PDA

View Full Version : Terra Soft Announces Linux-based OS for PS3

jbizzler
10-19-2006, 03:04 PM
Click image to enlargeSony and Terra Soft make good on the "PC Killer" promise

Sony has said in the past that the PlayStation 3 would render traditional PCs useless given its powerful processing platform and Linux-based operating system. "We believe that the PS3 will be the place where our users play games, watch films, browse the Web, and use other [home] computer functions. The PlayStation 3 is a computer. We do not need the PC," said Sony's Phil Harrision in late May.

It appears that Harrison's dream is coming true. The PS3 hasn't even been released yet, but Colorado-based Terra Soft has announced a 3rd-party Linux-based operating system for the console. Yellow Dog Linux v5.0 fully supports the PlayStation 3 platform, is built on Fedora Core 5.0 and brings the following to the table:

kernel 2.6.16

gcc 4.1.1 and glibc 2.4

Cell SDK 1.1

OpenOffice.org 2.0.2

FireFox 1.5.0 and Thunderbird 1.5.0

Nautilus 2.14

Suite of Personal Accessories, Development Tools; Sound & Video, Internet, and

Networking applications

The operating system will come with an easy to use installer to make installation a breeze. For those that are little more adventurous, a more advanced installer will be available giving users access to over 1,500 packages. According to Terra Soft, Yellow Dog Linux v5.0 is fully sanctioned by SCEI and incorporates code and input from Sony, Barcelona Supercomputing Center, Sony Group, and Fedora.

With this announcement, it makes more sense for buyers to rush for the high-end version of the PS3. That version’s a 60GB hard drive, wireless adapter and media reader would make the most of using the PS3 as a PC replacement.

Source: DailyTech (http://dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4621)

jbizzler
10-19-2006, 03:05 PM
I wonder just how well this will allow me to develop for the PS3. It's got Cell SDK, but how will people be able to access the power of NVIDIA's RSX?

nn_step
10-19-2006, 03:09 PM
Once again Linux gets ported everywhere

mursaat
10-19-2006, 03:30 PM
I wonder how good will Cedega work on PS3 for DX games. Now that would p**s Bill for sure, playing Halo 2 on a PS3 :)

erwinz
10-19-2006, 03:43 PM
nice :D looking forward for this..

jbizzler
10-19-2006, 05:00 PM
When Sony fist said they'd allow Linux on the PS3, I was worried they'd make a stripped-down, security loaded build. I never expected the first build of Linux for the PS3 Yellowdog. Now for a wireless keyboard and mouse...

First good news about the PS3 in a long time.

Doubt we'll see Cedeg emulating Vista anytime soon.

Anyone else hear rumors UT2007 mods will run on the PS3? That'd be exciting.

xpsentity
10-19-2006, 05:10 PM
It's cool and all - still hawking mine on Ebay :D

"We do not need the PC" or whatever is absurd.

I wonder how good will Cedega work on PS3 for DX games. Now that would p**s Bill for sure, playing Halo 2 on a PS3 :)

LMAO

jbizzler
10-20-2006, 02:30 PM
Will it simply use OpenGL for 3d graphics?

I hope/wish UT2007 for the PC will ship with a Linux build...

I wonder how it will conflict with the OS built in...

And where is Sony's openess witht he PSP! I'd love to make PSP apps.