..or if i hooked up my networking and everything up wrong..anyone have any advice??

Smizack
06-20-2002, 09:34 PM
What is the error message you get? Is it just a 10, or 10/100 mbps network? A lot of people can cause lag in the game yes, but it shouldn't be that bad. And if your setup is working at all, you've most likely got it installed correctly, but you may have some cheap cat cable or even a high snr from you provider would make web browsing seem ok but the more you use up your bandwidth the higher the noise gets.

A little more info would be great. Like what modem you have, what hub or router are you using and so on. And any errors you're gettin.

And welcome to the forums btw!;)

stompah
06-21-2002, 01:03 AM
Dont forget to tell us what ISP you have. Seems a few ISPs have been routing traffic thru AOL's network and REALLY messing :banana::banana::banana::banana: up.

DaGooch
06-21-2002, 02:10 AM
Do a "tracert" to the game server and see if it is a routing problem at a router at your isp or after. To see if your problem is your line to your isp "ping" your gateway which might be caused by a bad SNR as Smizzy mentioned. If you have a router at your premise, ping that as well. It seems you are having a lot of resends or massive packet loss.

Smizack
06-21-2002, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by DaGoochMeister
Do a "tracert" to the game server and see if it is a routing problem at a router at your isp or after. To see if your problem is your line to your isp "ping" your gateway which might be caused by a bad SNR as Smizzy mentioned. If you have a router at your premise, ping that as well. It seems you are having a lot of resends or massive packet loss.

Good advise. High snr or low power can cause packet loss. Your isp should be able to tell you if you are within thier limits. Some *cough* Cox *cough* don't really care and won't try to help the noise matter. But good luck man.

SxualCappuccino
06-21-2002, 02:55 PM
Well, my cable modem is a SurfBoard SB4100..and i'm using a Netgear DS104 Hub. It's a 10/100 mbps. I'm gonna have to wait until i get the error message again, i only get the error msg, when i'm downloading a movie clip, so next time i get it, or any for that matter, i'll be sure to write it down and come running your way..like the jackass i am..Thanks for the help guys..

SxualCappuccino
06-21-2002, 02:56 PM
btw, i forgot to tell ya, I'm running off of Cox Communications crappy ass isp..so, i may just call and get them to come out and bull:banana::banana::banana::banana: me and tell me that nothings wrong..

SxualCappuccino
06-21-2002, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Smizack
And welcome to the forums btw!;)

Thanks man, i'm glad to be here..maybe i can get a couple of my dang mess ups fixed now..heh:banana:

Smizack
06-21-2002, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by SxualCappuccino

Thanks man, i'm glad to be here..maybe i can get a couple of my dang mess ups fixed now..heh:banana:

Hell yeah. And sorry to hear about *cough* cox *cough* :D :D