PDA

View Full Version : BETA 5.04 WU's

Jaco
10-20-2006, 12:46 PM
Today i received a lot of BETA 5.04 Wu's.

Most of these work units don't finish properly, i get 'unrecoverable errors'

Is this ok , is this supposed to be ?
Do I get credits for these WU's?

Anyone experiencing something similar?

David_L6
10-20-2006, 01:00 PM
So far I've had of those 5 WU's complete and received an error on all of them. I just aborted 4 others. Still have 2 running on one computer. One of those is 95+% complete. If it results in an error I'll abort the other one.

EDIT: Another one just finished and is an error of some type. That's 6 of of those WU's that have run today on my computers and all of them ended in error. I've aborted the other 5.

EDIT #2: 23.93 hours of run time that ended in errors........:(

RickH
10-20-2006, 01:10 PM
It's a bad batch of misconfigured WUs; they compute normally, but then fail to upload the results properly. It's already been reported to the WCG grid techs, and they're fixing it. It's beta; stuff happens.

The best place to keep tabs on beta problems is in the Beta Announcements (http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/listthreads?forum=181) and Beta Support (http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/listthreads?forum=161) forums at WCG.

RickH
10-20-2006, 02:14 PM
23.93 hours of run time that ended in errors........:(
Not to harp on the obvious, but it's beta... errors are expected. The job of the beta tester is to throw himself on the broken WU grenade and take the hit for the community, so that bugs are found and fixed before they can affect tens of thousands of other crunchers.

In this case, the grid techs are generously going into the database and manually granting us all 30 BOINC points per failed WU, but they can't always do that. Wasted crunch time is part of the beta tester's job description... except it's never really wasted, it just doesn't necessarily give you any points.

[XC] mysticmerlin
10-21-2006, 01:49 AM
6 of 6 failed :(
Edit: make that 8 of 13 :upset: