PDA

View Full Version : What type of Solder?

theonetheycall
04-26-2003, 12:32 PM
Is there any diff of what type of solder I use. I got me some Light Duty Rosin-Core Solder 60/40 for my VDD mod, is this right?
I am going to do it ASAP.

TIA.

xtreme
04-27-2003, 10:33 AM
hmm i saw a shop, which is sellig a 8W soldering iron.. is this enough for vmods ? because this thing has a 0.4mm needle ;O

Ruantic
04-27-2003, 11:40 AM
Solder will be fine, 8 watts is plenty for an iron....

bowman1964
04-27-2003, 05:23 PM
well i use 62/36/2 solder and a couple differant soldering irons( i think i have 5 total).but 20 watt works fine for circuits and is fairly quick.i like the soldering station radio shack has where it has a low 20wattt and a high 40watt switch.it does a good job.

Ruantic
04-27-2003, 05:36 PM
but 20 watt works fine for circuits and is fairly quick

Quick yeah, a bit high for SMD work, 8-12 watts is plenty for SMD work.... Personally I wouldn't be putting 20 watts of heat onto my motherboard, but as far as that goes I wouldn't use a Rat shack Iron either....

No Offense, or flame intended Bowman, 20 watts is just a tad bit higher then what I would reccomend for SMD work. Been into Electronics Service for about 30 years now....

bowman1964
04-27-2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Ruantic
Quick yeah, a bit high for SMD work, 8-12 watts is plenty for SMD work.... Personally I wouldn't be putting 20 watts of heat onto my motherboard, but as far as that goes I wouldn't use a Rat shack Iron either....

No Offense, or flame intended Bowman, 20 watts is just a tad bit higher then what I would reccomend for SMD work. Been into Electronics Service for about 30 years now....

no offense taken.it does take a little time to get used to moving fast enough to not overheat something.but if i had my way( and more money)i would have a nice adjustable solder station.for just that.but i get by.
everyone has there own way of doing something and if i was at it as long as you have well i proberly would said the same thing as you.i think for SMD work you are right about what you should use.i just use what i have gotten use to getting by with.:)

Ruantic
04-27-2003, 06:12 PM
i just use what i have gotten use to getting by with.

I guess thats all that matters :)

texuspete00
05-01-2003, 05:04 AM
Bet you he can do it real fast so can get away with a hot iron. Lower watt iron might help us soldering noobs take our time, no? Probably helps him get it done quick, no need to hold it in a spot for too long. As far as not using radio shack tools, is it not just a metal tip that gets hot?

bowman1964
05-01-2003, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by texuspete2k2
Bet you he can do it real fast so can get away with a hot iron. Lower watt iron might help us soldering noobs take our time, no? Probably helps him get it done quick, no need to hold it in a spot for too long. As far as not using radio shack tools, is it not just a metal tip that gets hot?

yes i am quick on my solder points.i go to alot of trouble getting the ends ready and tinned if need be.and i pre flux the ic legs before i start.that means i can touch the iron for say 1/2 sec and joint is complete.

but yes a lower wattage is safer.

but Ruantic is very correct.
low wattage is the best. and the differance on irons is all in the heat control. radio shack i use are pretty good but the real good ones have a heat control adjustment that is unbeliveable.
set it to 4 watts and it will be 4 watts.
mine may say 20 or 40 watt but it really may be 17,22, or 36,45.
for me i dont mine.but for someone who works on boards for a living ,they need excate control of the heat.

Ruantic
05-01-2003, 08:23 AM
is it not just a metal tip that gets hot?

Happy, stares out the window, waiting for his shiny new motherboard, he sees the truck in the distance, his soldering iron ready, a knock on the door, a minute later the motherboard is lying naked on the table, his hot tool in hand, Happy OC. carefully solders the needed mods to his board.
Happy double checks his newly modded board, his work is perfect, he is done!

Later that day, Happy OC. makes a post on his favorite forum, he cannot figure out why his new motherboard won't work! He has cleaned up all evidence of the mod and will be RMA'ing his board in the morning. Unfortunately he chose a CHEAP A$$ soldering iron to do his mod work.

Poor Happy didn't realize that things like static electricity, and improper grounding, or the poor design of his soldering iron could actually kill his board. You might never be Happy, you may solder your entire life without this happening, or you may be constantly killing your stuff and wondering what went wrong....

Either way, A decent Soldering iron isn't much more $$$ than a cheapie, why risk your expensive stuff by using a cheap iron?