PDA

View Full Version : FED EX COMPUTER SHIPMENT RIG IS FUBAR do to Hyper 6

trans am
10-27-2006, 11:21 AM
Guys, I had to tell someone. Maybe you can give me advice with handling a fed ex ground claim. I built my friend in chicago a computer rig for gaming with some old parts of mine.

Opty 165 939
dfi nf4 ultra d
2gb mushkin redline ddr
x1800xl 256
2x80gb hitachi sata II (raid 0)
1 120gb seagate ide
Coolermaster Hyper 6
samsung lightscribe dvd burner 18x
coolermaster case
Sunbeam 550w modular psu

Needless to say Gargantuan HYPER 6 dismantled during shipping and ripped cpu out of the socket bending tons of pins. broke a fan. Drives are in tact but who knows if they work from hyper 6 banging into them. cpu i would say is fubar. just too many pins to bend back. video card pcb is still in tact. only time will tell. also one of the ddr sticks came out of the dimm slot and was just kicking around inside the case. THe funny thing is I was going to tie down the hyper 6 with zip ties to the inside of the case where the psu goes but I didn't I was even going to remove the hyper6 and have the recipient reinstall it but that didn't happen either. I insured it for $1,000 (more than what its replacement value is) but I am not sure if fed ex will cover if the damage was internal. I had fragile stickers outside the box and this end up but i guess that doesn't matter. Has anyone had this happen to them? How should I handle the claim?

trance565
10-27-2006, 11:47 AM
go for it, if it says fragile they shouldnt be tossing it arround hard enough to rip a hsf off, hell, i wasnt able to do it with my typhoon back when i used it. or my siftech 6400, etc. and i wasnt exactly nice to the damn thing either. i'de say claim it.

KoHaN69
10-27-2006, 12:11 PM
:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: to fedex that they destroyed and disfigured your custom masterpiece of technology that you've made for your friend who is on his deathbed
- At least that's how I would start the claim.

uOpt
10-27-2006, 12:40 PM
Shipping a system with a Hyper 6 mounted?

User error. Sorry. Not Fedex' fault.

Praxis1452
10-27-2006, 12:56 PM

they don't know that :p:

Anavel0
10-27-2006, 01:40 PM

Nah they can't say that. How else does HP/Compaq, Dell, Gateway, and the likes ship their computers. Granted they aren't using Hyper 6 as their heatsink. It also had fragile and this end up wrote on it.

Trans Am, I'd let them know. You had insurance on it for $1,000. Not sure how strong the mount is for a Hyper 6 but if it's as strong as my Thermalright's, and I bet it is, then that took a lot of force.

uOpt
10-27-2006, 01:46 PM
Nah they can't say that. How else does HP/Compaq, Dell, Gateway, and the likes ship their computers. Granted they aren't using Hyper 6 as their heatsink. It also had fragile and this end up wrote on it.

I don't think you realize neither how HEAVY that cooler is nor how LOUSY the mount it.

Believe me, I have two. I keep them to throw them at intruders, better than a .45 Colt :)

faruquehabib
10-27-2006, 02:04 PM
i had that problem happen with a xp-90, same thing. it dismounted and tore up the inside. i got the full insurance from fedex back. i had to prove the worth of the damaged parts, thats all. i'd go ahead and file that claim. if it would have been handled better, it would have been fine imho...

AACDIRECT
10-27-2006, 02:05 PM
Good luck. Even if you properly packaged it. Properly marked it. Had a lightweight HSF. You are almost 100% guaranteed that they will deny the claim. Be prepared to fight them. They wasted a $6500.00 system I built in May and have not paid. First they said the computer was not proper packaged. But it was in a $200 custom armored shipping box. Then they said the damage was not done in shipping because the box was not destroyed. To date they have given me every excuse in the book... and have not paid. Also if you did not report the damage with in 24 hrs.....denied.

Be prepared to fight. Just don't give up.

STEvil
10-27-2006, 09:08 PM
You gotta toss them around pretty hard to dismount a heatsink... 'though if they have levers maybe the lever rattled loose over time.....

Bbq
10-27-2006, 10:21 PM
Just remember when shipping it, the best way to protect the insides is to completely stuff it with the big-bubbled bubblewrap. Pack it in so tight that nothing can move.

My general theory: If you don't feel good about dropping the package from 6 feet onto a concrete floor, then don't ship it.

Pinnacle
10-27-2006, 10:38 PM

I was just gonna say that! ITs your fault, never ship with such a huge HSF on the motherboard. Going over a speed bump at 40KM/h with a case standing up in a car can rip it out, heard about that happening.

STEvil
10-27-2006, 10:40 PM
yeah, thats about how I pack stuff....

ahmad
10-27-2006, 11:20 PM
I guess the one thing that one should do is indicate how the box should be placed. There are many ways a fully assembled computer can be transported, and only one of them is correct: backside down.

For all you people, put some kind of indication on your box of how you want it to be placed. If stuff is broken after that.. then obviously they will pay.

