PDA

View Full Version : any way to force WU stacking?

joshd
10-21-2006, 03:17 AM
even if I set network activity to 10 days, it will not stack work as it always has a remaining estimate of 100000 hours ish, so it thinks it is fine for the next 10 days.

is there any way to force it to stack up a few WUs, for when I am away at weekends etc?

[XC] mysticmerlin
10-21-2006, 03:28 AM
Never mind I am a :am: maybe run virtual machines to keep it busy?

joshd
10-21-2006, 04:18 AM
it only has 256mb ram, but it is running win98, so that may be a plan. I will try it when I get back, after the weekend.

thanks

brot
10-21-2006, 05:22 AM
just do the following:

suspend the tasks you are running and force an update. So it will fetch a new workunit, and you may repeat this until your pc has enough to do for the weekend...

meshmesh
10-21-2006, 06:23 AM
brot suggestion will work. However, since you want to download a week's worth, you may need to do a lot of them (about 100 on my cruncher). So, how about:

Go to WCG
Logon
Click on MyGrid from the top menu
From the left menu click on Device manager
In the list pf devices, click on the Selected Profile you want to edit
Under network usage, change the value of "Connect to network about every" = 7 days.
Click save button at the bottom of the page.

In Boinc manager:
In the projects tab, hihjlight the WCG project.
Click update.
Be patient, it may defer communication for a few minutes
it should start to download a whole bunch of new tasks.

Note: If you are already crunching other projects in addition to WCG and have other tasks downloaded, it may decide not to add more (expiry dates, etc...). Don't know much about how it handles this issue. I only crunch one project at a time.