PDA

View Full Version : Complicated hard drive problem.. please help@

ThePunkerGuy
04-26-2003, 09:27 AM
Ok, here is the long-complicated situation. I have a 20gig Western Digital 7200 RPM ATA100 hard drive.. fairly new. This is what ends up getting screwed up.. but here is the story behind it. I had the computer in my signiture below (it has changed now, havnt updated the sig). Well, i am pretty sure the mobo was going bad.. the onboard raid got kinda squirly, it had freezes and reboot problems. One time i tripped the bios jumper trying to reset the bios while the comptuer was on.. needless to say it shut off and i smelt a burning smell.. i waited a few minutes and turned it back on and it seemed to work fine. I know what i did was stupid, i am not a rookie computer builder, but we all do something dumb when we arent thinking about it sometime right? well.. anyway.. ever since that time the computer has had freeze up problems in Video games and if i were to transfer big files over the network the computer would freeze as well. So i got some new parts.. Asus A7N8X Motherboard, XP 2100+ CPu, etc.. i put the 20gig hard drive from my comptuer in my sig into my new computer and booted up windows and installed new drivers for chipset etc.. so that i could get my data off the hard drive and then format. I overclocked the cpu and had some video card problems (not related to windows, the video card screws up and freezes the comptuer if it runs in 8X, so it kept making the comptuer crash). Well then i just took out the hard drive and put it back in my old rig to recover the data. I put it in the new rig and reinstalled the old drivers for that mobo again. ( i know... i did allot of unneccisary HD swapping). Well once that was done i started trying to backup my incredimail email data.. well i kept getting an error saying that temp files were currput so i tried to empty out the temp folder.. and kept getting an error saying the files were currupt or unreadable so i could not delete them. So then i gave up with that and started copying all my stuff to backup over the network to one of my other computers. Well then it did the freeze up problem like always.. so i changed the network card figuring that might be it.. that still wasnt it.. so i tried copying some more stuff.. well after about 3 minutes of copying the computers screen flickerd and came back up at a resolution like 640X480 at really low color. And an error message came up saying that windows xp had recovered from a device failure... and the comptuer was froze up. So then i tried to restart, and i when i did the bios would show the device listing like it was booting.. and then when it would usually load windows, the screen would just go black and the comp would restart. It was now stuck in this loop with no way to stop it. I though the mobo had just finished dying. Well.. then i put the 20gig hard drive into my new computer as a slave and was going to get the data off it that way.. well when i put it in, the comp recognized the HD as what it was, but when i go to my computer the drive has nothign.. it says "G:\ is no accesible, the parameters are incorrect". So what happened???! Right now i am using a program called "GetDataBack" to recover the data off that hard drive, and it is working fine.. my data is coming back uncurrupted and intact. But if i format this 20gig when i am done and install windows xp on it should i trust it? Or do you think it wasnt the hard drives fault.. that the hard drive is fine and that it was just because of how many times i swapped it, the probably going bad mobo, etc.. Well, let me know what you think i should do with this HD.. i need it for Windows XP, but dunno if i should trust it. THanks!
- Mike

Tex
05-04-2003, 04:08 AM
From your story its hard to tell where exactly things went south.

Lets go straight on then to what to do next.

get the HD utilities from the disk manufacturer and do a low-level format and any kind of recertification tests or diagnostics they offer. I have used Maxtors utilitys on many makes and models of HD's if you have trouble locating a tool.

Tex

ThePunkerGuy
05-04-2003, 04:10 AM
Originally posted by Tex
From your story its hard to tell where exactly things went south.

Lets go straight on then to what to do next.

get the HD utilities from the disk manufacturer and do a low-level format and any kind of recertification tests or diagnostics they offer. I have used Maxtors utilitys on many makes and models of HD's if you have trouble locating a tool.

Tex

I ran the tests and everyting was fine, formated and still had the same problem with them in a different system.. since i am selling my old mobo and hard drives to someone i just RMAed the HDs to WD and they sent me working Refurbished ones, and i RMAed the mobo too and that will be back soon.. so after that it should all be fine. thanks
- Mike