PDA

View Full Version : PC Speaker beeping rapidly??

voigts
11-11-2006, 12:26 PM
Out of the blue, a couple of days ago my PC speaker would start beeping rapidly for about 30 seconds or so once or twice a day. It beeps like twice a second or so for the roughly 30-45 seconds and then just stops. It has happened both while idle and just a few minutes ago while on the web. The MB is a dual Sata2 that I have been using for about 6 months, and the CPU and the PSU I have been using now for about a month. I see no errors in event viewer, and have looked all over Google to try to find a clue about this. The computer seems to be acting normally. Any ideas as to a cause?

nn_step
11-11-2006, 12:38 PM
try cleaning the contacts
Is it a subtle beep, or is it a clear, audibe beep?
because it could your your thermal monitor beeping. (meaning clean the heatsink)

Juggalo_X
11-11-2006, 12:50 PM
i have seen this a few times where customers of mine complain of the same symptoms ended up being a defective keyboard. also post temps.

voigts
11-11-2006, 01:17 PM
They are clear, loud audible beeps just as loud as the single BIOS post beep.

I am watercooled, so temps are not an issue. Right now the CPU is 37c, GPU 38c, and hard drives at 30c ea.

As for the contacts, the speaker assembly and wiring is all only a month old, yet this only started a couple of days ago.

I am using a USB keyboard.

Now you know why I am puzzled...

nn_step
11-11-2006, 01:34 PM
well I guess it is testing time. First run a 32M of SuperPI and then lets do a little bit of Prime to make sure it isn't the CPU or memory. Then we try a knoppix CD, and see if it beeps. If it does we know it is hardware and not software. Grab the quick linux link out of my sig

voigts
11-11-2006, 02:42 PM
Ok, 32M Super PI finished fine, and I ran Prime 95 for about 30 minutes with no errors. CPU only rose 3c. The idea of running Knoppix makes sense, but I would have to run it for like a day or so to see if it beeps again as it only has done so once or twice a day for the last few days.