PDA

View Full Version : NVIDIA Prefers to Stay Independent

sladesurfer
10-25-2006, 09:47 PM
:toast: : http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2037152,00.asp

NVIDIA Corp. is confident it can stay independent despite the recent takeover of its main rival, and it sees big growth opportunities in areas such as mobile, where it expects to double the sales. NVIDIA has been the target of merger speculation since Advanced Micro Devices Inc., announced it would buy Canadian graphics chip maker ATI Technologies Inc. for $5.6 billion. Some analysts have suggested NVIDIA could end up being bought by Intel Corp., or at least being forced to strike some sort of in-depth partnership like a licensing deal. Mike Hara, Nvidia's vice president of investor relations, reiterated his company's determination to stay independent. "It reinforces our philosophy that we don't want to be tied up," Hara told Reuters when asked about the ATI deal. "I don't think anything changes. In fact, what we've already felt and seen I think gives us the energy to push faster. While AMD and ATI figure out what their future looks like, we know what ours looks like," Hara also said.

Cybercat
10-25-2006, 09:48 PM
Good to know.

Reznik Akime
10-25-2006, 09:57 PM
Hmm, Doubtful it will happen but how many times in the past with big business have you heard this and a month down the road they announce a merger?

Of course, we arent in the 80s anymore.

nn_step
10-25-2006, 09:59 PM
AMD still treats nVidia sweetly. Although AMD and ATi are now one, does not mean that AMD and nVidia aren't close. Honestly they are closer than ever.

rozzyroz
10-26-2006, 05:09 AM
someday nvidia may look in the mirror and see that big amd bootprint on their forehead... then they will realise they were just a stepping stone.

cky2k6
10-26-2006, 05:26 AM
and yet they still made money... nvidia made amd into a popular platform, since nobody could make a decent chipset, and without it amd wouldnt be where it is, so i highly doubt it that amd will tell nvidia to screw themselves. they'll probably leave nvidia to make the high end chipsets and video cards, and just focus ati on producing solutions for oems like hp and dell.

XSAlliN
10-26-2006, 06:09 AM
Let's not have a Voodoo moment.

PS.3DFX I miss you :(

Mikesta
10-26-2006, 06:37 AM
I would have thought that VIA + NVIDIA would be a natural 'merger'/takeover (whichever I haven't had the time to research financial's)

VIA could use some help boosting it's integrated performance in the very least to help their HTPC market which seems to be the only market they are really trying to compete in and one in which they are under threat.

Also with CPU's becoming more GPU like with GPU like designs that will likely come about in 3 years time, you would think that VIA would benefit by skipping a few steps in the development curve.

With both businesses consolidating VIA could get rid of the S3 team.

My only problem is trying to figure out what benefit NVIDIA would get from merging with VIA.

One thing I'll say that isn't speculation is that NVIDIA being bought by INTEL would be a disaster for the industry. Truly truly woeful. Odds are that regulatory bodies wouldn't accept it but the threat is still there.

Overall it would be in the markets interest if NVIDIA stays strong and even eventually starts to compete with INTEL and AMD on all fronts.

nn_step
10-26-2006, 07:34 AM
amd need to continue making high end video cards cause if it doesn;t then nvidia will have no competitor, and that will lead to no innovation and high prices
Actually ATi is still going to be developing High End solutions. nVidia and ATi are still going to compete in the GPU and Chipset Market

someday nvidia may look in the mirror and see that big amd bootprint on their forehead... then they will realise they were just a stepping stone.
Alas AMD and nVidia were closer than lovers. But even though AMD and ATi are now together, they still remain close friends

Kanavit
10-26-2006, 07:34 AM
don't be fooled, AMD still very much needs nvidia to survive against intel. the relationship between the two companies must be good for both would be extremely important and beneficial to survive the Intel offensive onslaught.

nvidia is pushing harder than ever developing new technologies, even without ATI in the way any longer, as proof in seeing the G80 and geforce 8800 GTX/GTS products coming november. nvidia will provide AMD with superior chipsets for AMD 4x4 Quadfather motherboards .

Turtle 1
10-26-2006, 08:18 AM

I like people who know how to think . Your right AMD will use NV until they have all there x's and o's in line than it will be the boot. The guys at NV aren't stupid and they know whats down the line. But nobody still knows what NV's long term goals are.

ahmad
10-26-2006, 06:06 PM
Guess what the cat said when it couldn't catch the bird it wanted.

"It didn't taste good anyways."

At least thats what it looks like when a company makes these statements.

Cybercat
10-26-2006, 06:51 PM
amd need to continue making high end video cards cause if it doesn;t then nvidia will have no competitor, and that will lead to no innovation and high pricesyou honestly think AMD has the funds to support R&D for both a highend GPU and their upcoming CPU architectures? The R600 could be it folks! NVIDIA could turn into Creative Labs.

"Introducing the GeForce 10! Despite the looks, it's not the GeForce 8 with new driver features, we promise!"