PDA

View Full Version : External HDD not Readable Now.. :(

ugp
10-27-2006, 09:43 PM
My external HDD with all my um...*cough* files on it will not read now. Says unreadable and wants to format it.

I am going to try to use Drive Genius on it and see if I can repair it.

When I try to repair it with Disk Utility I get this...

Verify and Repair disk “disk2s3”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Invalid node structure
Invalid B-tree node size
Invalid node structure
Invalid B-tree node size
Volume check failed.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
1 volume could not be repaired because of an error

And it has a weird drive name now. It use to be "External 1"

Anyone have any advice on this. I am very glad I made a backup of all my sons pictures today on a DVD. But I had so many other files it would have taken alot of DVDs but I now see it is worth it to do so. I don't trust HDDs.

ugp
10-28-2006, 04:39 AM
No help or ideas...?

eddieate
11-01-2006, 09:08 AM
My Friends iPod is getting this exact same error in disk utility :confused:
I'll see what google turns up.
Ed.

ugp
11-01-2006, 05:34 PM
I didn't find much on it at all. I realized I lost all the videos of my son as well. I am sad :(

Vapor
11-01-2006, 06:06 PM
Is it viewable on other computers?

The error is disconcerting.....not that the fix for fixing a dead FW/USB port is very desirable either.

ugp
11-02-2006, 04:44 AM
I used Data Rescue II and I was able to recover most of the stuff. I still lost some of the movies of my son but got back some...some is better than nothing. Some software was recovered as well.

So I guess that worked out alittle. I went ahead and burned a backup of all my music. Took me 10 DVDs to do so. I don't trust Hard Drives anymore. As long as a CD/DVD isn't scratched they are realiable.

perry_78
11-03-2006, 04:12 AM
I used Data Rescue II and I was able to recover most of the stuff. I still lost some of the movies of my son but got back some...some is better than nothing. Some software was recovered as well.

So I guess that worked out alittle. I went ahead and burned a backup of all my music. Took me 10 DVDs to do so. I don't trust Hard Drives anymore. As long as a CD/DVD isn't scratched they are realiable.

For about 15 years or so, unless you get the nice gold plated ones.. A tape streamer would be the ideal solution :toast: