PDA

View Full Version : PSU, board, misreading what?

xlink
11-11-2006, 02:35 AM
what is up with the volts readings? any clues?
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4203/wtfwo7.png

PSU Enermax liberty 400W
board DFI infinity 975x/g
c2d e6400 @ 2.94 - 3.1GHz 1.248V(after vdroop 1.292 set through software)
2GB patriot LLK @ 2.0V 733-775mhz 4-3-3-8
GeForce 6200PCI(waiting fox DX10 to be a reality)

look at the 3.3V rail that can't be right - or can it?
12 V rail gives me 3 diferent readings.

things to note. All the readings are stable throughout. I have primed stable(small FFTs) for 24+ hours at 2.94 with stock volts on everything aside from RAM(which is now higher and stricter) overall system stability is allright, though i have a few small issues while gaming with texturing though I beleive it is card based since the card was and is crap(nvm it's apparently a widespread issue with CS-source).

I don't have a multimeter at this time, or rather i do but it no longer works.

any diagnostics? and if you're looking at the CPU temp, it's higher than it should be since i have partially messed up the mounting clips on my infinity(will be modding it better but I sitll think temps are fine for no so I'll wait.)

STEvil
11-11-2006, 02:51 PM
never trust software.

ever.

End of story.

Praxis1452
11-11-2006, 02:59 PM
it's always wrong. software readings don't mean anything... at all.

xlink
11-11-2006, 04:00 PM
I don't have a multimeter at this time(POS spontaneously died). Any advice?

any other software which monitors volts? jsut to check.

STEvil
11-11-2006, 04:27 PM
lots, but none of them will give you accurate readings. Get a new DMM or dont worry about it for now.

NickS
11-11-2006, 04:41 PM
Yep. Stop @ Radio Shack. $25 later and you got one that'll last you forever.

WeStSiDePLaYa
11-12-2006, 06:03 PM
I don't have a multimeter at this time(POS spontaneously died). Any advice?

any other software which monitors volts? jsut to check.

no software can give you accurate results.

but, what you can do once you get a multimeter, is download systool, and then check your volts with the DMM, and then with systool, figure out the delta, and then systool lets you set the delta.

i figured out my board was reading about .4v too low on the 12v. so i figured out my delta, changed the delta in systool, and now i can accurately monitor what my volts actually are without need of taking out the DMM every few minutes.

:toast:

STEvil
11-12-2006, 08:27 PM
actually it will still be inaccurate as the sensors may suffer voltage droop under load while the rest of the system does not, or visa versa.

DMM's are the only way to go for true and accurate readings (and they're not perfect either, but good enough for a lot of what most people do without LN2, dry ice, etc..).

Revv23
11-12-2006, 08:49 PM
no software can give you accurate results.

but, what you can do once you get a multimeter, is download systool, and then check your volts with the DMM, and then with systool, figure out the delta, and then systool lets you set the delta.

i figured out my board was reading about .4v too low on the 12v. so i figured out my delta, changed the delta in systool, and now i can accurately monitor what my volts actually are without need of taking out the DMM every few minutes.

:toast:

Well for one, you still need a DMM to do that, and for two, software doesnt read voltages accuratly imo, meaning a .1v change in software is not always a .1v change in real life. Doesn't really matter much, TBH i dont watch my voltages at all, i set em and forget em. But saying the software is accurate wont be true ever unless they put a really high quality volt meter on mobo's which wont happen ever.

WeStSiDePLaYa
11-12-2006, 08:59 PM
Well for one, you still need a DMM to do that, and for two, software doesnt read voltages accuratly imo, meaning a .1v change in software is not always a .1v change in real life. Doesn't really matter much, TBH i dont watch my voltages at all, i set em and forget em. But saying the software is accurate wont be true ever unless they put a really high quality volt meter on mobo's which wont happen ever.

thats why i said once he gets a multimeter though.

and i find the way i do it usually gives me accurate results to about +/- .02v compared to DMM measurement from the range of idle to load, when calibrated with a multimeter. which is good enough for me.

the sensors they use in most boards are fairly decent for what they do, the thing is though, they arent calibrated. so untill you calibrate them, they will be way off.

nn_step
11-12-2006, 09:21 PM
http://www.mpja.com/productview.asp?product=14310+TE
cheap and it'll save you alot of questions

Revv23
11-12-2006, 09:27 PM
thats why i said once he gets a multimeter though.

and i find the way i do it usually gives me accurate results to about +/- .02v compared to DMM measurement from the range of idle to load, when calibrated with a multimeter. which is good enough for me.

the sensors they use in most boards are fairly decent for what they do, the thing is though, they arent calibrated. so untill you calibrate them, they will be way off.

:D :toast: