PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft offering HD-DVD drive, $199

Soulburner
10-25-2006, 04:11 PM
Saw this in my Gameinformer. They are offering the HD-DVD drive add-on to the XBox 360 for $199. This will be used for movies only. Games will still only be made in DVD format. Microsoft says they have no plans to make HD-DVD games. This drive also does not have an HDMI output :nono:

So what does $399+$199=? About the price you'd have for the Premium PS3 with built-in Blu-Ray player and HDMI out...

Thoughts? Is anyone planning on buying one?

vudoodoodoo
10-26-2006, 10:46 AM
I heard about this and laughed. People need to stop complaining about PS3 price. Premium PS3 is comparable to an XBOX360 w/ HD DVD drive.
IMO, it's really dumb to NOT offer games on their HD DVD format.

Kingcarcas
11-01-2006, 03:52 AM
1. No HDTV
2. Microsoft gave people a choice and i appreciate that so i'm buying a 360 when it hits $300 :banana:
3. Hd-DVD means nothing to me, but i do hope it wins the format war.

Lt_JWS
11-07-2006, 08:14 PM
Im getting one tomorrow(if it ships) :D , beats the heck out of buying a $500 stand alone player..... Also Gears of War comes out tomorrow WOOOOOOOOT, also i could careless about HD-DVD games... i dont mind getting off my arse and changing a DVD ever so often.

squilliam
11-07-2006, 09:22 PM
1) An HD-DVD game would load slowly. Blue-Ray games do load slowly without hard drive help. The formats just came out and they can't be read as fast as a DVD can be.

2)Each PS3 game takes up 4.5GB of space on its hard drive to help free up space. If you get the cheap PS3 that is 3 to 4 games.

3) Most games use only 4GB of space on the disc. Sure the blue-ray has more space... but they fill it with cinematics... that is when you cross the line from game to movie. I personally would like them to stay a bit seperate.

4) As mentioned earlier, you are not having the HD stuff shoved down your throat. You have a choice with the X-box. $200 is nothing for a new format drive. Blue-ray drives for the PC are $600 and up.

5)Blue-Ray DVDs are $35-40 brand-new. HD-DVDs are $20 brand-new.

I Personally will support M-soft on this one. They have taken the smart and safe route. I plan on too purchasing one (X360) as soon as the premium goes for $300.

P.S. -1080p (or 1080i not exactly sure) format connection is in the works and they plan on making it a reality for the 360.

Soulburner
11-08-2006, 02:56 AM
3) Most games use only 4GB of space on the disc. Sure the blue-ray has more space... but they fill it with cinematics... that is when you cross the line from game to movie. I personally would like them to stay a bit seperate.
A high end PS2 game will take up most of a DVD yes, but a PS3 game will push the limits beyond what a DVD is capable of. Sony wanted to remove any possibility of holding developers back by giving them a near unlimited amount of room to grow. Also keep in mind HD content takes up a lot more space than we used to use, so the 50gb Blu-Ray discs let you pack a lot more content on than a 30gb HD-DVD format disc.

4) As mentioned earlier, you are not having the HD stuff shoved down your throat. You have a choice with the X-box. $200 is nothing for a new format drive. Blue-ray drives for the PC are $600 and up.
That is beside the point, because it is a part of the PS3. This HD-DVD drive brings the 360 up to the same price range. Nothing extra is needed for the PS3 which keeps its price where it is.

P.S. -1080p (or 1080i not exactly sure) format connection is in the works and they plan on making it a reality for the 360.
How are they going to do that?

Lt_JWS
11-08-2006, 05:12 AM
1080p is already out with the latest update to the xbox360, all you need is a 1080p HDTV :D

yaddam205
11-08-2006, 12:21 PM
And thats why ill wait for the redesign with 60GB HDD, 65NM and HD DVD built in.

Plus hopefully wont look as bad as it does now, in comparison with Wii and Ps3.

Soulburner
11-08-2006, 03:57 PM
1080p is already out with the latest update to the xbox360, all you need is a 1080p HDTV :D
So all it takes is a software update? The hardware was already capable?

Does Microsoft have plans to make games to use 1080p or can any game use that output?

Lt_JWS
11-08-2006, 04:39 PM
Yup it supports it with a simple software update :D ,All games can be upconverted to 1080p i believe, im not 100% sure on that.

Starscream
11-09-2006, 07:04 AM
hmm MS claims there wont be games requiring the HD-DVD drive.
i somehow got the feeling that in 2007 wel see games requiring that HD-DVD drive.

Cause at launch MS claimed there wont be games requiring a HD and u can play all games on the core version. And wow there are games requiring a HD already.

and about Blu-ray vs HD-DVD media.
a 15Gb disc costs 9 euro here and a 25Gb BR disc also costs me some 9 euro :/.
Movie prices here dont differ much from eachother the one thing that kills it at both sides is the prices for internal writers.

BobyTT
11-09-2006, 07:42 AM
There we go , i just got my HD-DVD player. its coming with KingKong movie , and 3 other HD-DVD are on their way from Netflix..

the quality is a,mazing , the update of Xbox it couldn't be easier If you like to watch movies that picture and sound is perfect its pretty good choice , and since i had already 360 i doesn't seen reason to buy PS3

http://miaworld.net/HD/images/fullsize/HDDVD02.JPG

http://miaworld.net/HD/

Metroid
11-09-2006, 09:00 AM
There we go , i just got my HD-DVD player. its coming with KingKong movie , and 3 other HD-DVD are on their way from Netflix..

the quality is a,mazing , the update of Xbox it couldn't be easier If you like to watch movies that picture and sound is perfect its pretty good choice , and since i had already 360 i doesn't seen reason to buy PS3

For me the external Hd from Microsoft is too expensive and it will not use it for games. What a shame.

I would rather buy a Playstation 3 than X-Box 360 + HD.

That is me.

It looks very nice.

Thanks for the pictures.

BobyTT
11-09-2006, 09:04 AM
For me the external Hd from Microsoft is too expensive and it will not use it for games. What a shame.

I would rather buy a Playstation 3 than X-Box 360 + HD.

That is me.

It looks very nice.

Thanks for the pictures.

May be you are right but , i bought this like almost a year ago. and i dont have patience to wait another year to buy PS3... And anyway there is not that many exclusive games for PS3. They pretty much :banana::banana::banana::banana:ed up themselves.....

squilliam
11-10-2006, 04:25 PM
I hope you'll find this useful.
http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2006/11/09/Procedural_Textures_Future_Gam/1.html
It basically is showing that
bigger disc spaces are no
longer neccessary.

Thus meaning that Next-Gen
discs are not a neccessary
componentfor Next-Gen games.

I have some actual examples from a recent game, Roboblitz. In this game, we replaced about 95% of the textures. The game has 6 levels and for each level the developers would use 80MB of compressed textures. So, let's do the numbers, a total of 6x80=480MB. Using our tools we replaced the 480MB with about 3MB of procedural data, a pretty spectacular decrease in game size.

The game now fits within 50MB and can be downloaded through Xbox Live. Without our technology this game would weigh approx 50MB-3MB+480MB=527MB. So the gain, for Roboblitz, we saved 90% of the entire game size. That is a massive gain for the developers which allows them to reach the Live audience - something they couldn't otherwise have done.

Soulburner
11-10-2006, 04:46 PM
With a cost to CPU crunching time...do you want size or performance?

And tell me how you are going to shrink HD video content? Doesn't work exactly the same as the rest of the game.

squilliam
11-10-2006, 05:12 PM
There in lies the question: are you buying the
media to watch a movie or are you buying it to
play a game? If you want to watch a movie in
HD, then buy a HD player, if not, then why worry?

:slap:

Soulburner
11-14-2006, 05:38 PM
That's the thing, there is no need to buy an external player with these newer systems including them.

It is an interesting way of shrinking game size, but I wonder what its affects on performance are. I am sure there are limitations to how much they can get away with, and whether or not a big studio would use it on their games. We will have to wait and see.

squilliam
11-15-2006, 10:10 PM
A REALLY nice new bonus is that the HD-DVD add on
for the 360 is now able to hook up to computers with
a couple of new drivers. A $200 HD-DVD player is
unheard of for a PC. Most of the people on here seem
to lean a little on the PC side :D

BobyTT
11-15-2006, 10:43 PM
A REALLY nice new bonus is that the HD-DVD add on
for the 360 is now able to hook up to computers with
a couple of new drivers. A $200 HD-DVD player is
unheard of for a PC. Most of the people on here seem
to lean a little on the PC side :D

Where is the driver?

I found all the info.

squilliam
11-18-2006, 04:29 AM
Where is the driver?

I found all the info.

Sorry for the long wait. I had
forgotten where I found this stuff at.

http://uneasysilence.com/archive/2006/11/8303/

Peeps42
12-15-2006, 12:28 PM
im going to buy a hd dvd drive when the price drops

BobyTT
12-15-2006, 12:50 PM
im going to buy a hd dvd drive when the price drops

I dont think you are going to wait more than 9-10 months

[cTx]Philosophy
12-15-2006, 04:53 PM
I got the kids a 360 and the graphics are decent enough without HD for now, although I dont have the HD cables I dont really think the HD-DVD player will be in my buy list..

Soulburner
12-16-2006, 09:11 AM
Philosophy']I got the kids a 360 and the graphics are decent enough without HD for now, although I dont have the HD cables I dont really think the HD-DVD player will be in my buy list..
Well unless you plan on watching HD-DVD movies then don't worry about it, it won't do anything for games. And you'll need a nice TV too ;)

oqvist
12-16-2006, 11:30 AM
Are you freaking kidding me? On my LCD 32 TV even using component cables looks like :banana::banana::banana::banana:. Get your boys a HD VGA cable in christmas present you will be amazed at the difference...

HD DVD movies if you have a smallish tv is not necessary but 32 or larger you really want one. But that is optional but HD VGA cable is a must on anything 32 or above...

ugp
12-19-2006, 07:42 PM
I have mine hooked up to a 42" Sony LCD with Component cables. I am getting the Monster Component cables tomorrow from work. Should help out on the quality a lot.

I want to get the HD-DVD Player. As time goes on I am sure if they games need the space they could use the HD-DVD drive to run the games. I wouldn't see why not. There is even talk about turning the 360 into a DVR as well with an external tuner.

squilliam
12-20-2006, 03:01 AM
Newegg had the drive for $189.99 yesterday.
They took the sale down rather quickly...

oqvist
12-20-2006, 03:07 AM
I am thinking of getting neither. I am waiting for online distribution to really kick in. Having 100 mbit broadband 13 gb movies shouldn´t be a problem :)

[cTx]Philosophy
12-20-2006, 04:51 AM
Just bought gears and superman for the kids to go along with PGR3, now all we need is cables and were set :P

60" HD rear projection here

ugp
12-20-2006, 06:55 AM
Philosophy']Just bought gears and superman for the kids to go along with PGR3, now all we need is cables and were set :P

60" HD rear projection here
Get the Monster Component cables. If you have a surround sound pick up the optical cable as well. Best cables out there.

Kingcarcas
12-20-2006, 05:08 PM
Dear god no, go over to monoprice.com and get your cables:slap:

Mako88
12-22-2006, 03:14 PM
Jesus Christ, ugp what kind of rube must you be to suggest Monster Cables? Total garbage bro, condiser today your wake-up call. Monster sucks.

What's next, you going to recommend he pick up a "sweet high-end audio system like a Bose waveradio" to go with them? ;)

No wonder you've got a Mac...rofl

afireinside
12-30-2006, 10:28 AM
LOL! Yes, monster cable sucks. But does any other company make an improved 360 component cable? Then again it PROBABLY won't make much a difference but what do I know.

Anyway I have my 360 running into a 60" sony 60A2000 LCoS (rear projection LCD) TV with the HD drive and I think GORGEOUS is the only way I can describe how amazing Batman Begins was in one word ;) Plus the drive can be uses on the PC as well. HD is the future and if you have a 360 + 720/1080 capable display, you'd be a fool not to pick this up.

Lestat
12-30-2006, 06:50 PM
Are you freaking kidding me? On my LCD 32 TV even using component cables looks like :banana::banana::banana::banana:. Get your boys a HD VGA cable in christmas present you will be amazed at the difference...

HD DVD movies if you have a smallish tv is not necessary but 32 or larger you really want one. But that is optional but HD VGA cable is a must on anything 32 or above...

before you make such a suggestion you may want to look at the TV spec's for nearly 99% of all HD tv's that use VGA.

i have never seen a TV that would accept anything over 1360/768 or 1366/768 over VGA.
if it does the picture ir wacko, the aspect ratio is out of whack .
or its way too expensive of a TV for most people.