PDA

View Full Version : Do Drivers sometimes just stop working correctly?

mhorgel
11-02-2006, 07:22 AM
I have a very new system (see sig) that has been up and running for about 1 month. I had it rock stable 24/7 at 3.51 GHz, it would play 2 separate instances of world of warcraft at 60 fps each simultaneously.

Yesterday when I got home, the machine had tried to reboot. it gave me an error which was something like "invalid CPU code". Turning the machine off, unplugging, and rebooting worked fine, but the thing started to exhibit extreme instability with random restarts, BSOD's, etc. Upon successfur reboot, I got the "The system has recovered from a serious error" message. The first 2 error reports attributed the error to a device driver, the third report specified a video device driver.

I do not remember what version of Catalyst I was running. It is whatever was the newest release version about 6 weeks ago. I had uninstalled Catalyst Control Center, and was running ATI tools. I was running at stock 3d speeds, and had 3d detection off, as I had some previous lockups when closing out a 3d program.

What I did was uninstall my drivers using ATI's file removal tool, and installed Catalyst 6.10. I did not have time to test the machine as I was already running late for work.

My question is, I have heard that ATI drivers are buggy, but can they suddenly become corrupted and cause instability? If it is not my video drivers, what else could cause the above symptoms? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Mark