PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking - Myth or Fact

SlyMaelstrom
10-20-2006, 11:05 AM
I was told once that the best time to buy a processor to overclock is at the end of it's production cycle. This is because if they start making a newer model, sometimes in the end of the older model's production cycle, they actually just use newer model chips just clocked at the speed of the old model. By model, I of course mean the same core, same line of processors, just for instance... if they clocked an E6600 at the speed of an E6400 and sold it as an E6400. Anyone know if this is true? I thought it sounded interesting.

dig412
10-20-2006, 11:27 AM
I've never heard of this, just that some chips are the slightly defective versions of the next model up, just clocked down to ensure stability.

LagunaX
10-20-2006, 11:35 AM
Don't think it could be a e6600 sold as a e6400 as the mb cache is different, but possible for e6400-->e6300, x6800/e6700-->e6600.

BlueBiker
10-20-2006, 12:10 PM
When chips have been in production for a long time, there are fewer defective ones and a higher percentage capable of running at faster speeds. The manufacturers will sell faster-capable chips as slower versions if it makes sense given a) what they have in inventory, and b) what the market is prepared to purchase.

However, the current Conroe situation is unusual. It hit the ground with a very high percentage of chips able to overclock like mad. One could speculate that this would get even better over time, but there're no guarantees.

If you buy a 3GHz part, the only thing you're promised is that it'll run at 3GHz -- regardless of when it was manufactured or purchased.