PDA

View Full Version : How's this for a chiller

killersushi
06-20-2002, 08:24 AM
I've found this umm... unit, I would think in english it's called a condensing unit? It's just basically a compressor and a condensor, just as you would find in a phase change chiller. An evaporator is not included, there are different types to choose from.

http://www.waeco.ch/shop/images/products/94.jpg

The compressor is a Danfoss BD50F, the specs on the Danfoss site say they run with R134 refrigerant. Do you guys think it would make a nice water chiller? Says it's good for 200 liters deep freezing (meaning room in a freezer of course, not 200 liters liquid freezing). Would like to hear some opinions.

And then, coz it kinda fits here, I've found this weird machine. It's called a dive-in cooler (translated from german, might be another more accurate expression). It's supposed to cool liquid down to -90c, seems you just have to put that hose thingy into the liquid.

http://www.julabo.de/jgmbh/database/produktbilder/ft901.jpg

They say for these temperatures you would have to use ethanol, your cheapo antifreeze won't do. I've no idea about the price and getting through to that company seems to be rather hard. All companies doing business with whatever type of freezing stuff that I inquired are not very cooperative, often I don't get any replies at all. Ah well, they will have their reasons. But I will have my way you bastards :D

This thing is gonna cost a fortune anyway, not sure if I wanna know the price.

killersushi
06-21-2002, 04:56 AM
Well the dive thing is obviously a so called Immersion Cooler. But I guess I'm talking to myself.

dmitriyaz
06-21-2002, 12:56 PM
how much is that thing? :)

killersushi
06-21-2002, 03:14 PM
I got an answer and this very cooler in the pic is about $6200 ;)

-Rogue5-
06-30-2002, 09:01 AM
Thats old news.

Yeah those things are DAMN expensive...especially considering what you get.

The only really cool thing is that the evaporator can be attached/detached (on the top pic, see the two release valves behind the fan! thats where you would attach your evap). AND you can get evaps in all different shapes and sizes...If memory serves, you can even get an evap that is flexible....

...but still it costs an arm and a leg.....and another leg.

-Rogue5-

killersushi
06-30-2002, 09:05 AM
What shape of evap would be best for putting into liquid directly? I would think some sort of spiral or something.