PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide whether to buy Chieftec Matrix or Dragon

BrainStorm
04-30-2003, 08:41 AM
I am going to buy a new case that I eventually plan to use for a water cooled rig. I've narrowed my choices down to two cases that are basically that are the same as far as internals go.

They are either the:

Chieftec Matrix
http://www.directron.com/ma01wd.html

or the:

Chieftec Dragon
http://www.directron.com/da01wd.html

Just based on looks, I'd buy the Matrix case. But I'm also concerned about airflow. I'm wondering if there is any difference in the airflow through the air intakes in the front bottom of these two cases. I know the airflow for the Dragon will be fine, because I have an Antec SX-830 which has the same grill in the lower front. My question is whether anyone has any experience with the Matrix case and would the airflow in the lower front of the case be as good or better than the Dragon.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tweaked!
04-30-2003, 09:12 AM
Me personally, I like the Dragon a little better than the Matrix. Just a looks thing.:cool:

youthemandan
04-30-2003, 09:17 AM
I like my matrix case. It has the power buttons on the outside of the case so the door doesn't have to be open. Its a nicer case with a little nicer touches. Has a 80mm fan up top.

CCW
04-30-2003, 09:58 AM
My Dragon is a fab case, has lots of fan holders :D also, if u even go watercooled theres space for a 92mm fan up top so you could put a 92 mm rad up there and fans :D Picked that idea up from Marci

plenty of space good case, dont like the look of matrix

ASRaiven
04-30-2003, 12:37 PM
The dragon power button is also out of the door..

The Matrix is ugly, grab the dragon..

johnxp
04-30-2003, 02:27 PM
I'd wait for the full tower chieftecs to be offered in aluminum.
Here's an option, Directron sells the matrix front bezels for 24 bucks. You could get the dragon tower and order the matrix bezel you'd have bolth cases.

Think I'll order me a matrix front for my mid-tower.

felix88
04-30-2003, 03:11 PM
i like the looks of the dragon a bit better, but the matrix is kinda cool too.

CCW
04-30-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by johnxp

They already are available to my knowledge....just not in many colours but nothing a tin of spray paint wont fix ;)

BrainStorm
05-01-2003, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by johnxp
Here's an option, Directron sells the matrix front bezels for 24 bucks. You could get the dragon tower and order the matrix bezel you'd have bolth cases.

Now there's a thought! ;)

xxORBxx
05-01-2003, 03:36 PM
I love my Matrix. Everyone has a dragon, so be differnt. Are the scopios available still?

GVCryan
05-01-2003, 04:48 PM
I have both. I prefer the Dragon for cooling, and the MAtrix for looks. THe Antec's have fan filters built in, but they look like poop.

BTW craig, there is enough room for a comair 17cm in the top. I used to have one, until I broke the blades with my thumb.

TerroH8er
05-01-2003, 04:57 PM
Well, I was gonna get a Matrix until my friend got one, so then I got a Dragon, and let me tell ya, the class style of the Dragon starts to grow on ya.

BrainStorm
05-01-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by GVCryan
I have both. I prefer the Dragon for cooling, and the MAtrix for looks. THe Antec's have fan filters built in, but they look like poop.

BTW craig, there is enough room for a comair 17cm in the top. I used to have one, until I broke the blades with my thumb.

GVCryan, so in your experience the Dragon does better for cooling? Actually got any numbers as far as the difference?

CCW
05-01-2003, 09:07 PM
BrainStorm, I cant ell you that my XP1700+ is being kept at 34*C underfull load and it has a cooler only rated to XP2200+ (1.8GHz) mainly due to the airflow you can get through the case, i have 5 case fans and the air flowing in and flowing out is unbelievable

Sick0fthelies
06-17-2003, 10:59 AM
I like the dragon more than the matrix, but if you want something in a similar style, i really like this:
http://www.buyxtremegear.com/turcaschenxp.html

CCW
06-17-2003, 11:02 AM
they look cool :D

Bleam!
06-18-2003, 10:18 AM
I have both here now... and I can say, the matrix is my favorite, the things you can do with that thing...

I detached the HD racks, and the peace in the middle where the cables have to go trough, and made a custom hd rack on the PSU... now I have a PERFECT airflow (no cables, molded everything) and won from 35° in case to 27° (Room temp = 23°)

sandman
06-18-2003, 05:54 PM
Well, never having seen a matrix in person, this may be biased.

But, my cheiftec dragon (The server version without the extra 2 cd bays) has quite a bit of room, and that thing must be huge. I love my dragon. Next best thing to a Lian-Li, IMO.