PDA

View Full Version : Scavenger Hunt

Shpoon
10-25-2006, 03:32 PM
So...I was thinking to myself about making a competition, and need some input.

I was thinking about making a competition that's different than the usual "get the highest score" since I mean, not everyone can afford that, why make the rich, richer? So why not do something to help those who want to upgrade?:p:

So, how about a scavenger hunt?

I was thinking of throwing in $50 as a prize (I know, not a lot, but it's out of my pocket, don't complain), and getting a big list of things (computer related, as well as other random fun things). Participants would have to submit pictures (with their name + date on a card, ala FS/FT section) in the picture to verify each thing, and at the end, whoever has the most (or if numerous, it's a draw) things found wins the money.

So questions:

1. Is this even worth the time, or is $50 an "insult"?
2. Who would be willing to participate? Think this could be fun?
3. If this happens, should it be $50, or a $50 gift certificate to somewhere?
4. Should there be an entrance fee (very small), or just the $50 + whoever's kind enough to enter?

Thanks for your time....

ZX7891
10-25-2006, 03:56 PM
1. Yes, $50 is fine :)
2. Me, it would be fun
3. $50 gift certificate to newegg/zzf/monarch for those in US, cash for those in europe
4. Entrance fee of like $1-2

Shpoon
10-25-2006, 04:06 PM
1. Yes, $50 is fine :)
2. Me, it would be fun
3. $50 gift certificate to newegg/zzf/monarch for those in US, cash for those in europe
4. Entrance fee of like $1-2

If there was an enterance fee, it'd be added to the $50 I think, unless there was somehow so much, then I'd put in less :p:

Any idea how paypal works with low value money? Are there any fees for 1-2$ transfers? (I'm not a premier member, just verified)

ex2cib
10-25-2006, 05:01 PM
we've had them before here

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=57578

old thread, just so you know...thats basically your normal scavenger hunt

Shpoon
10-25-2006, 05:37 PM
we've had them before here

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=57578

old thread, just so you know...thats basically your normal scavenger hunt

Well:

1) Would you be interested?
2) That's not really the same thing...that's whoever has no life takes time to freaken search for a little picture ;) I'm thinking more an interactive thing...

ex2cib
10-25-2006, 09:11 PM
1) no, because i really dont have the time, school sucks
2) call it what you want, but in scavenger hunts you have to find things..." thinks of EVGA 'scavenger' hunt"

oohms
10-26-2006, 12:16 AM
That sounds like fun, id be up for that!

As for an entry fee... I guess ill have to figure out how paypal works and such

Celcius
10-26-2006, 12:17 PM
entry fee = no
scavenger hunt = yes

Shpoon
10-26-2006, 04:49 PM
Hmm 111 views and only 4 people are interested? All it takes is a quick post :/

xlink
10-26-2006, 08:43 PM
how about a scavenger hunt for glory but no money involved?

and i'd be interested if the above were true.
I'm unable to donate money to a cause(only 17 and no credit card yet) and I'd feal guilty fi i took a prize without donating something of value to you or something similar.

plus i'd cheat to win if real $$$ were involved... it's really easy to photoshop your name and a card into a picture.:D

Shpoon
10-27-2006, 03:05 AM
how about a scavenger hunt for glory but no money involved?

and i'd be interested if the above were true.
I'm unable to donate money to a cause(only 17 and no credit card yet) and I'd feal guilty fi i took a prize without donating something of value to you or something similar.

plus i'd cheat to win if real $$$ were involved... it's really easy to photoshop your name and a card into a picture.:D

Not as easy as you think....say I said "skyscraper" you trying to get a picture of someone holding the card in the shot with your name written on it (in a way that doesn't look like ass, isn't that easy.

xlink
10-28-2006, 08:42 PM
you underestimate my(and others) photoshop skills...

Shpoon
10-29-2006, 07:31 AM
you underestimate my(and others) photoshop skills...

Alright, go for it. Here's one:

Library.

Picture must have a library in it, with a cue card with your name and date on it.

If you can do that, I'll change the rules a bit.

Lestat
10-29-2006, 06:43 PM
if you have the balls to be dishonest in this type of a thing you have just disqualified yourself and all your little photochop crew.

this guy is putting $50 bucks out of his own pocket to have a little fun and you wanna cheat.. grow up for christs sake.

shpoon with little punks like this rolling around i doubt the contest would end in an honest way unless you can think of ways that couldnt be mimicked.

and charge a $1 entry fee that will go into the kitty for the prize money. setup an independant paypal account.
or have someone you trust do the paypaling.

Shpoon
10-29-2006, 06:54 PM
if you have the balls to be dishonest in this type of a thing you have just disqualified yourself and all your little photochop crew.

this guy is putting $50 bucks out of his own pocket to have a little fun and you wanna cheat.. grow up for christs sake.

shpoon with little punks like this rolling around i doubt the contest would end in an honest way unless you can think of ways that couldnt be mimicked.

and charge a $1 entry fee that will go into the kitty for the prize money. setup an independant paypal account.

Thanks for the support :)

I just thought of something...

I was thinking a month long contest, with 31 objects to find, how about, the contest is free, but if you can't get something, you can paypal $1-2 (up to 3 items) and you can get them scratched from your list?

Just throwing out ideas here; I'm definitely going to do this though, I think it'll be a lot of fun.

[cTx]Philosophy
11-01-2006, 12:55 PM
^^ this guy loves contests ^^

Just hates when I always win em :P

Good idea I guess, but the choppers will def win ur 50 bux dude..

Shpoon
11-08-2006, 01:15 PM
Mmkay, will be doing this, especially after Mr. Pr0 photoshop didn't do anything...

Will start making a list and such, I'm down the $50 though for a bit, so bear with me

Benjie
11-08-2006, 05:21 PM
This sounds like a laugh, although i do warn people. I have an incredibly large collection of random stuff in this house lol

$1-2 seems like a fair entry fee for a scavenger hunt.

Could even have a few of the most random items go towards the prize fund :P Theres nothing quite like winning a 2mb stick of EDO ram for your hard work!

xlink
11-11-2006, 12:30 PM

no i was saying eliminate the purse. I don't think i'd actually cheat, if I were to cheat, I wouldn't have mentioned the possibility of cheating whatsoever.

HaxR3
11-12-2006, 12:13 PM
you have a pretty good point there xlink!

i wud participate lol, if its old old old pc hardware then id be in luck! (386 era lol)

MrSlacker
11-13-2006, 04:37 PM
I am in unless most of the things will be ancient computer parts.

cMw
11-14-2006, 09:48 PM
ill do it

mat128
11-20-2006, 10:04 PM
it would be nice, either with or without money and I think the best would be to have the 50$ transfered through paypal, because lets say you give a gift certificate for a store only available in US or something.. you get it?

PS: just checked and you're from Canada! yippy ;)

punisher69
11-23-2006, 11:46 AM
I would give it a try.

KingDingeling
11-24-2006, 01:10 PM
I'm in!
and I agree with mat128, 50$ paypal transfer would be much better as people like me from Europe can't do much with a newegg coupon! And thanks already for putting the 50$ from your pocket into this, very generous!

-thc-(cZ)
12-22-2006, 07:05 AM
i'd scratch the money and just play for fun.. just so that we can get this started already :D

Shpoon
12-22-2006, 08:19 AM
It's gonna be happening right at new years, going the month of January. I have everything ready, and was going to do it for december, then realize I and many others have way to much to do at Christmas time to take pictures of things.

zon
12-28-2006, 10:48 AM
please have one of the "quest" involving hot girls :)

flclisgreat
12-28-2006, 09:08 PM
please have one of the "quest" involving hot girls :)

:slap:

joke :p

neet idea, i might participate

rajanm1
01-05-2007, 07:48 AM
i'll give it a go if it is in feb, cos i have xams in jan :-(

Motley
01-07-2007, 01:45 PM
Count me in...

AsAsIn8eR
01-08-2007, 08:26 AM
I don't get this?Is it an overclocking contest or what?

Shpoon
01-08-2007, 11:53 AM
No...it's a scavenger hunt...and I keep meaning to start it, but I have so much going on..it'll happen shortly don't worry.

bigdaddy25fb
01-12-2007, 06:32 PM
Is it happening soon? If so I'm in...I have some extremely odd parts under my bed. Looking forward to this guys.