PDA

View Full Version : How bout getting some Xtreme clans goin

CCW
04-28-2003, 07:17 AM
whos interested and what games?

i am if we can get something sorted, what u guys think?

Tweaked!
04-28-2003, 07:36 AM
I was just talking to knightelite last night about joining up on his clan for bf1942. But one thing I'm not comfortable with is most of those members seem to be from [H]. I would like to see a clan of all XS members as well.

That and maybe even UT tourneyment 03. :cool:

Smizack
04-28-2003, 08:10 AM
I'm game for bf1942 when as soon as I get my mobo rma'd.
We have a clan for Vietcong we just use "-=XS=-" as the name tag. Anyone from here is welcome to use it.

Tweaked!
04-28-2003, 08:37 AM
I wouldv'e already started a server for bf1942, but that game needs so much bandwidth I doubt my cable connection is enough for it. I only average 260kbps up, while my down speed averages 3.6 - 3.8 mbps.

On top of that, I still haven't completely figured out how to bypass the firwall on my router. I opened the ports to that one computer, but it still won't allow passage. If it wasn't for the rest of my folding farm being so dependant on that router, I would eliminate it but i can't do that.:(

CCW
04-28-2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Tweaked!
I was just talking to knightelite last night about joining up on his clan for bf1942. But one thing I'm not comfortable with is most of those members seem to be from [H]. I would like to see a clan of all XS members as well.

That and maybe even UT tourneyment 03. :cool:

Would be cool palying against other OCin sites such as [H} and AOA etc to show them were Xtreme at everything

Smizack
04-28-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Tweaked!
I wouldv'e already started a server for bf1942, but that game needs so much bandwidth I doubt my cable connection is enough for it. I only average 260kbps up, while my down speed averages 3.6 - 3.8 mbps.

On top of that, I still haven't completely figured out how to bypass the firwall on my router. I opened the ports to that one computer, but it still won't allow passage. If it wasn't for the rest of my folding farm being so dependant on that router, I would eliminate it but i can't do that.:(

You could always just set that comp as the dmz. I had to for a while to play halo through gamespy.l

Tweaked!
04-28-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Smizack
You could always just set that comp as the dmz. I had to for a while to play halo through gamespy.l

Could you post a small tutorial on "how to"? Guys like me barely know how turn my computer on much less dmz it. ;) (j/k) But really I don't know squat about anything beyond basic home networking. Do you think my bandwidth is enough to run a small server?

hedge
04-29-2003, 05:51 AM
Tweaked, unfortunately cable modems are not good for hosting servers. Too little upload, creates too much lag if a lot of people join.

CCW, I was actually thinking about the whole clan thing a while ago, but wasn't sure if I wanted to say anything. A friend of mine is trying to get me to join his clan at Beyond Unreal for UT2k3 but I don't know if I would want to. Some of their members are wierd. I could also go for a cs clan, however I found cs lame ever since valve bought it and tried to make it fair for the whiners and noobs (often times they are the same people).

hedge

Tweaked!
04-29-2003, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by hedge
Tweaked, unfortunately cable modems are not good for hosting servers. Too little upload, creates too much lag if a lot of people join.

CCW, I was actually thinking about the whole clan thing a while ago, but wasn't sure if I wanted to say anything. A friend of mine is trying to get me to join his clan at Beyond Unreal for UT2k3.

hedge

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking. Cable would only be good for up to around 6 - 8 players or so. I know I've seen others trying to host through cable modems and wondering why they were experiencing lag. Maybe I'll start shopping around to see what other options for providers are available around here.

hedge
04-29-2003, 08:02 AM
Tweaked, if you could get a dsl line, try to get at least a 640k connection. The upload is the same as your cable modem, but it won't bog down like a cable modem will. The ideal is to go for a 1.2mbit dsl line. Or if money isn't an issue, go for the big pipes and get an OC3. :D

hedge

Tweaked!
04-29-2003, 08:29 AM
Well, I've spent some time since my last post searching for alternate providers for my area and have turned up nothing more than a big dissapointment. Basically there's only two main providers in my area, Road runner (which is what I have) and Zoomtown. Zoomtown is the phone companys dsl, which I have at work. We actually have the business version which is supposed to be double the bandwidth compared to residential, and it tests at 768 down/249 up. My current cable tests as high as 3.8mbps down/ 268 up. H*ll, once I had a fluke on my home system, I ran a test one friday evening after putting together another folding rig, and end results hit 21mbps down on my cable connection.:eek:

So I'm finding it very hard to believe that Zoomtown dsl with those speed comparisons could end up any better. I'm not concerned with my down speeds, anything above 500 kbps would satisfy me, but I can't afford no T-1 or OC3. Just for the h*ll of it, I priced those and the T-1 wanted almost $500.00 a month, and the OC3 was a little over $12,400.00 a month:slobber:

I would have to do some serious money generating to come close to handling that;)

But you say the latency on the dsl upload speeds are less, even though it rates slower?

CCW
04-29-2003, 08:30 AM
hedge, what games are you into?

hedge
04-29-2003, 04:07 PM
First off, yes, dsl latency seems to be faster even though the rate is slower. I am not sure how it works out, but I know that you can put up to 8 people (this is from experience) on one 256k dsl connection playing cs and never have the pings go above 95 ms. Pretty amazing. If you tried that on cable, you might slow down to 180-200 ms with the same amount of people.

CCW, I play a lot of UT2k3. I like to think I am fairly good despite the connection I play it on. Sometimes I play on a 26.4k dial up, that is real fun... :D ...or I also play on my friends Sprint Wireless Internet. It plays at roughly the same speeds as cable internet. I still play CS once and a while. All of the noobs and Sierra ruined that game. A little TFC for fun too.

hedge