PDA

View Full Version : Vista RTM delayed

raccoonone
10-25-2006, 09:28 AM
http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/10/25/wiondows_vista_rtm/

"Microsoft will delay the release of the RTM (release to manufacturing) version, or build number 5824, of its Windows Vista operating system (OS) to the second week of November from the originally scheduled fourth week of October, according to sources at Taiwan PC makers who were informed by the software giant of the revised schedule."

Anyone else see this coming?

nn_step
10-25-2006, 09:35 AM
I did

Syn.
10-25-2006, 09:49 AM
its not even a month, we get less bugs at start who cares really we are still going to get it Jan/Feb time.

nn_step
10-25-2006, 09:50 AM
Odds it is going to be pushed back a little bit farther because a handful of security holes (about the size of Canada)

blink hi
10-25-2006, 09:54 AM
Ugh, need this to come out before I graduate so I can get a Uni discounted price :D

ChongL
10-25-2006, 10:12 AM
lol...i knew this would happen

raccoonone
10-25-2006, 10:17 AM
Odds it is going to be pushed back a little bit farther because a handful of security holes (about the size of Canada)
rofl, so true

NightCrawler™
10-25-2006, 10:53 AM
Oh noes....... now I can't use my uberpriced 8800GTX on a uberbloated OS with proper DX10 to play games that haven't even come out yet.... :slapass:

ochw
10-25-2006, 11:00 AM
see any one going to buy it?

Diverge
10-25-2006, 11:09 AM
5828 was held back due to more bugs, from what i've read. supposedly the current build is 5840, which is supposed to be the new RTM build... and it has already been leaked. Do a little searching and you will find it ;)

vitaminc
10-25-2006, 11:10 AM
see any one going to buy it?

not after its at a reasonable price...

RC1/2 serial should last through June 2007 if M$ doesnt pull the plug early.

And I have some compensation coupons from one of the M$ class litigation, so I am probably going to use them for Vista. :woot:

xpsentity
10-25-2006, 11:12 AM
Oh noes....... now I can't use my uberpriced 8800GTX on a uberbloated OS with proper DX10 to play games that haven't even come out yet.... :slapass:

NightCrawler wins! :clap:

Diverge
10-25-2006, 07:24 PM
Vista 5840.. suposedly RTM. Seems to work good so far for me. Installs a lot faster too.

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/6848/vistartmsg7.th.jpg (http://img82.imageshack.us/my.php?image=vistartmsg7.jpg)

edit: seems MS has some typos in their systeminfo tool.. or the OS name has them. edit2: acutally it seems there are a few errors reported in that tool. it says i only have once cpu/1 core... but device manager says otherwise (as it should).

edit3: another way to verify build #

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/927/dxdiagtu3.th.jpg (http://img120.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dxdiagtu3.jpg)

derektm
10-25-2006, 07:26 PM
Can you email me the ISO?

kidding.... :p:

Thorry
10-26-2006, 12:53 AM
5828 had a problem where when upgrading from Windows XP it could f*ck up the bootsector and partition table thus rendering the PC inuseable.

The problem had creaped in a couple of builds before that but since it doesn't happen a lot (only 1 in 10000 cases or something) they hadn't cought it before.

The fix was simple enough but they then had to do a load more testing to make sure it was all gone so that's why there is a bit of a delay.

Nothing to worry about... or is it? :D

Afterburner
10-26-2006, 03:15 AM
Vista 5840.. suposedly RTM
I was downloading halfway last nite but cancelled it. How did you install it ? Did you enter a CPP / RC key or are you limited to 30 days.... :confused:

Complete
10-26-2006, 03:50 AM
Screw Vista and its.... install once.. and replace a motherboard.. and you have to buy another copy....

Ill just wait.. :) Looks like I stick with XP until someone finds away around that mess.

XS Janus
10-26-2006, 04:54 AM
I just hope they fix the problems with lots of errors happening while opening folders with lots of different types and sizes video files - like no thumbnails, COM surrogate error or even the whole win Explorer chrashing.
M$ GET THIS STUFF FIXED
________
Herbal shop (http://herbalhealthshop.com)

Diverge
10-26-2006, 05:06 AM
I was downloading halfway last nite but cancelled it. How did you install it ? Did you enter a CPP / RC key or are you limited to 30 days.... :confused:

From what I've read, the CCP/RC keys don't work. I didn't try any of mine, I just left the key blank and proceeded to install - it limits it to 30 days though.

Diverge
10-26-2006, 05:11 AM
I just hope they fix the problems with lots of errors happening while opening folders with lots of different types and sizes video files - like no thumbnails, COM surrogate error or even the whole win Explorer chrashing.
M$ GET THIS STUFF FIXED

One thing they didn't fix yet (build 5840) from the previous builds is the problems some people have with vista seeing raid arrays. I did a little test with 5840, and it still does not see my raid array from a DVD-boot install, or if i boot to a single drive vista5840-install with my array connected. The only way I got RC2 to install on my array was to install XP first and force it to take my raid drivers while installing from XP... not fun at all.

dunno if this is MS' problem or nvidia's...

Afterburner
10-26-2006, 06:15 AM
it limits it to 30 days though.
I read you.... :)

Diverge
10-26-2006, 06:40 PM
11. Warez/Pirated Software
ABSOLUTELY NO discussion or posting of Warez (Pirated Software) or links to Warez sites. All such sites are illegal and pose a threat to our continued existence.

This includes descriptions on how to do it....DON'T DO IT.

-Vapor

Kingcarcas
10-26-2006, 09:57 PM
^ LOL, no surprise here M$ :p:

:rofl:

Diverge
10-27-2006, 05:13 AM
11. Warez/Pirated Software
ABSOLUTELY NO discussion or posting of Warez (Pirated Software) or links to Warez sites. All such sites are illegal and pose a threat to our continued existence.

This includes descriptions on how to do it....DON'T DO IT.

-Vapor

k, no problem. I didn't think posting about something that is included_with/part_of the operating system would be illegal. I won't mention it again. :(

Thorry
10-27-2006, 05:28 AM
Screw Vista and its.... install once.. and replace a motherboard.. and you have to buy another copy....

Ill just wait.. :) Looks like I stick with XP until someone finds away around that mess.

Windows XP has the exact same thing... and it isn't a technical reason, it's legal.

If you buy a OEM license it's only ment for one PC, so if you change your hardware (changing the mobo is like putting the hdd in another system) your license is no longer valid.

Windows XP OEM licenses are the same, Windows 2000 OEM licenses are the same, Windows 98 licenses are the same.

You aren't supposed to be able to buy a OEM license for your PC, only OEM's can to supply with new computers.

If you buy a regular license (or a student license if you are a poor student) there is no issue at all. OEM licenses cost a lot less as a regular license, but you get what you pay for...

I don't know where people are getting all these crazy ideas from.

There are only two negative things you can say about Vista:

It isn't all that different from XP, nothing compared to 3.11 -> 95 or 98 -> 2000.

2nd thing is they didn't put in all the things they wanted to, this is sad for everybody, but you have to be realistic, we all want a lot but usually don't get everything we want.

If you don't like XP now, you prolly won't like Vista. But if you are using XP today you'll just as easily use Vista.

Don't go making up non-existant reasons to bash on Vista just because it's a Microsoft product.