If it says fragile, yes it could be fragile. But put a setup computer fan and hs facing down, and it wont survive a 5km/h bump.

STEvil
10-27-2006, 11:25 PM
sure it will.

I had to make an emergency stop due to retards tailgating in heavy traffic and my case went flying off the back seat of the van I was driving (4 other cases on the seat stayed in place) and rolled all the way to the front of the van crashing into the console.

all the hardware in the case still works fine and nothing broke free.

ThermalTake Big Typhoon, bolted to the mobo of course though..

Kingcarcas
10-28-2006, 04:43 AM
Whatever you do, don't ship UPS ground (my bro and cousin work for them and i've heard some stories) :eek:

trance565
10-28-2006, 07:07 AM
I was just gonna say that! ITs your fault, never ship with such a huge HSF on the motherboard. Going over a speed bump at 40KM/h with a case standing up in a car can rip it out, heard about that happening.

who the :banana::banana::banana::banana: would go over a speed bump at 25mph?

uOpt
10-28-2006, 07:40 AM
You gotta toss them around pretty hard to dismount a heatsink... 'though if they have levers maybe the lever rattled loose over time.....

I can repeat it as often as you want.

The obove is not true for the Hyper6. People who never ownered one cannot judge this.

The Hyper6:

Is very heavy
Very high with the weight evenly distributed so there are substancial lever forces pulling onthe mount, many more than on other full-copper HSFs
The mount of the Hyper6 just sucks, big time

You DO NOT have to toss it around hard to have it go off. And if it doesn't rip off you might rip a chunk out of your board.

alexio
10-28-2006, 07:48 AM
Truth is that by using the Hyper 6 you are already over the maximum force there is allowed to be on a s939 motherboard mounting, specified by AMD. Neverteless you should try to get your money back, but it was kind of stupid to leave the HSF on. Even with extra support for the HSF I still would rather take it out.

Pinnacle
10-28-2006, 09:34 AM
who the :banana::banana::banana::banana: would go over a speed bump at 25mph?

My buddy :slap:

trans am
10-28-2006, 11:29 AM
Truth is that by using the Hyper 6 you are already over the maximum force there is allowed to be on a s939 motherboard mounting, specified by AMD. Neverteless you should try to get your money back, but it was kind of stupid to leave the HSF on. Even with extra support for the HSF I still would rather take it out.

I couldn't agree more with you. I've been kicking myself in the balls all night over this mistake. I'm totally embarrassed by this because I know better. Fed ex doesn't give a frick about fragile signs or anything. Their job is to ship from a - b.

I totally agree it was my error for shipping with the heatsink mounted but I also think fed ex wasn't careful either. I had 2nd thoughts as soon as I dropped it off at fed ex. I was like "oh man...what did I just do?" ".....oh well it's insured.." :shrug:

I made a claim and faxed copies of invoices from newegg last night. I'm not sure how they will handle it. Some invoices are a week old and some are almost a year old. ... these were parts from my amd rig before I switched to core2 duo. Here are some pics my friend took. My favorite is the one showing the hyper 6 mounting bracket broken completely in half!!! That other thing is a coolermaster "tooless" drive mount. Good thing I screwed them in instead.
I'm not sure the drives are any good. It was a raid 0 set so if one is toast the whole windows install and apps are gone. I think the drives maybe okay, the dvd writer, the psu, hopefully the 2gb redline set is still good. Other than that I think the videocard, cpu and mobo are trashed.
My question is this.. Fed ex is now going to pick up the rig from the recipient. then they are going to ship it to have it analyzed by fed ex claims dept. the rep told me to put everything in the case like it was. how the hell am I going to do this? what if they deny the claim? I'm going to get the rig shipped back to me regardless of the claim so I don't want to risk killing more components by just throwing the heatsink back in there.

What are your thoughts?

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=52380&stc=1&d=1162063717

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=52381&stc=1&d=1162063717

thunderstruck!
10-28-2006, 11:46 AM
I don't think you realize neither how HEAVY that cooler is nor how LOUSY the mount it.

Believe me, I have two. I keep them to throw them at intruders, better than a .45 Colt :)
You would throw a gun at an intruder? Interesting...:D

Pinnacle
10-28-2006, 12:17 PM
Damn, alot are bent some are broken off also. Well, it'll make a good keychain atleast ;)

DTU_XaVier
10-28-2006, 12:28 PM
The fact that it is a Hyper6 doesn't necesarrily (can't spell that:p:) mean that it should come off... I've transported my old s939 system with that exact cooler a lot of times (lying down of course), and nay a problem... The fact that the retention bracket apparently snapped in half (:eek:) is enough to make me suspect that there was more than a little force used in transportation... tough luck for you mate, hope you can get at least items-value back...

Best Regards :toast:

pissboy
10-28-2006, 12:36 PM
I had fragile stickers outside the box and this end up but i guess that doesn't matter.

FRAGILE MEANS KICK ME. Never use those stickers. I've worked in logistics before, and I've run into those boxes with fork trucks, dropped them, etc. I didn't care, I was making $10/hr and I didn't like my job.

Of course if it can be damaged by a 6' fall to all 8 corners, then it isn't packaged properly. You can defend yourself however you want, but it wasn't packaged properly. There is a reason you should bring it to a UPS/Fedex shipping location, and that is so they pack it for you. If they pack it, and it gets damaged, they are liable.

Entity_Razer
10-28-2006, 02:59 PM
My general theory: If you don't feel good about dropping the package from 6 feet onto a concrete floor, then don't ship it.

6 feet, a feet is 30 CM's so thats 1meter 80.

WTF? i'd never have to ship anything then. Drop something from 1 meter and 80 Cm's heigh down to a concrete floor? YOu must be kidding me? HELL NO DAMMIT. Its their job not to let my parcel even TOUCH the dam ground. what the hell do we pay them for?

And pinnacle, 40KM/H over a speedbump? :o

Thats pretty good to tear up the underside of your car on "landing"

STEvil
10-28-2006, 05:15 PM
depends on the car... :D

Uopt: Sorry but I disagree. It still takes substantial force to snap the bracket or rip the heatsink away from its mounting hardware. Either action requires more force than the mounting mechanism can supply to the chip (often 40-90lb per square inch).

Pinnacle
10-28-2006, 06:25 PM
6 feet, a feet is 30 CM's so thats 1meter 80.

WTF? i'd never have to ship anything then. Drop something from 1 meter and 80 Cm's heigh down to a concrete floor? YOu must be kidding me? HELL NO DAMMIT. Its their job not to let my parcel even TOUCH the dam ground. what the hell do we pay them for?

And pinnacle, 40KM/H over a speedbump? :o

Thats pretty good to tear up the underside of your car on "landing"

Oh thats nothing you should see the pot holes we have here, they make the speed bump look tiny. We do 60KM over those lol

cirthix
10-28-2006, 07:40 PM
I couldn't agree more with you. I've been kicking myself in the balls all night over this mistake. I'm totally embarrassed by this because I know better. Fed ex doesn't give a frick about fragile signs or anything. Their job is to ship from a - b.

I totally agree it was my error for shipping with the heatsink mounted but I also think fed ex wasn't careful either. I had 2nd thoughts as soon as I dropped it off at fed ex. I was like "oh man...what did I just do?" ".....oh well it's insured.." :shrug:

I made a claim and faxed copies of invoices from newegg last night. I'm not sure how they will handle it. Some invoices are a week old and some are almost a year old. ... these were parts from my amd rig before I switched to core2 duo. Here are some pics my friend took. My favorite is the one showing the hyper 6 mounting bracket broken completely in half!!! That other thing is a coolermaster "tooless" drive mount. Good thing I screwed them in instead.
I'm not sure the drives are any good. It was a raid 0 set so if one is toast the whole windows install and apps are gone. I think the drives maybe okay, the dvd writer, the psu, hopefully the 2gb redline set is still good. Other than that I think the videocard, cpu and mobo are trashed.
My question is this.. Fed ex is now going to pick up the rig from the recipient. then they are going to ship it to have it analyzed by fed ex claims dept. the rep told me to put everything in the case like it was. how the hell am I going to do this? what if they deny the claim? I'm going to get the rig shipped back to me regardless of the claim so I don't want to risk killing more components by just throwing the heatsink back in there.

What are your thoughts?

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=52380&stc=1&d=1162063717

Depending on what the white bloch on the left of the pic of the cpu's pins is, i'll give you a perfectly working 3000+ for it.

sucks that they damaged it. defniitely try to get your $ from em.

Pinnacle
10-28-2006, 07:59 PM
Depending on what the white bloch on the left of the pic of the cpu's pins is, i'll give you a perfectly working 3000+ for it.

sucks that they damaged it. defniitely try to get your $ from em.

Ill take it

oh its not my decision :D ;)

Vikodemous
10-28-2006, 09:56 PM
You paid Extra $$ for insurance just in case some thing happened...

onewingedangel
10-29-2006, 06:22 AM
If I were you I would have been tempted to show them your c2d reciepts. Not that I would have done it, but I would have been tempted.

Maybe even ordered a x1950xtx, printed reciept, then cancelled order:)

Now that was a joke:rolleyes:

WeStSiDePLaYa
10-29-2006, 08:31 AM
i gotta say,

you probably already know this, but you knew better than to ship with that hsu on it.

id deffiently tally this one up to packing error.

BUT, id say still try to get your money back.

jimwah
10-30-2006, 02:03 AM
Having just watched a delivery guy kicking a package of sata drives & wireless routers out of his van outside I'd always pack stuff to survive a good thrashing - the guys round here don't own their delivery vans, don't give a dancing banana whats in the boxes in the back, & drive like it like they stole it. Apart from the UPS guy, he has a crap van that looks like it does about 10mph max :stick: :hehe:

I'd have another chat with fed-ex, if they ship the machine to somewhere else, as it is, the whole lot will be trashed - you can't remount everything as it was shipped originally so it needs to wrapped in bubblewrap for inspection & hopefully reimbursement imo. Good luck sorting it out man.