PDA

View Full Version : XtremeAudio vs XtremeGamer vs XtremeMusic

douirc
10-19-2006, 07:19 PM
XtremeAudio - $65
XtremeGamer - $90
XtremeMusic - $110

If all i'm doing is gaming, will the XtremeAudio do the job, or is there reason to get the ExtremeMusic? everyone keeps saying how much better games sound on the X-Fi, but do I need the high-end stuff or can I get the same results with the XtremeAudio for $65?

BlaqMale
10-19-2006, 08:05 PM
guess it also depends on what you connect to the soundcard, speakers/ headphones, how good those are as well.

i think saying your speakers should cost the same as your soundcard sounds reasonable.

douirc
10-19-2006, 09:04 PM
i have the old altec lansing ATP3 but the sound is still pretty good.

http://www.amazon.com/Lansing-ATP3-3-Piece-Speaker-System/dp/B00004XRED

i just want to get the most out of my games, like BF2. I'm guessing the entry level X-Fi will do the trick?

BlaqMale
10-19-2006, 11:54 PM
i don't know nuch of the two new versions but since you said gaming so i'ld say the xtremegamer, that's if you can justify the extra 25 bucks over the entry level.

Reinvented
10-20-2006, 12:24 AM
XtremeGamer is like the fatality...just a bit better components. Xtrememusic is just fine.

douirc
10-20-2006, 04:15 AM
XtremeGamer is like the fatality...just a bit better components. Xtrememusic is just fine.
yeah, but xtrememusic is the most expensive and the xtemegamer is so close in price to the xtrememusic :(

i was hoping someone would say just get the entry level one and i'll be fine, but it sounds like i need to fork up and get the gamer or music version.

kimbo
10-20-2006, 07:25 AM
I have the XtremeMusic it is really good for games. I stepped up from an Audigy 2 and I could hear a significant difference in EAX/sound quality. When I was on Creative's site I was looking at the comparison for the xtemegamer and xtrememusic and the specs looked the same.:fact:

douirc
10-20-2006, 09:07 AM
I have the XtremeMusic it is really good for games. I stepped up from an Audigy 2 and I could hear a significant difference in EAX/sound quality. When I was on Creative's site I was looking at the comparison for the xtemegamer and xtrememusic and the specs looked the same.:fact:
funny you mention checking the specs. i right away went to compare the xtremeaudio against the other two and they don't display the specs on the audio version. hmm...wondering if that's because they don't want to show you it's the same as the other two, just for less cost :)

douirc
10-20-2006, 02:22 PM
i found this exact thread on creative's forum, but still unclear on which to buy. the platinum is looking attractive as they're offering a $50 rebate!

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=soundblaster&message.id=78388

kimbo
10-20-2006, 04:02 PM
I think functionally that they are all basically the same card aside from the various software support offered for each type of card. BUT there are ways to get around that.:toast:

ak_47_boy
10-20-2006, 04:32 PM
I would not buy a super high end card unless you:
A. Have eg. HD600 headphones or a nice hi-fi systems to hook it up to.
B. Want the special outputs like coax or whatever.

$60 would be a good price to pay for normal stuff.

douirc
10-20-2006, 06:40 PM
I think I'm gonna get the XtremeGamer. I put the specs side by side. the only real difference I see is the X-RAM, but from what I keep reading, only games can natively use it, not XP and not Vista, and hardly any games are designed to take advantage of it. knowing this, I don't see the reason behind spending the extra money to have something that I might never use. that leaves me with the Music and Gamer versions, and side by side, the specs looks almost identical. so, i'm going Gamer for $90 and save myself a few bucks :)

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/7515/xfidi0.th.jpg (http://img139.imageshack.us/my.php?image=xfidi0.jpg)

WeStSiDePLaYa
10-21-2006, 11:53 PM
never seen the x-fi gamer or x-fi audio in canada yet.

seems the only difference between the two is the x-fi audio has HD EAX 5.0 disabled via drivers.

EDIT: but if they are trying to sell the x-fi music for the same price as the x-fi gamer,(like on their shop) take the x-fi music, better quality board.

looks like creative may be trying to make a few bucks by replacing the x-fi music with the x-fi gamer, since the music would be significantly more expensive to produce.

Vito
12-04-2006, 02:30 PM
So the XtremeMusic is just a slightly better version of the XtremeGamer?

According to that comparison there isn't much difference.

How much of a difference would xram actually make?

Teratism
12-04-2006, 07:03 PM
All X-fi's below fatal1ty are the same just changed by drivers. The fatal1ty is the same but has x-ram, the elite pro is the only one with changed dacs

TimPrice
12-05-2006, 07:18 AM
any hack firmware or something? :P

Teratism
12-05-2006, 09:27 AM
Most likely somewhere on the net.

|Aegi3|
12-12-2006, 06:12 PM
Rule the Xtreme audio out, leaves sound processing up to the cpu = bad will drop framerates, xtreme audio is not for gaming...

Either the Xtreme music or gamer. On newegg theres only a 2$ price difference, the xtreme music is only 92 and also has a 20$ rebate

Hey_Its_Cole
12-14-2006, 12:59 AM
All X-fi's below fatal1ty are the same just changed by drivers. The fatal1ty is the same but has x-ram, the elite pro is the only one with changed dacs

This is right.

tjelaw
12-14-2006, 04:52 AM
This is right.
except for the newly release xtreme audio & xtreme gamer :)

aintz
12-14-2006, 08:52 PM
gamer and music are basically the same

tjelaw
12-15-2006, 01:54 AM
If were talking about the same card, Xtreme Gamer, it might have the same features but:
- the PCB is totally diffirent
- soundchip is diffirent
- no connector for expansion bay

The Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro however is the same as the, Music, Platinum & Fatal1ty. Only with added xram.
If you look at the pics of the card itself and not at the specs it all becomes clear :)

Leon2ky
12-15-2006, 03:17 PM
I'd advise the XtremeMusic.

TWY
12-29-2006, 06:34 AM
On the XtremeMusic, there are 3 different modes you could use.. Is it a must to switch to Gaming Mode before gaming, or leaving it in Entertainment Mode is fine (I use Entertainment as my default because I like to 'duplicate' my front channels to my rear channels when listening to music - like the 'Stereo x2' mode in Audigy 2)?

OT: For the higher-end models, do I need to switch to Gaming Mode to utilise the X-RAM, or leaving in Entertainment/Audio Creation mode is fine assuming the X-RAM utilization is by the game coding?

TIA! :)