PDA

View Full Version : Maze5

Bad213Boy
10-31-2006, 07:30 PM
when the heck did danger den come out with Maze5, i guess today. happy halloween guys. anyone buy that its better then the Maze4?

Click Here for preview (http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=254&cat=89&page=1)

Shpoon
10-31-2006, 08:08 PM
Hmm, that was a pretty subdued intro by DD...

I'm surprised...why fix it when it's not broken? Especially with DX10 cards coming..

Petra
10-31-2006, 08:14 PM
Not to rain on anyone's parade or anything but.... That kinda looks to be a product update just for the sake of releasing a product update and generating sales.

I mean, it may perform a tiny bit better... but at what cost, in terms of increased pressure drop?

MaxxxRacer
11-01-2006, 01:03 AM
um... seems to me that the only useful improvement is that they added more fins. but making the circles complete wouldnt help anything i dont think. maybe someone has some more insight into their thinking behind the new design.

[XC]Atomicpineapple
11-01-2006, 01:28 AM
They dont list it as 8800 series compatible, which makes it utterly pointless, as it means (as far as I know) Swiftech are the only company to have 8800 compatibility, when they release their new bracket obviously. As a result DD will miss out of the rush for blocks that will occur when the cards become available in retail.

septim
11-01-2006, 03:26 AM
i do wish they do something about some GS cards compatibility...

how come i don't see any maze in there? looks to me like its all unbroken circles small going larger...

Bad213Boy
11-01-2006, 06:32 AM
um... seems to me that the only useful improvement is that they added more fins. but making the circles complete wouldnt help anything i dont think. maybe someone has some more insight into their thinking behind the new design.

ya personally i think that the old Maze4 was a good design. i like the deeper archs it offered and allowed the water to flow between the fins and exit the block better. this one looks more like a heat sink design.

Nosfer@tu
11-01-2006, 07:07 AM
Subcribed.

JoeBar
11-01-2006, 07:52 AM
More restictive? Certainly.
Better performing? Will see. Even though i doubt that we'll see any major diffs.
Bad timing? Without a doubt! Just before the G80's release? :stick:

Bad213Boy
11-01-2006, 04:56 PM
can anyone private message me on these G80's? im interested in seeing it.

[XC]Atomicpineapple
11-01-2006, 05:00 PM
can anyone private message me on these G80's? im interested in seeing it.

Seeing what? Look around the forums (specially the News and 3D sections), there plenty of threads about it, including pics. Also in the Intel section theres a thread started by Victor Wang containing benchmark results.

Bad213Boy
11-01-2006, 05:08 PM
Seeing what? Look around the forums (specially the News and 3D sections), there plenty of threads about it, including pics. Also in the Intel section theres a thread started by Victor Wang containing benchmark results.

lol, ya sorry im still catching up on certain stuff. ive been out of the loop in technology for awhile, im still working with AGP :rolleyes: ive had so many problems with this damn ATI x850 pro AGP card it took me over a year to play any internet game with out crashing. ive finally figure out what settings i need on or off and now trying to get back in the groove.

ATI use to rock, but now after so many complaints and my experiences using an ATI card, i doubt ill ever buy another one again. if i do anything ill probably get another new mobo and look for some PCIE graphics cards.

thx for the info atomic, ill look it up.

Shpoon
11-01-2006, 06:02 PM

It was actually removed, I didn't get to see it :/

What were the results?

BlaqMale
11-02-2006, 05:25 AM
man there are some weird people, because it doesn't seem to fit the g80 it's utterly pointless? it looks more restricitve? etc.

funny, i thought xs was about performance, isn't that why the very restrictive strom is preached as the block to have. i just see the new block as another choice for us consumers. not like maze 4 is inavailbale. if it performs better then it has a place it the market right? personally i want to oc my gpu more than my cpu

it doesn't fit g80, so? i'm pretty sure the very limted few that will be jumping on to g80 gtx/gts will want a full cover block, if not then that's a lot of ramsinks don't you think, we're not even sure what else needs to be cooled on the g80s.

i think what i'm trying to say is that it seems to be the trend to bash products based on apearances and early info and it kinda annoying, no biggie though, ever body is entitled to there opinion yes but i think some opinions are too extreme.

Batman!
11-02-2006, 08:13 AM
Ya but we already have a pretty good idea of how it might perform. The circular pattern wont yield all that much in performance, but will yield a much higher pressure drop then its worth..

Ya the storm is restrictive, but the performance gained is more then worth it.

I mean if current blocks are doing pretty awesome as far as gpu cooling goes, maximum of a 1c or 2 difference..then why get something that will not fit future blocks and wont yield a performance benefit all that noticeable?

We could be wrong though..this could be a nice block. Personally I would just spend my money on the mcw60, good balance of performance and restriction, with a removable and customizable mounting plate....

eXa
11-02-2006, 11:39 AM
Ok the internals of the maze4 i understand, but this maze5 just doesnt make any scence? i think they should make it like the maze4. Dont know if more fins would yeld much lower temps, probably marginal!

Sparky
11-02-2006, 11:50 AM
ATI use to rock, but now after so many complaints and my experiences using an ATI card, i doubt ill ever buy another one again. if i do anything ill probably get another new mobo and look for some PCIE graphics cards.
IMO ATI still does rock. I have a X1900XT and it is amazing. You might have just gotten a dud card, a friend of mine has the X850XT PCIe and has no trouble with it.

That maze 5 looks like it would perform no better - if not worse than - the maze 4. But then I'm no pro at waterblock design....

warriorpoet
11-02-2006, 05:59 PM
IMO ATI still does rock. I have a X1900XT and it is amazing. You might have just gotten a dud card, a friend of mine has the X850XT PCIe and has no trouble with it.

That maze 5 looks like it would perform no better - if not worse than - the maze 4. But then I'm no pro at waterblock design....
Yeah, that's a cool card, but I'm really waiting to see what the R600 is capable of...

EnJoY
11-02-2006, 06:25 PM
I don't get the purpose of having the circles closed...

_G_
11-02-2006, 07:06 PM
I don't get the purpose of having the circles closed...
Easier to manufacture? maybe its spun on a live fixture instead of being milled out

Digz
11-02-2006, 09:04 PM

"Our new offering...We've even tested it on the hot CPU's. It's barely behind the TDX in performance but much less flow restrictive. (Yes it is a GPU block but we tortured it with the Pressler!)"

http://dangerden.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?4807

MaxxxRacer
11-02-2006, 11:29 PM
No offense to DD but they arnt know for their quality testing practices.

Eddy_EK
11-02-2006, 11:46 PM
Easier to manufacture? maybe its spun on a live fixture instead of being milled out
This copper is not milled.
It is molded ;)

Senater_Cache
11-03-2006, 12:04 AM
It is molded ;)
correct, you can even see the dimples left by the mold-inlets.

so I guess it is made for future-proofing their product for use with gigantic dies like G80 in mind. I dont see any other reason why they would make the fin structure so big.

anyone have pics of the top? Im curious to see just how the water will be channeled through the rings.

JoeBar
11-03-2006, 01:47 PM
Someone should review it and clear everything...

_G_
11-03-2006, 02:21 PM
It is molded ;)
didnt even see the dimples and the rough finish lol
was the maze 4 a cast (stamped?) block too?

SeanB
11-04-2006, 09:05 AM
they should release a maze5 chipset thats capable for the dfi ultra-d boards >:)

Quazi
11-04-2006, 09:19 AM
From what I can see, the price between the Maze 4 & Maze 5 haven't changed. And if it works as well as the Maze 4 with less low restriction, it would be a better product, wouldn't it? Especially for those of us already running highly restrictive cpu blocks like the Storm?

I'd be interested in the differences in effectiveness, if any? If they do the same job and offer less restriction, it could be helpful to those running restrictive cpu blocks on less than adequate pumps.

MaxxxRacer
11-04-2006, 03:18 PM

yes it was cast too.

Eddy_EK
11-04-2006, 05:46 PM
No, Maze 4 was milled.
See this image, where milling marks are seen ;)
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-65556269779593_1918_1198077

_G_
11-04-2006, 05:53 PM
thats a much better maze4 pic than i could find with google immage (had a sandblasted finish)
I guess one reason they made the maze 5 was to cut production cost
(wich is not a bad thing as long it performs)

Makubex_GB
11-04-2006, 06:52 PM
Maze 4 even looks sexier.

Petra
11-04-2006, 07:53 PM
thats a much better maze4 pic than i could find with google immage
Why, thank you :D

Digz
11-06-2006, 04:23 AM
They have turned up for sale in the UK.

DD Acetal MAZE5 GPU 1/2" *NEW* £37.99
http://www.watercoolingshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=26_50&products_id=403

DD Acetal MAZE5 GPU Low Profile 1/2" *NEW* £36.99
http://www.watercoolingshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=26_50&products_id=422

DD Acetal MAZE5 LP GPU SLI Kit 1/2" *NEW* £94.99
http://www.watercoolingshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=26_50&products_id=513

-

Danger Den Acetal MAZE5 Low Profile 1/2" £37.49
http://www.componentsuk.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=27_31&products_id=405

BlaqMale
11-07-2006, 01:10 PM
i think i'll be getting the sli kit

davidzo
11-07-2006, 03:17 PM
It is molded ;)

hey, you were faster, spotted the dimples too.

Pretty cheap way to manufacture blocks in high quantity. I guess dangerden makes a fortune out of this while other small comapnies still keep milling and can't come close to their profit margin.

But for a new process to make cooler, it looks quite boring imo. They could have used the new technology more, looks like a milled part which was just molded instead of milled. not designed ground up new for molding but instead adopted from a milled part (maze4). Nothing new on the design front, a little disappointing as if they were running out of ideas.
With molding process you could have made such nice strcutures, which could perform even better and have equally low flow resistance...